How Many Tobaccos Do You Have Open and Smoking at Once?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
So I was wondering what most people have to smoke at once. I usually have two to three types of tobacco open in a mason jar so i can have a little bit of selection when i relax with my pipe. Whats in your rotation at once?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Out of over 200 pounds in my closet, I have no set rotation. No rhyme or reason, just whatever suits my mood. Well over 70 blends to pick and choose from.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
How do you store it and if in mason jars how long do they hold before they start to dry out?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Currently working on 5 tins, one jar and two 1-pound bags. Oh, and that pouch of Carter Hall.
I TRY to keep it down to one open from each "family" of blends, but it varies,
jay-roger.jpg

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Good to know a mason jar will hold it that long! Now I can open and smoke to whatever I desire. :D

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
14 mason jars and a tub of Chatham Manor are open although if I get a hankering for something else I will dig it out and open it. Life is short smoke what you want!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@jayski
Your question about Mason jars implicates a number of underlying issues. Some smokers cellar their tobacco in Mason jars that they keep sealed until they are ready to consume all of the contents; the reason for this is a belief that aging will improve the tobacco, and knowledge that opening the jar interrupts the aging process and changes the leaf, so that an opened jar when re-opened may not deliver the maximum tobacco experience. Others just keep stuff in Mason jars and enjoy it when they can.
I cannot equal the Cosmic record, but my problem tends to be that if something strikes me as delicious, I smoke it all up. Then again, I do not require high variety in anything, only a high degree of internal complexity (no OGS or LTF here). However, I also have a small army of little jars full of stuff that I intend to try, but they get pre-empted when a tin of Royal Yacht -- and when I say tobacco, this is what I am talking about -- walks right into my office and pops its own lid, shrieking SMOKE ME in an adorable pixie voice. Look, there goes another. I'll get to them all eventually, I hope.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I break up a pound into four, four ounce jars. I will use up one jar before proceeding to the next, but it takes me awhile to do that. A pound generally lasts me around 5 to 6 months.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I have about 24 blends in plastic tubs that I rotate between. I use the metal humidifier disks to keep them from drying out.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A pound generally lasts me around 5 to 6 months.
I am inferring from your earlier posts that this is in rotation with other blends.
The classic formula seemed to be five bowls a day, of 3-5g each, which means 105-175g per week, or 4-7 ounces. The 14 oz tub seems to reflect that (1-2 per month for light and heavy smokers respectively).
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the maniacs here went through a pound a month minimum, especially the people who are fortunate enough to require little sleep. A pipe is a great companion to a nighthawk.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have the same philosophy as Chasingembers. My five drawer dresser is completely full of jars that I am up for opening anytime I get a taste for something. That’s the part I love so much about pipe smoking, I love the variety. I’ve tried to narrow down my rotation but then I thought, why? I have hundreds of more jars and tins and bags in my closet (cellar) that are basically just my back up due to obscurity and rising prices. I’ll also get into those anytime I have a hankering. Life is too short to worry about having too many tins/jars open at once.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Fortunately I have a few dozen half-pint jars that I draw from at any given time. I never set out for that to happen, it just built up over time. In a month, I'll probably smoke 10 different blends. These 10 I suppose would be my rotation.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
27 sitting next to me, jarred up; the jars are in a 3-tier drawer unit -- 3 x 3 jars per 3 drawers. The top drawer contains my Virginia rotation; the middle my Latakia; and the bottom is a mix of OTC, Lakeland, Deer tongue, and so on. Depending on the time of year, and my mood, I'm usually smoking primarily from the top or middle drawers.
I have another 30(ish) jars, crammed in my wife's side-table and hallway bookshelf, that contain treats. These aren't counting the larger jars that I have cellaring 8-16 oz of my favorite bulk options.
I keep a spreadsheet on the lot (as well as my humble cellar tins); I swear, it's not as crazy as it sounds.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I am inferring from your earlier posts that this is in rotation with other blends.
No set rotation, but I still have jars from pounds bought years ago. Total of a pound consumed in 5 to 6 months, not necessarily all from the same blend.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The classic formula seemed to be five bowls a day
A 1.5 inch deep chamber lasts me around two hours if I smoke it with no interruption, and I generally only smoke 2 bowls per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.