How Many Tobacco Blends in Your Cellar That You've Never Tried?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Everytime I look into my cellar, I want to open something new. But because I already have a couple dozen open varieties (in mason jar), I try to finish a jar before I open something new.
I just counted, and I've got 25 different tobacco blends in my cellar that I've not yet tried. And that doesn't even count things like all of the different years of Christmas Cheer I've got. And I have more blends I want to order. In fact, I blame you guys, but I find new tobacco I want to order and try quicker than I can get through a tin so I can open a new one.
So I'm at 25 untried blends. What are you all at?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
None, I think I have about 40 blends in the cellar but I have tried them all. That's why I bought them in the first place. The "problem" I have is that I have about 30 tins open right now.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I smoke it right away. If I like it I will want to order more.
Right now I have 36 4oz mason jars filled.

Sep 18, 2015
Quite a few, probably at least 20. I try to get several that have a similar description to what I know I like with each order. I do have 39 different blends open, I have been going thru and smoking one blend for a week at a time to try to get more of the subtleties out it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm with papipeguy, in that I have no blend on hand that I haven't smoked. Most of what I bring in is in bulk, but I've got some nice tins aging too. I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't already know something about them.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Darn you all!!!!
I have 24 blends I haven't tried. lol

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Not exactly sure but I think around 6-7 untried blends reside in my cellar. :puffy:

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I had a couple groupon deals on c&d tobacco and bought a lot, so that is why I have a lot of untried blends. I just don't smoke enough to go through them.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I had a bit of extra cash the end of '14 so I spent some on pipe tobacco.
I live in Europe and bought around 10lbs of American blends that we can't buy here, mainly Virginia and Vaper blends that should age well. I've cellared wide not deep, infact I've got no more than 3 tins of any one blend. I've never tried any of these tobaccos and plan on aging them for around 5 years before I start smoking them and then they be a rare treat.
I also have 27 tins of Euro blends that I've not tried, also bought in '14. I basically went through all the available tobaccos in the UK and bought a single tin of those that appeal, whilst it sounds alot C&D or McClellands probably produce more blends than we have available in the UK. My favourites of these I'm cellaring deeply.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I don't know how much, but I got the same problem as you. Since I don't smoke much when I buy tins that got 100grams I usually open it split in half and keep one bowl in a bag so that I can try it. So now I have like 15 open jars plus probably 15 ziploc bags of stuff to try!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing gets cellared here before being tried. Would hate to come across something, that I bought twenty tins of, years later that I don't like.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For the first time ever I have blends in my cellar that I have never smoked before. In the last month I have had the opportunity to buy a bunch of Esoterica aromatic and straight Virginia blends. I am a big fan of Stonehaven and I know Esoterica puts out only quality tobacco so I took the shot. I did do research on tobaccoreviews.com to see what jiminks and pipestud had to say about them. Here are the ones I bought.

Brighton

Cardiff

Hastings

Kingsbridge

Ramsgate

Tillbury

Woodbridge
I bought at least 2 pounds per blend and don't really know the total weight as I was buying it fast and furious from a few different sources. I normally will buy one tin of something, give a good shot and then if I like it load up. The only reason I did what I did with the Esoterica blends is that I know if I don't like something, I can always sit on it for 10 years and sell it for a bunch more than I paid.
I tried my first one yesterday and it was Ramsgate. I really enjoyed it and I am glad I have a bunch more to smoke. I have actually been smoking more and more aromatics and other cuts besides my beloved flakes. When I decided to try Blood Red Moon, I bought 5 tins instead of my normal one for tasting purposes. I am glad I got the 5 as I will be buying a bunch more. I stuck to my normal system when I tried one tin each of St Bruno Flake and Molto Dolce and have already begun to load up on the St Bruno and will also be buying more of the Molto.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
5 blends of mystery in the cellar, 1 tin of each and I blame the forum for all of this. Members keep talking about some awesome blend in delicious detail and I cave and throw in a tin when I make a restock order. Damn you for making me enjoy blends I had never heard of. End of rant.....I have a tin to open. :puffpipe:

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
+1 John (papipeguy) and shutterbug - none. I buy tobacco to try it and stock up if I like it. If I hate it I give it away at the next Pipe Club of London meeting. Anything in the middle goes on remand in a jar until I feel like giving it another try.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.