PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A simple question I'm embarrassed to ask after smoking so long, but how many times can you smoke a pipe in a given day before resting it? I keep several pipes next to me, and smoke each one in turn. By that caculus, i probably smoke a given pipe two or three times a day.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke the same one two to three times per day for a week before rotating. Have done so for decades to no ill effect.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
It all depends on the tobacco. Humectant-laced tobaccos like Sutliffs can trash a pipe in one bowl. Or I can smoke something drier like a C&D bulk blend 4-5 times before deciding to give the pipe a rest.
I've been on a Sutliff 515 RC-1 "Redcake" kick lately. I love the stuff, but I can let it sit out over 24 hours and it will never get crispy to the touch and will trash the bowl in 1 or 2 smokes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It all depends on the tobacco. Humectant-laced tobaccos like Sutliffs can trash a pipe in one bowl.
Wipe the bowl out with a paper towel and you're good to go.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Wipe the bowl out with a paper towel and you're good to go.
Oh, I do....and run pipe cleaners thru it too, but it will often still want to gurgle after just one bowl and it's just simpler to grab a dry pipe. It's also a great excuse to have lots and lots of pipes :)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't know how many times you CAN smoke a bowl in one day. I have found that the second bowl isn't as good as the first, so I try to rest them after each bowl. It's humid where I live, and things never really dry up, so I try to be safe rather than sorry. So far, none of my pipes have gone sour or rancid and I'd like to keep it that way.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Btw I don't think smoking several bowls in one day can damage a pipe. I think if it is done for a long time, the constant dampness MIGHT turn the inside of the bowl sour, just as damp clothes that are left lying around will sour.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Btw I don't think smoking several bowls in one day can damage a pipe.
I agree entirely. At worst an over-smoked pipe can taste a little 'off', or may not smoke as easily all the way down the bowl. I often take just one pipe on camping trips, and smoke 4-5 bowls a day for several days straight. Any pipe I've subjected to this treatment still smokes fine, but I can perceive some decreased performance after a couple days of this treatment, and I always give it a nice long rest once I return home.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've smoked one pipe 5 or so times on a few days when I had no alternative. No problem. But I keep the chamber dry. Normally I rotate with one or two smokes per bowl only.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I've known men who smoke one pipe all day, every day, day after day. One pipe is all they own or need.
Absolutely true. As somebody smart (maybe Cosmic?) once said on here, we have a bit of a distorted view of what constitutes a 'normal' smoking habit, as guys who only smoke one blend in one pipe all day long wouldn't really enjoy joining in the sorts of conversations we have on here.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I'm still a newbie but I smoke the same pipe several times that day unless I'm changing up what blend I'm smoking and then that's only if I've found a certain pipe tastes better with that blend. Like my cobbit and flake tobacco, they pair very well together.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never smoke the same pipe more than once a day. I want my tobacco to taste as good as it can so I give every blend a fresh pipe to be smoked in. A clean dry pipe will give me the best chance at reaching Nirvana.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
My meer and cobs I smoke several bowls a day in. Briars a bit less. I probably deep clean them more then I need to however.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
never smoke the same pipe more than once a day. I want my tobacco to taste as good as it can so I give every blend a fresh pipe to be smoked in. A clean dry pipe will give me the best chance at reaching Nirvana.
I have found that whilst I like a new pipe for each bowl, that those times I don't change pipe - the following smokes can be absolutely brilliant. In fact, more often than not, every time I have had one of those 'nirvana' smokes it was in a pipe that I had used earlier in the day. It's nearly like it got warmed up and seasoned - ready to deliver!

Status
Not open for further replies.