PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Do you smoke one pipe in an evening?
So I find myself in bars from time to time due to work/entertaining etc. If I only bring one pipe, do I risk harming the pipe by smoking several bowls throughout a long evening? Am I best served bringing two pipes? Help a reformed cigarette smoker work this out. Thanks.

Jul 15, 2011
A lot of people are going to be polarized on this one. Some people say that you need to let a pipe rest for at least 24 hours before smoking it again. I have also heard other people say that they have smoked the same pipe 2-3 or sometimes even more times in a day, letting it cool completely and cleaning it after each use. I have never attempted to smoke the same pipe more than once in about a 12 hour period, but thats just me. I dont smoke horribly often and have plenty of pipes on hand. Are you going to ruin one pipe by smoking it more than once? Probably not, but you never can tell. It would probably be safe to have two if you can manage it, but if not, exercise caution at the very least.

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
If it starts gurgling and tasting nasty, it's time to sit it down for a couple days. keep it clean, cool and dry and you shouldn't have any problems.
My uncle smoked one pipe everyday all day for years before he had to buy a new one.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
1 pipe is OK as long as you let it rest and cool down between smokes I would use a less expensive pipe just in case.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Smoke it as long as it still tastes good--I have a Dunhill that can go all day, every day; another is finicky and doesn't like more than a single bowl loaded every other blue moon. You'll never know until you test its limits, and it's unlikely that you'll really harm it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have to concur with Romeo on this one.

I have some pipes that I can smoke for days, and others that have to rest after just one bowl.

Each pipe has its own character, kind of like children.

Some whine and complain, and others are perfect angels.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I purchased a bag for 3 pipes for that exact reason. I doubt I'll destroy a pipe by lighting it up a couple of times in one night but I don't like to push it if I don't have to.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I carry two pipes with me almost at all times just so I dont have to worry about this problem, but I think you should be fine! Just let the pipe cool down between smokes!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I used to smoke one pipe constantly all day for years. It still smokes fine, and it's 30 years old! We pipe snobs forget that not long ago, people rarely had more than one or 2 pipes in their arsenal. It was all about the leaf!

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I regularly smoke a pipe multiple times a day if I'm using the same tobacco. While picking up the kids (2 schools, 2 hour wait times) I'll load up a pipe and smoke it at the boys' school, then load up again and smoke another while waiting at Chickpea's school. Sometimes I'll load it up again when I get home depending on if someone got in trouble/report cards/excessive talking. ;)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use one pipe per day,it gets at 12-15 bowls through it,and I frequently refill it HOT!! My pipe don't get much chance to cool off. Gotta remember, briar is some really tough stuff..it ain't fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.