Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Did you start smoking pipes before you stuck with it? In the late sixties in a drug store I bought a deal to packs of tobacco and a pipe packaged together.Not knowing anything at all about how to I started smoking (burned my tongue up).Four years later I told a fella in a smoke shop about that experience and that pipe smoking wasn't for me.He sold me a Savinelli and some black cavendish.That started me on this long journey that I hope is far from over

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
When I started it was to help quit cigarettes, it stayed with me because it's relaxing, and makes me a better more patient, less cynical person. Your little insights are fantastic Puffy, thanks.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I bought a cheap pipe and some tobacco in a liquor store when I was 17. I went to a movie theatre and sat in the balcony with my pipe, tobacco and a big coke. Lit up the pipe and smoked it for a while. I then took a big swig of coke. Thought my mouth was on fire! Learned that nicotine and tar on your tongue mixed with CO2 is not good. It did not slow me down however. I continued smoking a pipe through to the current day. That first pipe was in 1962. I will have 50 years smoking a pipe come next year.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
tried 3 times before it actually took once in my 20s once in my 30s and this is my second time in the past 10 years. Wish i still had my pipe from my 20s think it was a Sevilli but i ruined it smoking non tobacco out of it and forgot where i laid it down. The pipe from my 30s i stll have, it is my pete but the p-lip didnt do it for me back then. The next 2 times i used a Cob. it really wasnt till i met you fine folks and the learning the tricks of the trade that helped me make the switch from nails to lumber

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
My first attempt at pipe smoking was in the early '70's. I bought a Yellobowl and some OTC ( Borkum Riff I think), and it was not a real good experience. I picked it up again in the late '70's with a decent pipe and toby from TB, and have pretty much been smoking ever since.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I bought a couple of super cheap Dr. Grabow pipes as an undergrad, but never really took to them. In grad school, I bought a corn cob. Looking back, I believe it was a MM Country Gentleman. I also grabbed a few ounces of a vanilla aro, probably something like 1-Q, from one of the many jars they had on the counter, my brother and another friend were with me at the time and we all ended up grabbing the same pipe and same blend. We spent many nights trying to smoke them. We were only mildly successful. We had this strange notion that we were supposed to pack the bowl as tight as possible and use the poker on the Czech tool to make an air hole through the center of the tobacco to the draft hole at the bottom of the bowl. We didn't get very far with that technique. Now, 15 years later, I've come back to the pipe and have a much better understanding and appreciation of the experience.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Once I tried a pipe, it was a long and winding road from smoking coughing sticks to pipes solely. Once I started full time, I wondered what took me so long to ditch the sticks for a much more relaxing way of smoking.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I started on June 1, 1959, and haven't stopped, except for an 8 month break begun in the hospital/nursing home, and then continued for a while so that I could break the cigarette habit. I resumed smoking in March, and no longer do cigarettes, and as a bonus, I no longer inhale my pipes. So for me, it's 52 years and counting.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
i started as a way to smoke my homegrown baccy then to get me off the nails, funny thing is i tried a cigg last night and the thing felt alien, so flagg that i am thinking from now on my tobacco will be taken in either briar, clay , meer never paper.....

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Used the pipe to kick the nails.Now ,I could kick my ass for not doing it sooner.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Twice. First when I was broke in the army and couldn't afford to buy cigs. I quit as soon as I got a job after the army and could afford cigs again. I never thought about packing styles and pipes - I just had a cheap small pipe and some Borkum Riff. Tasted pretty much like crap.
Then...a couple of years ago I got the urge to try it out again. It was much better now, with all the readily available info online. I think it might stick this time.

bcer

Lurker
Jul 28, 2011
I have just started. And I am really enjoying the experience. I tried cigars a while back, but didn't like it.

So now I am looking to really enjoy my time with my pipes.

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
Congratulations!
I started a few weeks ago... :oops:
Started smoking cigars just because, and I liked them so I decided I'd like a pipe (because everyone knows pipes are cooler (and honestly being in college means not being able to afford cigars). But growing up in the information age made it easy to do some research before I bought my first pipe, so I've had a great experience so far, and I am pretty sure I'm going to end up growing old with a pipe in my mouth :D

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I started a couple o months before smokinjoe, so no shame in your game bro! :P
I'd always wanted a Meer and in the process of looking learned how cool briars could be, so I scored one off Ebay while trying to pin down a meer and gave it a whack, thinking, hell if I don't like it I'll be done with it and just go back to the occasional Romeo e Julieta or Montecristo.
Well I got my first briar, cleaned it with the help from tutorials on this site, bought a pouch of CBW and it was all over for me. Pipe smoker for life!
Now I have enough pipes to actually necessitate a pipe rack and a few favorite tabaks.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I also wanted a meer since I assumed briar pipes would taste like burning wood and tobacco juices :lol:
Now I know how wrong I was.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Probably two.
I tried when I was in my 20's but thought I looked like an idiot, and I was probably right.
Same problem in my 30's.
Now I'm old enough to look like I deserve to smoke a pipe. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.