How Many Seconds To Hold a Flame For Lighting Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Doctor's Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
For each specific case...
For lighting the first time (the first light),
for the second time (the "true light"),
and my most important question, how many seconds for cold leftover tobacco (tobacco left unsmoked)?
Thanks a lot!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Cosmic is in the ballpark. It also has to do with the blend your smoking. Flakes take somewhat longer compared to ribbon cut. Shag takes a whole lot shorter. You'll get the idea in time.

There are so many variables, the cut, the dryness, the packing, the size of the pipe, the weather, ambient humidity, the source of the flame, temperature of the flame, the force of your vacuum on the stem, pulling the heat down, your lighting technique altogether, the artwork on the tin, the color of your eyes, ambient sounds... it is impossible for anyone to answer that question. :puffy:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I typically just light the top until it's all glowing red, then tamp it down after the initial "fluff up". If it goes out, then charring light complete, I just light again until I see a nice, even glow from the tobacco and usually I'm set.
Unless it's a flake, then I pull out the blow torch, hold it there for 5 minutes, then it likely still isn't lit, prompting another 10 minute light, then I might be good to go for about 5 minutes. That is, if it's folded. Then again, I'm still working on my flake procedure. I think I'll need a new tin of ODF soon to keep working at it. When I rub it out, no issues whatsoever.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
10 seconds to char, and less than 10 to re-light if necessary. I use a wick.

Knowing when to give up on a bowl (subjective, of course) helps minimize frustration.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's not a matter of duration of time, but of what you're trying to accomplish. Keeping your BIC, Zippo, or match 1/2 to 1 inch above the rim while slowly traveling the flame over the top of the tobacco as you puff, you're done with the first light after you've singed the top layer of tobacco. Tamp that down slightly and light again in the same manner while puffing until you've lit up the tobacco. Then sip. It takes what it takes.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
How long is a piece of rope?
Flame hovering above tobacco for the minimum amount of time to light it...who cares how many seconds that is?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've never though about this......and I went still.
Too many beginners overthink smoking a pipe. I know I did!! Once I just relaxed and started smoking my pipe, it all came together. There are no shortcuts. Just keep trying. It's not a race. We all started somewhere.

columbomeme.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just echoing the above ... 'til it's lit. You move the flame around, and the match forward as it burns to keep the flame over the tobacco. Some 'baccy fires right up, other leaf requires more prolonged heat. It's on-the-job training. You won't be looking at a stopwatch, so just ad lib.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't do charring lights.
First light: About 8-10 seconds. Usually a match. See replies above for good practice.
Relights: About one second, using soft butane lighter.
HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.