How Many Pounds To Cellar To Last 10 Years?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
New Cigars
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeson

Might Stick Around
Sep 24, 2010
For those who have "done the math" on long term cellaring, how many pounds does one need to put away to last 10 years? And for those who post, how many bowls a day/week/month are you planning to smoke from the stash so that it will last the full 10 years? This forum has to be the best place in the world to find out this kind of information, so to the expierenced and/or forethoughtfull members who might take the time to answer, thanks for the help!

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
about 3 or so grams a bowl 28 grams a ounce. For the sake of easy math lets say 7 bowls a ounce at one bowl a day that would be one ounce a week and 52 ounces a year. At 16oz a pound thats a little over 3 pounds a year so I would say 30 pounds would be plenty at one bowl a day

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
tanless said: One bowl a day ?!?! Those are some very dark days indeed.
WHAT??!!! If I get one bowl a week, that's good! OK, maybe I'm exaggerating slightly, but I've never smoked a bowl a day with the odd exception of a few weekends this past summer. For those of you who smoke more than a bowl a day, my hat's off to you. I can't find the time... :cry:
-Jason

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
It's easy to find the time Jason! Just smoke where the hell ever you feel like.

People don't know how to respond to a guy with a pipe sitting in the library, puffing away, and tend to just stare before continuing with their business. And if someone bothers you, just blow some smoke at them. They're smell how nice it is and give you a compliment.
If the police come, though, this wasn't my idea.

stevewales

Lurker
Nov 24, 2010
I smoke about 4 onces a week, at current UK prices I'd be looking at around a £10,000 investment to purchase a 10yr stash. If I was still smoking the pre-made cigs the cost for 10yrs at 2pks a day would be about £33,000!!!

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Jumping Jehosaphat.....is something coming that I missed??
I wonder much tobacco can I stuff in the trunk of my dad's old '59 DeSoto before I bury it in the back yard?....enough to do me for ever? Or until,,,,you know....for when the you-know-what you-know-whats, and we all you-know.....

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I would say jship079 is pretty darn close, I would say 20-30 pound should set you up nicely!
Since the US Prohibition of Alcohol lasted 13 years, and since I know they (as a government) are much more stubborn these days... I am planing for a 30 year ban on tobacco. In that case I am hoping to have between 50-60 pounds in the cellar before the end of the year! I could quite possibly go further than that after 2011, I am thinking at least 20 pounds extra a year until they ban it! :mrgreen:

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Hell,....if they ban it I'll just smoke what I've got left and find something else to do. I ain't gonna loose any sleep over it.
Now if they ban bacon, we've got a real problem the government and I.....we gotta real big problem.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Hold on Tommy! I do love me some bacon but I'd give it up over pipe smoking any day. Hell, I thought you was one of us. Get 'em boys! :lol:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Well if its just 1Q at my current rate of consumption... 120 pounds - 1 pound a month.

Tins 2-5 open at anyone time... just guessing, 20 a year, so... 240 tins.
119 pounds and 228 tins short.... :!: 8O

I gotta get busy. :puffy:

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
50lbs is a bit outside my price range for the moment, I won't be stocking up in time to avoid the price hike ultimately, but I will be able to beat a full-on ban, if nothing else my couisin Brenda would gimme a call about it, she's a reporter and I'm sure she'd hear about a bill that went up to get rid of tobacco at least a year before it passed -- after-all she warned me before cigarettes went up, and again when this new bill was brought out like the debutant from hell.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here are the break downs that I have done to get a 10 year supply of pipe tobacco. All of these figures are based off of a 3 gram per bowl number.
1 bowl per day =

10,950 grams

10.95 kilograms

24.141 pounds
2 bowls per day =

21,900 grams

21.9 kilogram

48.281 pounds
3 bowls per day =

32,850 grams

32.85 kilograms

72.422 pounds