How Many Pipes For the Once a Week Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Johs Pipes
New Cigars
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I understand why many of you have so many pipes. If you smoke everyday and smoke multiple types of blends, you need all of them to get the most out of your tobaccos. I'm sure others of you just like collecting them even if you don't use them often. I'm imposing a smaller budget to this new hobby of mine than many of you probably have and I do think I'd rather spend the money on tobaccos than multiple pipes.
So on to my question. How many pipes would someone that smokes once a week need? I own a bunch of aromatics I obtained in a sampler deal and am planning on picking up all the Frog Mortons. I am under the impression both aromatics and latakias ghost briar pipes so I am assuming I need at least two pipes to smoke what I already own and will soon own. I haven't explored other blends much yet. Would a third pipe be all I needed to enjoy all that's out there?
Thanks!

How many pairs of shoes do you need? How many socks? How many hammers do you need? I don't see whereas someone can tell someone else how many pipes the "need." In fact, pipes don't even fit into the need category for me. I want them. I want them all.
And, what's up with just smoking once a week? Come on, are you taking this seriously? Step up your game. I don't take my pipe out of my mouth except to eat, and sometimes to sleep. Would someone brag about only having sex once a year? What's up with you? Step up your game. How the heck are you going to learn about the subtle nuances of smoking your pipe, and the differences in tobaccos at that rate? Heck, it'd take you several years to even get a pipe broke in well. You sound more like a cigar guy, ha ha.

I'm just ribbin' ya. It's ok if you only have sex once a year. More for us, ha ha!!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Getting some cobs makes sense. Based on the way you put it, 3 might work just fine for you. If your intention, as it appears, is to have the minimum number then go for 3. You can always add a 4th later on if the need arises for a VaPer. And possibly a 5th for burley. and a 6th for...There are some in your position who could just roll with 1, and rest it for a week, and ignore the ghosting.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo kat - other than maybe Lakelands, aros and Lats won't get in each other's way according to most palates. So 1 pipe, rested a week is plenty. That said, if you get to focusing on one of the Frogs, dedicating a pipe to it may enhance the flavor for you.
However, one of the factors I love about piping is that different pipes produce different taste experiences for me, especially VAs and lighter Lats. There is the effect of the chamber geometry - conical vs cylindrical and especially diameter. But it is amazing to me how identical pipes will produce noticeably different flavors with the same tobacco. I have a half dozen pairs of pipes with the same make and model, and also same time of manufacture - so presumably the briar is a similar source and age. Yet I can distinguish between the pipes from each pair.
If you are so (un)fortunate to be of the 25% of the human species that really can't discriminate much between flavors, you will be spared all this hassle. ;)
hp

les

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
+1 on getting some cobs, but if you don't care for cobs, and some don't, I'd recommend 1 briar pipe for each type (not blend) of tobacco if your concerned about ghosting.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I only smoke once or twice a week and I have twelve pipes and more tobacco jars than I might ever get through. I like having options... and the joy/voracious insanity of collecting. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you are misreading Forums members. The expansive number of pipes owned by many of us doesn't correspond to our need to have pipes for each time we smoke. Even the most ardent smokers among us might get by on 20 or 30 pipes, and most of us could get by on a dozen. A once a week smoker can easily get by on one pipe if they don't get over-sensitive about ghosting. Most of us don't consider Latakia blends as ghosting, just a few rare blends from Lakelands (English Lake Country). So I would say, if you have a few pipes -- briars, cobs, meerschaum, or whatever -- that should fill the "need." Most people seem to enjoy having two or three (or more) times what they need, FYI.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
You can use 3 or 4. NEED one. But look out! I can here with 5 and was quite happy. Now I have 35 + and more tobacco than I can possibly smoke.
This is a dangerous place!
:rofl:

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I should have asked what number is ideal to avoid ghosting. We technically don't need any pipes. But we want them. Some want many and some want less. I am someone that wants a focused collection and plan ahead rather than just picking up anything that catches my eye.
+1 on getting some cobs, but if you don't care for cobs, and some don't, I'd recommend 1 briar pipe for each type (not blend) of tobacco if your concerned about ghosting.
Thanks. This was a helpful answer. It's true I don't care for the looks of my cob much. I have one. I use it. I like what it does. I'll keep using it. But eventually if I like certain types of tobacco I try with it, I'd eventually want a pipe that appeals to me to dedicate to that said blend.
I asked this question because I wanted to get a pipe rack. I want to buy one rack and be done and not have to buy another pipe rack. It also allows me to take the time to figure out what pipes I want to add to my collection. I want to plan ahead and not make impulsive purchases. I don't want duplicates of brands and styles and I don't want to have to sell things off when I upgrade them later. I think researching the types of pipes, the companies, and the histories of them is half the fun of the hobby.
As for smoking once a week it's not a hard set rule. I might have a few bowls in a given week and I might not smoke anything in a given week. It's just an average of what I've found myself doing since buying my corn cob.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'd say one each for aromatics and latakia blends, plus one for Virginias and/or burleys. So, 3 pipes altogether.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Get one medium sized meerschaum. Can smoke it any time you want, and after wiping out the bowl, little to no ghosting. Just don't smoke it in the cold or it could crack.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't smoke all day everyday but rather a few times per week and I have 70 pipes. Many have been gifts from people and only get smoked here and there, but about 20 of those get smoked regularly. One thing about having multiple pipes if you don't care about aesthetics is different pipes feel different in the mouth and smoke different blends differently. Such as I have one pipe that I love and it smokes ribbon cuts beautifully but it does not smoke flakes well. If you don't like the way your cob looks get a meer or two, they are beautiful they color which is fun and they don't tend to ghost.

Mar 1, 2014
I generally smoke once a week, I try to do twice but it doesn't always happen.
I think there's three potential layers.
1. A week of rest is lots for a pipe, you only need one pipe.
2. I usually won't smoke Latakia in the same pipe as Aromatics, having two pipes would be nice.
3. If you want to try different shapes, materials, and sizes, it doesn't matter how much tobacco you smoke, that's not the point anymore, you'll end up with dozens of pipes.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If I only smoked one bowl a week, from a practical standpoint I wouldn't need to own more than one pipe. However if I actually applied that logic, I should only own 2 or 3, given that a few days rest is sufficient re-smoke a pipe. That I own several dozen pipes is testament to the fact I do not apply that logic...or any logic perhaps...to the number of pipes I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.