How Many Pipes Do You Own?

(152 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from pipehunter
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It has been a while I think since this topic has come up so I will go first. I currently own 37 pipes. 33 of mine are artisan made and are in my regular rotation. The other 4 do get some use here and there. At one time I did own around 75 but have weeded out all of the pipes that were not in my set of criteria for a great flake pipe. I hated looking at pipes that were just collection dust, they looked so damn lonely. Most I sold some I gave away and I am happy so far with this number.

So let's here some numbers folks, I am pretty sure Bradley is going to be up around the top of the list as he continues to buy all kinds of great pipes and his PAD knows no bounds.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am afraid to count, I have a secret book with the prices down, it's scary, told my oldest son where book is so his Momma doesn't just give them away,

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. sirbogglesworth

sirbogglesworth

Login to Send PM

My humble collection will most certainly be dwarfed by most. But I like it thus far and it will continue to grow over the years. I just received my 9th pipe this week and the 10th should be in by the end of next week. The collection by then will include 9 briars (5 artisan made) and a MM. Cheers.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

I own 71 pipes. 67 are artisan made pipes, 3 Stanwells and one Ardor

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I have no idea. I have dozens of junkers that I picked up for a buck apiece to use for restoration practice, but I don't consider those as part of the collection.

I suppose somewhere around 85 or so, maybe more...probably more. There are Barlings, Sasienis, Dunhills, Charatans, Comoys, Curtzs, Von Ercks, Ruthenbergs, Kaywoodies, Larrysons, Cannoys, Talberts, Tatums, Fillenwarths, Castellos, etc. My favorites are the Barlings, Kaywoodies, Curtz, and Von Ercks. Oh, and a Tom Spanu that is as fine a pipe as any that I own. I don't see mention of Spanu pipes in the forum, which is a shame. Excellent pipes.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. ruger414

ruger414

Login to Send PM

14 total. 10 cobs, 3 briars, and 1 meerschaum

"Never laugh at live dragons."
    -J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Saddle, I owned a beautiful straight grain Spanu years ago and it was a fine smoker. He really doesn't get talked about much. His pricing is very competitive.

Bradley, that is a good plan, I am sure your collection is worth a ton of money and seeing as your wife thinks they are all 50.00, you would take a serious hit.

jon11, who are some of your favorite artisans? I would love to hear what you buy. One day you should post a thread showing some of your pipes, we love pictures here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have about 50 I think. I need to thin the heard, but each one has its own story. I think Bradley should open his pipe room for visits and then we go by telling our wives its a pipe show/museum!

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Saddle, I owned a beautiful straight grain Spanu years ago and it was a fine smoker. He really doesn't get talked about much. His pricing is very competitive.

Hi Holly, I don't know why I haven't bought more of his pipes, because the couple that I've had have been really superlative

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

saddle, I don't think you know me well enough to be calling me Holly, that is my bedroom nickname. lol The reason I don't buy anymore is because of the acrylic stems. Check out his pricing, here is an example of a very pretty pipe for only 131. euro's.
    http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Tom-Spanu-317-i26211.html

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

100 + or - too lazy to count them.........

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hyacinth, you make a good point. Acrylic stems are not quite as comfortable as vulcanite. Excellent pipes nonetheless. If I can resist buying more damned pipes for a while (just added a beauty from J&J) I'll pick up another Spanu down the road.

BTW, do you think that Bradley has more pipes than Peck?

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Honestly I may have lots of pipes sitting around but those are estates I plan on restoring and selling the ones I kept for myself are only maybe 10-13 pipes but even those have there price really. I change my pipes regularly as of now I'm more focused on tobacco.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Saddle, I believe Bradley would win that contest. I think peck is a little over 200 and I know Bradley is over 300 probably closer to 400. He actually once did a count over a year or so ago if memory serves and he has not stopped buying.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

28 total but 12 or so that I actually smoke. The ones that don't get any attention are mainly estate pipes I bought when starting the hobby years ago. 2 Meers, 3 Cobs, 1 Clay and the rest Briar.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think about sixty including five or six cobs, and a 14" clay pipe. The rest are briar or Mountain Laurel.
    No Meerschaum, to avoid further PAD. All were bought new. I think about 15 are hand carved. Four
    or so are over 30 years old, what I call one-owner estate pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

Manduela is probably my favorite artisan, but pretty pricey. Other than that I think there are numerous talented pipe makers and it's hard to pick favorites for me. Geiger's, Rasmussen's , Rosengren, Parks, Downie, Knets, etc.....the list goes on.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Good Day All;

This is an excellent topic. Great that Petunia brought it up.

Many might think that being a dealer I would own a large collection. Currently my personal collection is a grand total of 6 pipes. 5 Castello shape 55's and 1 Stephen Downie bent apple, that was custom made for me.

The problem being a dealer is that you see so many pipes. Your opinions on shapes and brands / carvers gets put to the test each and every day. Temptation rears its ugly head with each new group that arrives. I see loads of great pipes. I see loads of pipes that IMHO should have never left the factory / work shop. What I mean by that is ... that they either exceed my expectations, or fail to meet my requirements for joining my collection. Yes I'm a very picky little sob. I smoke the pipes I own. If they do not smoke well, they go from being pipes to dust collectors and leave shortly there after.

The goal in collecting is quality, not quantity.

I have access to well over 300 pipes at this time. Each and every pipe has been cleaned and inspected. There are many that I would love to own and know they will be superb, when matched with the right owner. I see a number of nomenclatures that tend to sit and garner no interest. I look at these and wonder why.

Spanu is an excellent example. They just have not caught on. Are they well made? The majority I have seen are very well made. Interesting shapes. Engineering is quite good. Stem thickness is comfortable. Yet still on the estate market, they sit. Others that I see sit are Il Ceppo and Mastro De Paja. Some excellent pipes that can be had for very reasonable prices.

Sitting as a dealer I also have had the pleasure of selling to a number of this forums members. I can say right up front that Bradley, Peck, and Harris have chosen very well and wisely. Very rarely do they see something and rush in feet first. They see something, do their research and ask questions. OR they already know the brand / carver and see something, then pounce. I would bet that each of these men own collections with very few "dust collectors".

Learn from these guys. Buy quality, not quantity.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. grouchydog

grouchydog

Login to Send PM

Only six - one basket, a Joby, 2 Petes, an RC Sands estate and a cob.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. maxpeters

maxpeters

Login to Send PM

I own between 50 and 60 pipes. Most were bought when I first became a pipe smoker. During the first ten years I must have spent over $10,000.00 just accumulating this&that. It became ridiculous.
    I have since sold off most that I wasn't smoking, and just kept the ones that were good smokers and felt good in the hand. I also sold off most of the pipes that had acquired a collectors status and that I just felt uncomfortable smoking.
    As the years went by my pipe buying slowed down and I just enjoyed what I already had.
    I don't think I will be selling any of the ones I currently own because I don't think I would be able to replace them for anything near what I paid for them originally.
    I've only bought a couple new pipes and a couple estates in the last four years years. Not that I wouldn't love to have many pipes that I've seen online, I try to just enjoy what I have. Hell, most older smokers made due with one or two only.
    I knew a guy back in the 90's that I used to work with that always had a pipe in his mouth. One day I asked him how long he had had it. He said he got it when he went to Viet Nam. But his wife had just got him a new one for his birthday. I bet he's still smoking it.
    So I feel fortunate to have so many that I enjoy so much. I just count my blessings and ignore any PAD vibrations that I happen to feel browsing pipe sites these days.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

I have 5 but I bought those 5 in the first month and a half. So I am projected to have 21.6667 by the end of the year. That .6667 pipe will be had to smoke. Ill either have to turn it sideways or it will be real short depeding on how it is cut.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did a quick count in my head, if I'm right I currently have 27. Nothing really special in the collection Boswells, Savinelli, Peterson, Bjarne, Karl Erik, Graybow and some others brands.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This has caused me to make a head count. The current figure is 26 plus a sack of cob seconds. I have sold or traded that many or more in the last couple of years to keep the count down. Five or six of these will soon go out the door. Ideally I would have no more than a dozen but I have this weakness...

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm. Obviously I have not been keeping track very well. I was counting them up and it keeps growing. There are 10 on my desk in my home office, 14 on the side board, 36 in my work bench pipe rack, two racks of 6 each on a book shelf and about 30 that are in a basket that either smoke poorly, look poorly or are restored poorly (as in I haven't gotten around to them yet). And then there are the 5 in my briefcase. That comes up to over 100! You know if you spread them around enough, you don't have quite so many, or do you???

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At this time I own 388 pipes, with a 154 of them being my Kaywoodies. If you take out, Missouri Meerschaums, odd pipes, turkish, and India pipes I have 326 briar pipes. I have Petersons, Stanwells, Yello-Boles, Grabows, Wally Franks, Butz Choquin, WDC, Brewster, Ropp, GBD, Dunhills, James Upshalls, Comoys, Barlings, Sasieni's, Meerschaums,and lots of American, English, French , Danish and Italian estates and thirteen Artisan pipes. As everyone who knows me, knows Kaywoodies are my favorites.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

80-100 . 30 Wileys, 30 green pipes, and assorted other artisans and factory,mostly artisan. I smoke all of them except about 5 of the green ones which I need to work on for one reason or another. Mostly to open up airways.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

More than 75. Less than 100. I've never done an official count.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. mountainman

mountainman

Login to Send PM

Around 30 or so. I have pared down all the pipes that were purchased early in my pipe smoking career and had fallen out of favor. Now I have about 15 really great pipes that get primary usage. I'm constantly on the lookout for more pipes, but I am very selective at this point. I actually have about 5 Dunhills that are great and I love, but keep thinking about selling to get a couple more artisan pipes.

Josh
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did a count the other day, out of curiosity. There are 168. 11 meerschaums, 11 cobs, the rest are briars. 90 Dunhills, 14 Petersons, 13 Hilson Vintage, 8 Lasse Skovgaards, 5 Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro, and several other brands including Benni Jorgensen, Rad, Wilke, Remington, Ascorti, Radice. I share Bradley's concern that they will not be valued when I leave this body,so I have informed both my wife and my executor that they could be sold for over $25,000. On reflection, that figure is very low.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. goldsm

goldsm

Login to Send PM

So far 82 pipes and 1 pipe more on the way for 1 year and 10 months.
    Rotate,rotate,rotate.....
    I do like all my briars and smoke everyday each of them.
    Cleaning, polishing, caring... everytime I could.
    Now I am trying to concentrate on tobaccos. Happy smoking everyone.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have about 26 or so - with 22 being smoked on a regular basis (some more than others). I am happy to say that I don't have a bad smoker in the bunch.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gary, that is one big number. Your Kaywoodie collection is awesome, and I totally understand why people collect a certain brand. So far you are the top dog on this site with that number, unless Old Cajun counts his pipes to give us a true number. Bradley, don't be lazy, count those bad boys and give us number.

foggy that is also large number, damn, 90 Dunhills is a hell off a collection. If you want, you can leave your pipes to me and I will make sure I get top dollar for them when you go. Let's see 168 pipes at 10.00 a piece, 1680.00 is a good number I can give to your family. lol

You guys with 100 pipe collections, do you smoke everyone or do you have many collectibles that will not be smoked? I understand why you would not smoke many of them as the value of a new pipe or one that is barely smoked does bring many more dollars. Also do you spend time dusting those pipes that don't get smoked and do you hire someone to do it? lol

Mike, you had better put your number much higher, a guy like you should own at least 35 pipes, it is unseemly you have so few. lol It isn't like you don't have access or resources. I think you should have at least a dozen Bo Norhds buddy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I currently have 60 pipes, but 7 of those don't get smoked as they are historical or novelty pieces. The coolest thing I think, is that 33 of the 60 were gifted to me. And 18 of those were gifted to me by guys on this forum. We got some generous folks around here.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

geo3rge

Login to Send PM

Around 30 so far, including two cobs that have been recent additions. Ten of the overall total are what might be called artisan, including Askwith's, Eltang, Neerup and Northern Briars plus a single Larrysson. These, with the rest, which include Petersons, Savinelli's and Falcons plus four estate pipes that I love (GBDs, Stanwell and Peterson too) are all smoked and enjoyed in their rotation. I will probably get a handful more in the next year, but I am slowing down now and I think an upper limit is approaching rapidly. There are only so many pipes that you can comfortably accommodate, both for smoking and for storage. Some get an outing only every now and then and I have my favourites, of course. Interestingly, among those favourites is a simple estate Apple straight, quite unpretentious but, goodness, what a smoke it delivers. So, a contented man at the moment and, hopefully, the PAD will be diminishing to ease the strain on the wallet and the tobacco will become the main focus in future.
    Enjoy your pipes today, ladies and gentlemen.
    Steve

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think 45, and all but one are Petersons. The one that isn't a Peterson is my first pipe; a Dr. Grabow Riviera, which I keep in the car "for emergencies".

Of the 45, ten are Hand-Made House Pipes, and ten are B42 (Darwins). These twenty all have various finishes: rusticated, sandblast, oak, terracotta, standard, premier, supreme, silver-capped, etc. These are my regular smokers and are my favorites.

My latest purchase was an unsmoked Peterson Kapmeer billiard I got last week essentially for "free" using eBay Bucks.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I counted 33 brair and meerschaum pipes this morning, including 2 pipes I finished from pre-bored ébauchons with vulcanite stems.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

God knows. Between my office in NJ, my home in the city and the UK I couldn't put a number on how many I own. Too many thats for sure!

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. bwithers55

bwithers55

Login to Send PM

About "50." -bw

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Harris;

It will grow again. I am just getting more and more selective ( picky ) in my old age.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am right around 30 pipes.

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  41. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

12 with 2 more coming shortly. Nothing outrageously expensive. 4 brighams, 2 chacoms, 2 random estates, 2 savinellis, 1 jeantet, and 1 cob

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. topd

TopD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple hundred I guess. I'm like Bradley.... I have a program on my iPhone called "OneNote". I try to photograph each pipe and log what I paid (or close as I can remember) and what it's worth today. My oldest son knows about it but wifie stays in the dark....!

Steve 'Top' Downey
    Master Sergeant
    USMC - Retired
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Including the project pipes I currently own over 100 (in the range of 115 last I checked) but I only have 7 with me. The rest are in storage with my tobacco cellar.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

necron99

Login to Send PM

Maybe 10 really not counting pipes I don't smoke like my clay tavern pipe, and my McArthur cob, or my Baccus meer.

Come to think of it I don't much smoke out of my other meer either. Its a nice pipe and smokes pretty good. I just don't find myself reaching for it anymore. Interesting.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand
    Milton Freidman
    Posted 5 years ago #
  45. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm close to fifty but only a dozen were brand new from online pipe stores. The rest were from ebay. I did get my most expensive pipe from ebay, a Paul Perri stunner that happens to be listed right now.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 5 years ago #
  46. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess I'll wade in so long as my ID is kept a state secret and my wife will NEVER find out. K get your decoder rings out and prepare to swear the oath! LOL. Currently in rotation that I smoke on a regular basis are about 30 higher end pipes. Most Artisan pipes. I have another 15 or so that are work pipes and hunting pipes that kick around the truck, backpack ect. I have another 6 Meers that I love but don't travel with and a handful of cobs. At one point the count was up to 90 but I have learned to barter away for the ones I really want. Deal pending on two more right now.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Great topic.

I am right around 50. Counted not long ago, but acquired a few more recently. It may be a time for a thinning of the herd to be honest.

A good portion are pipes that I have carved...several from the carver that taught me, and a few from his father that taught him. Those are probably the most used and the most special to me. Second to those would be my Savs... they smoke very well and they are the right size and style.

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like fishnbanjo, I own just over 100 pipes of varying quality. Heck, Foggy has that many Dunhills!
    Ok-- here's an approximate inventory:
    3 Boswells
    8 Charatans
    7 Connoisseurs
    6 Dunhills
    10 GBDs (1960-1970)
    2 Paolo Beckers
    And the rest are a collection of Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson, Castello, Claudio Cavicchi, W. O. Larsen, and various others, some artisanal, some not. Do I smoke them all? Yes, but my rotation is uneven. Do I need that many? No-- I could have a good rotation with far fewer pipes, but the collection has been building for nearly 55 years. If I had it to do all over again, I would follow Michael's (Briar Blues) advice and have only a few top quality pipes. Back then, who knew? None of my three sons shows an interest in Pipesmoking, so I can't pass them down. And yet, I do smoke and enjoy them all.
    Oh--and I didn't mention about 15 cobs and 6 Meerschaums.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  49. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

18 Peterson
    7 S&R
    4 Luciano
    3 Jerry Crawford
    2 Ryan Alding (Lonestar)
    2 Ponomarchuk
    2 Micah Redmond
    2 Micah "Yeti" Cryder
    2 Tinsky
    2 Viprati
    2 Radice (aerobilliard and morta)
    1 Chheda
    1 Buckeye (Smokers' Haven house pipe)
    1 Chuck Sands
    1 Nording
    1 Wally Frank

So 49 pipes plus three cobs with Forever Stems and three Falcon stems in use.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

groovesmith75

Login to Send PM

About 60 at lost count at what point do you have PAD?

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have around 16 (including all commissions, estate purchases etc) but only have access to 6 of those for now as around half of them are in my US residence.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  52. pipesdownunder

pipesdownunder

Login to Send PM

I have around a dozen, and have only actually smoked about half of them. I am in a similar position of Michael.
    Being a dealer I see many beautiful examples of workmanship and get tempted every week when new deliveries arrive. I think if I wasn't a dealer I would actually have many more pipes than I currently do in my personal collection.
    I think getting them in, seeing them, photographing them, listing them and then selling and shipping them is therapeutic for me and helps me calm down from buying every great pipe I see! Some of the pipes that I have had in stock for a few months really start taunting me. You would think the longer I have them the easier it would be to get over them... quite the contrary! I feel like I owe them something. Like I haven't been able to set them up with their new family quickly enough and that I should adopt them to make them feel better about themselves.

Grant Batson got me on 1 delivery and I have a Briar Bird that I really love. Joan Cantó is going to be absolute superstar and I can't wait to fill up my personal shelves with pipes with his art.

I have recently gone on a little bit of a rampage on eBay purchasing pipes, and trading with friends via Instagram and stuff. I think of about 8 pipes I have acquired I will only keep 2 or so. The rest will eventually be listed as Estate pipes and forwarded on to someone who will appreciate and love them more than I did.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. rockytopva

rockytopva

Login to Send PM

I'm a newbie...I only have 3: MM Ozark hardwood, Mr. Brog bent pear wood, and a La Rocca Rosa calabash briar. I can get an 1 hr to 1:15 smoke out of the first two and nearly 2.5 hrs from the La Rocca. I like the simplicity of the Ozark and it's been my fishing / ride around in the Jeep pipe. The brog allows for a change of pace and the La Rocca with it's 1.5" bowl comes in handy when I want a longer smoke. I wouldn't mind adding a straight billiard but so far haven't been bitten by the PAD bug as I've been more interested in sampling numerous blends.

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

64 or 65, I haven't counted them in a while.

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

62. Soon to be 63!

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 5 years ago #
  56. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My personal collection consists of about 50 pipes give or take.

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein
    Posted 5 years ago #
  57. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm trying to wait until my birthday to buy the next one. I'm inventing distractions and making
    the rounds through my rotation discovering pipes I haven't smoked in a while.

Posted 5 years ago #
  58. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still only have 22 briars and 2 cobs. I don't even average 1 bowl per day so all of my pipes get a good 3 weeks rest between smokes. If I smoked more frequently I would need more pipes but for now I am good.

Posted 5 years ago #
  59. smokeytay33

smokeytay33

Login to Send PM

I have around 20-25, but only 10-15 are smoke-able at the moment, and only maybe 10 smoke well.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney, fellow pipe smoker
    Posted 5 years ago #
  60. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Make that 63!

Posted 5 years ago #
  61. ithelouniverse

ithelouniverse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

12! Which means my next purchase will have to be two pipes, lest there be an unlucky 13 in my collection...

At least that's what I'm telling the mrs...

Posted 5 years ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have 36 in rotation and another 24 that are about to sold off. It's nice to have my style and rotation. I had to kiss many frogs to find my prince.......but not in a creepy way.

Posted 5 years ago #
  63. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

149! I keep trying to sell them off and get down to around 20ish. But then I see some that I like. It's a vicious cycle.

John
    Posted 5 years ago #
  64. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dr. Watson;

It seems that many of us are in your boat (or Navy, depending upon the size of our respective collections)! Steve Fallon (aka Pipestud) once told me, "Unfortunately, I am a very sick man. I see tobacco and must buy it. I see a pipe and must buy it. After awhile, I decide to thin out the collection and once I get the money, I buy more pipes and tobaccos. A vicious cycle, for sure. And no cure in sight..." Amen.

Posted 5 years ago #
  65. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At one time I had 64, I sold off all but a couple high grades and took a hiatus from pipe smoking for a while. Now I'm up to 20 and each one is keeper IMO. I've been carefully picking up estates here and there as funds permit and only found a couple that just weren't doing it for me so I gave them to another member that was in need. To answer the question of how many pipes? My wife would say too many and I'd say never enough. The objective for me is not to have any pipes in my possession that I'd hesitate to smoke for any reason, it's nice to be able to just pick up whatever pipe on the rack, load and smoke knowing it's going to deliver.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 5 years ago #
  66. stosho

stosho

Login to Send PM

I'm at about 35 in a pretty short time. Most are standard everyday pipes which I generally like. I am planning to try and sell of a good chunk of these and a Koolsmoke set I have so I can consider purchasing a couple pipes that are a bit more upscale.

Posted 5 years ago #
  67. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you have five or ten pipes, don't be apologetic. It's a good place to be. I remember when I had about that
    many. What an interesting time was ahead.

Posted 4 years ago #
  68. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have north of 150 (which shocked me as I was adding them up in my head just now) but would like to get down to 75.

I would like to get some pipes on here and/or ebay soon.

Posted 4 years ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hundreds, according to my 'puter. Never seen any reason to get rid of any, since I love them all and each one has a story. I do puff them all, except for the several dozen yet to be broken in. And most of those I've gotten in the last year or so.

Presently preoccupied getting a few more fly rods, since I've decided hundreds of those aren't enough.

hp
    les

Posted 4 years ago #
  70. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I currently have 22: four cobs, and the rest are briars.

RLTW!
    Posted 4 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craiginthecorn, the85boro, smittyd, mso489, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456