How Many Pipes Do You "Need" in Your Rotation?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Hello pipers,
I see a lot of chatter on the forum regarding pipe collections, and their size. I often see pipe collections that start in the teens/20s and upwards of 50+. As a new pipe smoker it's a bit overwhelming to think that I need to buy 20 pipes or more, just to have a "good" rotation.
Not because I don't see 20 pipes that I would like to have (I am actually rather surprised at how quickly my "pipe lust" has began), but more for the fact that it can be cost prohibitive to try to buy several pipes in the beginning, while also attempting to try different blends of tobacco, to see where your tastes lie.
Anyway, I have been smoking for about 2 weeks now, and have now purchased 3 pipes. My first was a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke. It is an "ok" pipe, but I feel there is probably something better (for me) in a briar pipe. My second pipe was a Missouri Meerschaum cob, and I actually like it quite a bit. In fact, it has become my daily workhorse, as I have been putting at least a bowl (usually two or three+) a day through it and it seems to be holding up well for a pipe that cost me $3.99. :)
My latest pipe was actually just another MM cob, but it is a very small pipe that I found to be more of a "curiosity" than anything. It was also very low cost at a mere $2.19. LOL! I just picked it up earlier today and have not yet smoked through it, but plan on doing so tomorrow some time. I usually do not take any pipes or tobacco with me throughout the day, but I do often wish I could be puffing, so I am thinking that this "mini" MM cob, just may be a perfect little cheapie to toss in my pocket with a loaded bowl and run off for the day. My only concern is the tobacco falling out of the pipe, and not having a tamper/tool with me. Perhaps a travel kit of some sort is in my future.
Anyway, this is getting to be a rather long winded post, so I will pose my actual question. With the drying times for briar pipes being what they are, how many pipes would you recommend to have in a regular rotation for a guy that likes to smoke 3-4 bowls a day?
Is it safe to smoke all 4 bowls from the same briar (in the same day), and then rest it for a day per bowl smoked? Will more than a bowl or two a day hurt/crack a pipe?
Sorry for the silly questions, and perhaps I will just continue to abuse my trusty MM cob until it gives out while I build up my pipe collection to where it "needs" to be.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
What I have seen as common is that the amount of bowls you smoke in one day is the minimum number of days that pipe should rest. Some people like to have a certain number to account for pipes that get assigned one kind of tobacco. I would think you should be fine with 7-12 briar pipes, but you definitely can get away with less using some MM for filler. Just keep in mind everyone's experience is different, you may feel you need more or less, and my experience has been that your pipe collection might grow faster than you expected/wanted. Good luck on your search.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
While there are some old school guys who smoked the same pipe day in and day out for decades, i think the current rest theory is best: one day for each bowl smoked. So, bare minimum of five based on your 4ish bowls a day. More would help.
That being said, you don't HAVE to break the bank on briar to start off with. You have already found cobs being friendly to your style, buy a bag! The Grabows will actually treat you decent to start off, and help teach you good habits. Smokingpipes.com has some amazing Tsuge briars for about $65 (not cheap in general, but super cheap for briar). And the Mr. Brog pipes are great for beginners: I have a pear wood for $25 shipped that has smoked to ash without relights from smoke one. lso, estate pipes are your friends! Any one of these would help round out your rotation while buying you time to upgrade your stash.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I wouldn't get too discouraged on how many pipes you need, technically 1 is all you *need*. Ideally you should have several, but the exact number depends on the individuals themselves. Right now I have about 16 pipes in my regular rotation and it's just enough for me, wouldn't mind having more. That said, there are plenty of smokers who get by with much less.
Also, I go a little further than the 1 bowl / 1 day rest. I will try to go 3 days after one bowl to fully dry it out. However - it's possible to smoke a single pipe a few times a day. But if so, I give it 5-7 days of rest.
But everyone is different - you may never feel the need for more than several. I would say to shoot for 4 briars. Then fill the gaps with some cobs and you should be set for a while.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
No need to over-think these things. Keep the pipes clean, and let them -- and your desires -- dictate the "need".

In my experience, your pocketbook will be the determining factor in the long run. :lol:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
paintedklown:
For your 3-4 bowls a day (assuming 7 days a week), I'd say you need a minimum of 7 pipes. I frequently smoke 3-4 bowls a day, and all in the same pipe without any ill effects whatsoever.
I think collections really start to bloom when/if you dedicate specific pipes to either specific blends or specific types of blends. I believe that dedicating pipes to specific types of blends (Virginias, VaPers, VA/burley flakes, English, Balkan, aromatics, what have you) is the best way to really get the most from each of those different styles; I think you end up "seasoning" a pipe with a certain kind of blend, making it more amenable to that kind of blend in the future. Of course, not everyone does this. And I went for years without doing it -- and thoroughly enjoying my tobaccos. But if you're switching up types of blends in the same pipe, just be aware that it will take at least 2-3 bowls of a new blend before you smoke away the remnants of the previous blend. (And a few blends are known for leaving their flavor behind forever.)
Bob

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd have to second about four briars and some cobs for filler.
A good way to build a nice rotation quickly on a budget is definitely through estates. Some sponsor sites have estate sections on them and there's always briarbid.com or ebay.
Typically I only have one bowl a day in a pipe but, on the rare occasion I have more than one I let it sit for at least the same number of days as bowls smoked in it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Since I work offshore, I have a limited number of things I can bring back and forth due to weight limits and so on. I bring 5 to 7 pipes out with me for 3 weeks. I might smoke a pipe once or twice in a row, then move to the next one. This works out to smoking each pipe about 4 or 5 times a hitch, and by the end of that period I take 'em home and clean them. I have not had any pipes go sour on me with this rotation.

I own 76 pipes, and tend to rotate 7 different ones when I am home, probably swapping them out more often because I can. Of course, back in the old days (1970's) I only had cheap pipes, but I had 4 or 5 laying around even then. Brylon can take a lot of abuse, lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you can get by with five to seven pipes, including cobs, if you are smoking conservatively (a bowl or two a day,

or less). You might want to consider saving up for an "upper level pipe," which people would variously price starting

at $150 to $300 or more. The only advantage to this is, pipes tend to last a lifetime, and they tend to accumulate, so

you might consider "collecting" fewer but fancier. I max out at mid-level pipes, but have many low level, and they do

heap up, fill the racks and more. I have three dozen, and smoke them all, including cobs, but over time. A fine artisan

pipe would be a proud possession even if you take a break or even quit smoking, or smoke only for special occasions.

Just a thought. My collection includes pipes over 30 years old, a number of gift pipes, pipes from all the best pipe

making nations, many shapes, and most bowl sizes, bent and straight, so my stable has some real virtues too.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
A lot of good advice here guys. I really appreciate it. The logic behind it all makes sense as well.
7 pipes for 7 days sound reasonable IMO. One for each day of the week, then it will be rested for six days before smoking from it again.
If there are no ill effects from smoking several bowls from any given pipe per day, then that sounds like it should suffice. I suppose if I ever worry that my smoking habits may cause some damage, I can just continue to smoke a cob while the briars rest. My biggest worry is cracking a bowl. I have a tendency to take big puffs and smoke quickly, causing the bowl to become VERY hot. A habit I need to break...
Tomorrow is my pay day, and I am HOPING that I will have enough in my budget to "go all out" and buy another pipe. It will be my first "nice" pipe and I REALLY like the looks of it, so I am excited to add it to my "stable". In fact (to be quite honest), I find myself drawn to the look of several pipes from the manufacturer. I do not want to reveal the pipe I plan to purchase, as if I am unable to make it happen, I don't want to embarrass myself. If, however, I am am able to get it, then I will make a thread excitedly proclaiming what it is. It's not a very expensive pipe, in terms of pipe prices, but for a "noob" it "feels" like a lot to spend on a pipe. LOL!
Thanks again for your thoughts and insights everyone. For a new guy, it's very helpful to receive knowledgeable information from the pros. :)

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
The amount of “rest” a pipe needs is a function of several things, mainly:

-pipe quality – good quality pipe smokes dry and therefore stays dry, hence little drying time is needed, and

-burning property of the tobacco of choice – natural tobaccos with little or no additives will smoke completely, down to nothing but ash. If every bowl is finished down to nothing but ash, there is very little moisture left in the pipe to dry, and

-smoking habits of the user – some people smoke “wet” because of how fast they draw, or how much saliva they produce/introduce to the stem during smoking, and

-pipe “hygiene” – cleaning the pipe properly after each smoke will keep it “healthy and happy” for a long time.

If one considers those 4 factors and makes selections aimed at completing each bowl of tobacco and follows that with basic cleaning, the number of pipes in the rotation can be reduced to a minimum. It is like in the principle of manufacturing: control the quality of the ingredients and processes and you will end up with a quality result.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My biggest worry is cracking a bowl. I have a tendency to take big puffs and smoke quickly, causing the bowl to become VERY hot. A habit I need to break.
Unless you're smoking like a maniac -- which may be the case :) -- I've never heard of a bowl cracking in this manner. (I would actually be more concerned with burn-outs; if you're truly creating a bowl that's far too hot to hold, then any deficiencies or weaknesses in the briar are likely to show themselves and you may be left with a pipe that has completely burned through the bowl.)
But you're right: Overpuffing to the extent you describe really is something you need to break yourself of. Even though a lot of folks here say that "however you like to smoke a pipe is the right way to smoke a pipe," I believe there really are some Dos and Dont's. And that would be a Don't. You aren't doing the pipe any favors. . . and I also think you're robbing yourself of the flavors that can only happen when blends are smoked slowly. Nobody makes a blend that's better when it's burning hot; many blends, however, have nuances and flavors that can only be experienced when smoked slowly.
I'm wondering if maybe you'd be better served by blends higher in nicotine; if you're smoking something stronger, chances are you'll slow down. (Unless you have a high tolerance for nicotine.) And if you're puffing fast to try to get more flavor, I think you might be surprised to find out how much more flavor you'll experience if you slow down.
But, honestly, sometimes I'm enjoying a blend so much, I just naturally speed up because I'm sort of ravenous for it. I want to bask in the flavor and the great clouds of aroma. If that's the case, maybe you should try something you don't like very much! :)
Bob

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
+1 one more

I like a minimum of 7, one for each day of the week, I smoke between 3-5 bowls in a day and then let them sit for the rest of the week.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
How many pipes you need is entirely dependent on how many bowls you smoke a day, and whether you want to dedicate particular pipes to particular blends, or blend types (e.g., Aros, Lat blends and VAs). I usually will smoke 2 to 4 bowls in a given pipe per day, cleaning between each smoke. The pipe then gets racked for a minimum of four or five days before it sees action again. Sometimes this is much much longer depending on the pipe. I smoke quite a bit of pipe and after many years have settled on 65. Why this number? Because that's the number of slots in my four wall racks. Nothing controls the PAD urge more effectively that a set of full racks. To get another pipe means I have to sell one or buy another rack. Buying another rack is a major decision, since it wakens the PAD monster, which I'd much rather let alone. And selling a pipe would be akin to given up one of my kids for adoption. So here I am stuck with full racks and no PAD. TAD is another matter entirely, and, with pending price increases, acquiring tobacco is really the only sensible game in town for the foreseeable future.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Some good answers here guys. Thanks for the input. Right now, my personal pipe purchases are limited by my lack of expendable income. LOL! Honestly, that is part of the reason I posed the question to begin with. I was thinking that perhaps I needed 15-20 pipes in my collection to have a decent rotation.
However, I think I will be fine with simply adding a new pipe as I can comfortably afford to do it, and continuing to abuse my trusty MM cob as I save for my next pipe purchase. Earlier today, I "splurged" a bit, simply out of lust, and ordered a Peterson Dracula. I am super excited about that purchase, and am quietly perusing the usual online pipe vendors, as I save up for my next purchase. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.