PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

obidonkenobi

Lurker
Apr 7, 2017
I have two pipes, but have only been smoking one. I see guys on YouTube who have several, and a few others who have fairly large collections of pipes. I understand some guys collect pipes because they just appreciate their design, style, finish, history, etc. - they're collectibles. But how many pipes do you need? Seven, so you have a fresh pipe every day? Two, with one pipe dedicated to aeros and the other to non-aeros?
What say you? Curious minds want to know... ;-)

Dec 28, 2015
I have seen this question asked several times in the past. Two of my favorite previous answers are "All of them!" and "You don't NEED any pipes". But honestly the answer depends on your smoking habits. For instance you have two legitimate answers in your post. I think the answer will reveal itself to you. Unless you are trying to come up with a number from the forum to justify to your wife that you need to buy more pipes. In that case start out with the one per day theory. And then you can add that you need one for each blend type that you may smoke per day. Then you can use math to justify almost any number.

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
I've been told to let them air out for a day between smoking. I've interpreted that to mean smoke one day, skip one day. So I need at least two for however many times I smoke in a day.
The fact that I now have 12 pipes has nothing to do with that process. It's more related to the reason I have 7 ukuleles.
I was most pleased when I got my third pipe. I had heard people talking about smoking their pipes in "rotation" but until I got a third pipe, I was stuck with more of an "alternation"...

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Welcome. If I smoked the same pipe several times in a day I would probably rest it more than a day. I've heard a day per bowl though that seems like it could get excessive if you smoke it a lot. I probably never smoke more than 2 in a day, and not every day. 7 is probably good if you're an every day smoker. I would dedicate one if you like aros in the mix.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I need perhaps six or seven, smoking 4-6 bowls a day. (I smoke them dry so there's no need for drying time). I have over 60. Does that help??

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
N plus 1 where n equals number of pipes you own. They need to thoroughly dry out different sizes different tobaccos different weight different balance some can be used on Lunt others in your lounger. More pipes more fun beensmoking 63 years have 120 Shel

The magic number in my newbie opinion - A pipe should not be smoked more than once a week - so - No of pipes = No of bowls per day x 7
However you can build up to that - For example I smoke an avg of 5 bowls a day and I have 10 pipes, so each pipe gets about 2 day of rest between smokes. I will build up to the magic number of 35 for me over two-three years.
Some I smoke more than others complicates things a bit!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sometimes you want a briar, sometimes a meer. Then there are the times a disposable is called for, fishing, a bit of logging, driving the tractor, etc all of which mean a MM for me.
You've asked a question requiring a subjective answer so: A sufficient number to insure your personal tastes and desires are met. Not counting MMs I usually have two dozen or so to insure I get the experience I want at the time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For my use, 30-35 is more than adequate. So, I can't explain why I have the number that I do, 85 or so. I smoke 7-8 bowls per week, and typically use a core 30-35 pipes. I guess the rest, I just collect....

Status
Not open for further replies.