Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

How Many Open Tins??

(43 posts)
  1. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

Just curious...

How many kinds of tobacco do you have open?

Personally I'm a little OCD about it. I have a pipe labelled for each day of the week (although this keeps changing as I acquire more pipes and my moods change with the seasons) and I've labelled specific tobaccos for each day of the week. I have a couple extra for specific moments such as travel, or with my big Gourd Calabash, and I havent quite found my favorite 7 magical tobaccos yet (though this also changes with season)...

so all in all... I have 10 tobacco types open that I rotate.

Anyone else as flighty as me? Am I good to go, or am I nuts!

How many do you have open and why?

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I never have more than 3 tins open at one time.

I've found that it's usually best to smoke an open tin in about a month or so.

Right now I have two open tins. I also have a few "open" (not currently aging) bulk jars with blends currently in my rotation, as well as a tub each of Carter Hall and Walnut that I'm smoking out of which I decided to keep in the tubs with a HumiCare pillow in each tub; it's working well so far (I can always jar them instead whenever I want to).

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

I found that out too. I had opened some tins and after about 2 months they dried out and just seemed to become all bite and no flavor.

I keep all my tobacco in sealed mason jars which are obsessively labelled by printing scans of the tobacco label and fixing them to the jar.

It keeps the moisture level.

How is the walnut? I havent tried that flavor.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually have 5-6 tins open at a time, which are what I'm currently smoking, spread across the main categories I smoke. So, I keep an English, a Balkan, a straight Viginia, a VA/burley flake, an aromatic, and Penzance open at all times.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

How is the walnut? I havent tried that flavor.

It was recommended by a fellow member here (nsfisher). The thread was about Carter Hall and he mentioned he blends CH 50/50 with Walnut and loves it.

I'm very familiar with CH (a burley with virginia blend) and have smoked many pounds of it over the years, but have gotten away from it some time ago. I figured the Walnut would be a light English.

The Walnut is indeed a very light English but unique (for an OTC anyway) and is decent quality. I very much enjoy the two together, mixing the CH & Walnut (called "Wal-Hall") 50/50.

Look, 50/50 blend won't set the world on fire, but it's consistent, burns well, is quite inexpensive and tastes good. YMMV.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's see... I have about 5-6 open tins now, the rest are jarred up.

It's hard not to pop open all the tins I have since they are all blends I have never tried! If I notice a tin getting dry, or after more than a few weeks of not touching, I will jar it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use small 2-4 oz mason jars to store my tobacco in, because of this I never have open tins, tins are either cellared or tossed into a mason jar. I go back and forth between blends so fast depending on my mood...sometimes 3 or four different blends in a day. I estimate probably 15-16 jars on the smoking table at any time. Of course I also buy a lot of bulk blends so a jar may go unopened for weeks at a time or may get hit up 5 times in a day.

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

I go back and forth between blends so fast depending on my mood...sometimes 3 or four different blends in a day.

I'm with you on that! glad to know there are others!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I'm in the minority in that I have probably a dozen or so tins open right now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

I say I have about 10 open, but if you include the ones I've jarred away until they come back into season for my taste, and the ones I'm constantly sampling, I probably have at least 16...

It seems the quest for that perfect rotation of tobaccos may be as elusive as the perfect sound for electric guitar... just an endless ever changing quest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

Eleven open tins at present. It's been more, seldom less. Whatever doesn't get finished within a month or so goes into a glass jar, with a label detailing the what is it and the when was it. I have two dozen of such jars on the shelf with the five volume set of Rashi. Where I also keep most of the Sam Gawith tobaccos I bought in 2007.

Usually one or two flakes, two or three English blends, and a few odd fish.

At present I'm smoking Dunhill 956, Rattrays Accountant's Mixture, Greg Pease Navigator, Wessex Red Virginia Flake, and seven Cornell & Diehl products: Old College, Yale Mixture, Red Odessa, Old Hollywood, Haunted Bookshop, Manhattan Afternoon, and Plantation Evening.

Plus one of my own concoctions, which is a mild-medium Balkan.

-----ATBOTH
    Boring wafflegab about tobacco.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

That's a nice selection!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. englishdave

englishdave

Login to Send PM

Five open tins at the moment. Four of those were placed into 4 oz air-tight glass jars with hand written labels. The other tin was opened a couple of days ago, since it's more than a year old and I wanted to see how it was doing. I have two other tins I want to open. I guess I'll have to buy more jars...

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

Lets see, right now I have open Blackhouse,Magnum Opus,PS Proper English,Balkan Supreme,Lux Navy flake, and Larrys Blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep my 15 open tins in a big plastic container, like one you would put flour in, with a distilled water dampened paper towel. Works well so far. I can't help myself as when I get a new one in I just have to try it. I like lots of variety to suit my mood.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My open tins consist of, in no particular order:

McClelland's Holiday Spirit 2011, Beacon Extra, St James Woods, and Bayou Slice; Mac Baren's Golden Extra, London Burley, and Vanilla Cream flake; GL Pease's Barbary Coast, Cairo, Fillmore, and Haddo's Delight; OTCs Carter Hall, Walnut, and Sugar Barrel; Hal o' the Wynd; Escudo; Orlik Golden Sliced; H&H Angler's Dream, Freight Train, and Anniversary Kake; C&D Blockade Runner; and Savinelli Cavendish. And mason jars (non-aging) of Mountain Mall Mix, Stanwell Melange, and 1Q.

Would be tough for me to only have a handful of open tins at a time. So much interesting tobacco, so little time!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

So much interesting tobacco, so little time!

so true!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

Wow! By coincidence, I just started a very similar thread.Sorry, I should have looked more carefully.
    Anyway, I have 6 tins (actually 5 and one pouch) open: RY, NC, EMP, Peterson Special Edition, Connoisseur Turkish Black and Amphora Red.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. lyle

lyle

Login to Send PM

I've found keeping opened tins inside resealable containers keeps them smokeable for a very long time, so at various times I have had huge numbers of them opened up. That said, I tend to keep 5-6 open at a time, just because I like to focus and really get to know a blend before moving on to something else. I keep at least one favorite opened at any given time, so that I have something familiar to smoke as I work my way through a "challenging" new blend.

I say "challenging", but he truth is that there is only one blend in the last seven years that I actively disliked and didn't look forward smoking again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with lyle re being surprised how long the vast majority of my blends keep their 'freshness'. I'm sensitive to the changing tastes of each blend as it airs out after opening the tin. The only blend (out of maybe 700-800 that I have available) that deteriorated (I think) is some old Petersen & Sorenson Tradition, but I need to open up another tin sometime to check against the residue that I have from the first tin.

I don't go through a lot of tobacco since I average only 3 bowls daily, and usually small ones at that. But I rarely puff the same stuff twice in the same day, since I use a light, medium then heavy routine - and since a repetition would confound my simplistic Excel semi-database. Much of my puffing is geared towards qualifying candidates for cellaring, so within each genre, I will try out the new stuff vs. known controls that already reside in the cellar. Even in the course of several weeks, I won't repeat a specific blend very much at all.

Rehydration can substantially restore the stuff that I have opened from several years ago, which is a good thang.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a tin of McC. Bombay Extra from 1992. I was pretty stoked when I got it but found since that lat doesn't age like virginias. So I opened it and it was drier than a popcorn fart. I rehydrated with distilled water and after a couple of days I tried some. Not too good. What a disapointment. I thought it might be ok with the aged virginias in it but it just wasn't there. Oh well live and learn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right now i have Erinmore Flake, Escudo, Dunhill EMP, Peterson's Sunset Breeze, WO Larsen Old Fashioned, and CBR

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nightcap, erinmore flake, FVF, SL, 1931 flake, and the always present big jar of 1Q

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too many. I've got 17 jars and 10 open tins in my rotation. And plenty more blends that I can't wait to crack into. Gonna concentrate on knocking it down to a dozen before I crack open a new one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 11, I have the little 2-3oz snap top jars I keep them in. 7 I hit regular, and probaly 3 different in a day depending on what my mood is and what I'm doing. The rest is all jared up and stored. Most times I'll be in a VA mood and goto the BBF and FVF, and work up into the spice with AK, LR,or VS...Then it can go to nightcap whatever lols. Then somedays it's FMOT, 1Q, Dansk black... One of the things I love about pipe smoking. I like to try different stuff, I found the wall on latkia to be Larry's blend, going to dump it or try to blend it with something like CH or something.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. Off the top of my head I would say 15 or 16, although I move open tins to jars. I never have much less than that.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

it seems like it comes down to a balancing act of routine, variety by mood, and actual storage and maintenance of the tobacco.

I have as a regular rotation:

CAO Eileen's dream
    Sutliff Molto Dolce
    McClelland Holiday Spirit 2012
    Stokkebye 4th Gen 1897
    Brigadier Black Alamo
    Mac Baren Vanilla Cream
    Erinmore Flake
    Peterson University Flake

stored away until my mood brings them back as far as I remember I have:

Newminster Creamy Peaches
    MacBaren Honey and Chocolate
    McClelland Old Church

currently sampling and testing:
    Sutliff - about 6 or 7 tins: barbados plantation, st george, metropolitan, charlemaine, and a few others.
    Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold
    Peterson Hyde Park
    Presbyterian

and a few others which I cant remember at this time...

too many.... but thats the fun in it all!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. swhipple

swhipple

Login to Send PM

I guess I need to get some jars since I have about a dozen open tins plus about 6 Ziploc bags with B&M blends. My problem is I smoke 1 maybe 2 pipes a day but I buy tobacco like I smoke 12 pipes a day. I've noticed some of the open tins getting too dry so I'll have to try the rehydrating methods I've seen on here and then putting some of it up in jars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BTW, when I mentioned my own "open tins," I didn't mean that literally: I don't keep my open tobacco in its original tin. Whenever I open a tin, it goes into an airtight jar for current consumption. Everything else remains cellared in its original tin. And I typically smoke the equivalent of a tin a week, but that's usually spread across my 5-6 open blends at any one time.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It seems the quest for that perfect rotation of tobaccos may be as elusive as the perfect sound for electric guitar... just an endless ever changing quest.

Exactly.

I have 10 tins open. I mainly smoke only flakes and they dry slower so I keep the opened tin with its lid on in a zip lock freezer bag. This slows the drying enough that the month or two it takes me to finish the tobacco it stays just about right. Really with this method it takes three to four weeks before I even notice the flakes begining to dry at all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I currently have 20 blends that are part of my regular smoking rotation. I love variety and have always kept a large number open. 16 are tins and 4 are bulks. I keep my open tins in tupperware like plastic containers that are air tight and keep my tins fresh for a couple of months.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Not too good. What a disappointment. I thought it might be ok with the aged virginias in it but it just wasn't there. Oh well live and learn.

Mustang, if you didn't throw that McC Bombay Extra away, you might consider tossing in a rounded tablespoon of blending latakia in it (besides on line vendors, decent tobacconists usually sell it) and try it again. The blend's Perique and Turkish both have mellowed a bit but both should easily hang around well enough flavor-wise and the virginias, of course, will have improved considerably.

If you try this, let us know how it came out

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. englishdave

englishdave

Login to Send PM

My rotation looks like this:

GLP Odyssey, GLP Union Square, McC Frog Morton, GLP Sextant, GLP Blackpoint.

Waiting in the wings are GLP Maltese Falcon, and C&D Da Vinci. Of course, there's more on the way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris don't you find that the tin will impart some of its flavor, with oxygen present there's a chemical reaction occurring, even though small, it is happening. Moisture, oxygen and tin is oxidizing at a slow rate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dragon, I have never noticed anything like that. The tobacco never physically touches the tin, they are all wrapped in the paper that comes with the tin. I will go through 16 tins in like 75 days so I am sure nothing is taking place in that short of time. Interesting theory though, might be a great question for the ask GL Pease section of the forum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ya, anything noticeable in that regard would take a lot longer to develop. I may dy some, but tobacco is fine in an covered opened tin for a few months; added to that, Harris has a secondary, controlled environment as he puts those open tins in Tupperware containers -- thus the the opened tin's "normal" drying time is increased a bit.

There are some areas with extreme conditions, such as in the Sahara Desert (one extreme) pipe tobacco would dry very soon after opening the tin, or the jungles of Vietnam (the other extreme), where the tobacco would literally feel soaked in no time, with mold would growing over the tobacco as you watch.

There are some areas for added concerns in the US (like Olympia, WA, and Houston, TX, for example, where ambient RH is higher), but for most of us, nothing to worry about.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. terry

terry

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man, I think I have about 4 tins...6 pouches open.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I currently have 19 tins open and stored in my humidor. They seem to be keeping well as I notice no change in moisture level or flavor in the older tins. I am in the experimental stage and having a good time. When I get things sorted out I plan on shortening my rotation. In the meantime I need to smoke fast (not tongue-bite fast)!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a side note triggered by one of the posts above, I have never liked keeping tobacco in zip-loc bags. I've always felt they imparted a weird flavor and aroma to the tobacco. Though I am perfectly willing to accept that it's in my head. Thoughts on this?

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

I have never liked keeping tobacco in zip-loc bags. I've always felt they imparted a weird flavor and aroma to the tobacco. Though I am perfectly willing to accept that it's in my head.

I'd have to agree, although I could also say it might just be in my head as well... I am not the guy you ask if a food smells spoiled or not, because as soon as I get that thought my brain will always doubt on the safer side. I had some decent smelling tobacco in a ziplock which was inside a plastic mason jar, and now it seems to smell weird....

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't laugh but at last count I had 40 open tins that I've jarred up. What can I say, I like variety. Lots of overlap, many are good but not worth buying again. I'm hoping to get it down to about a dozen at some point.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have about ten tins open at the moment, but I want to cut this down. I am also beging to find blends I like and I don't need to try as many as I have on the past.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

I love this! None of us do things the same way! Each one is unique in some way.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mrgunnar177, hittelusedpipes, masspiper, darwin, petes03, sdcowboy, ocpsdan, mephistopheles, curl, jetcap77, warren, jiminks, drrock