Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

How Many of You Lucky Dogs Get to Smoke Inside?

(104 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by puffthemagicpiper
  • Latest reply from luigi
  1. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find the out-of-doors and a pipe are a match made in heaven. That said, on a windy day I'll take an indoor smoke with glee! My current living arrangements (alone) permit, however, when the family joins me it will come to an abrupt end.

Dot
    Posted 6 months ago #
  2. jmsmitty6

jmsmitty6

Login to Send PM

If smoking in my car with the sunroof slightly open counts as indoors, than I am indeed a lucky dog

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop smoking my pipe
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. duffer

duffer

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my home office. Air purifier, exhaust fan, weatherstripping around the door and a towel at the base. No worries from the wife.

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. bosmer

bosmer

Login to Send PM

As a new years resolution, I have decided to put my TAD and PAD on hold so that I can save up enough money to buy another house, one that I can smoke inside. I should probably have enough money by the end of the year.

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a large man cave type basement with a couch, recliner, TV, gun room, workshop and an office that I smoke in.
    It also has a very large cabinet and shelves where all of my pipes and tobacco's are kept.
    She has control over the rest of the house, but it's understood that this is my area and she respects that.

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 6 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I am happily single and of course smoking inside is one of the perks.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My cat was wheezing and I smoked outdoors for 6 months. Then I came back in but smoked in the bathroom with the door closed for a year, whereupon it felt like time to quit, which Idid, having lung and respiratory symptoms. My point is that secondhand smoke hurt my health.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My point is that secondhand smoke hurt my health.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall you mentioning that you had been a cigarette smoker. I don't know how heavily or for how long, but if it was extensive enough, you may not have developed the respiratory issues otherwise.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 6 months ago #
  9. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not married yet, but my house my rules. I can smoke wherever I want. GF and I dont live together, shes in the US and I am in India. She knows I smoke and she doesnt mind me smoking anywhere at her house or mine.

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  10. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good point. I smoked cigarets off and on for 40 years, and that may have weakened me. But I last smoked a cigarette 09/13 and quit the pipe 04/18. But I think the point remains that lungs complain about smoke, but perhaps not symptomatically. I never considered the second hand smoke when I smoked in the bathroom.. Had it not been for that I think I could have gotten another two or three years or more of smoking. I think pipe and cigar smokers overlook the small amount of smoke taken into the lungs with every smoke. Over time it can cause problems, and I'm sure it did so to me. It's seems too small to be problematic except when you smoke pipes 2 or 3 Xs daily.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. cajomu

cajomu

Login to Send PM

I stopped smoking indoors when my first child was born nearly forty years ago. Now, I prefer smoking outside. Among other things, I don't like the smell of stale tobacco. I usually wear a smoking jacket when I smoke because I don't want my clothes to smell. When I smoke in my garage, I open the door afterwards to air it out.

When I did smoke inside, I remember that the walls, furniture, etc., in my house were always being covered in an unpleasant, oily film. I wouldn't want to go back to having to deal with that again.

I often wonder if people who do smoke in their house realize how bad it smells to non-smokers. There are number of a reasons why our society turned against smoking, and one of them is that most smokers often disrespected non-smokers' right to live smoke free. Unfortunately, some still do.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

I'm single, but in a small condo, part of big old seaside house that was turned into 6 units.

I'm not sure if the condo rules prohibit smoking or not, but my neighbors are all pretty easy-going. I smell that my upstairs neighbor occasionally smokes, and it ain't tobacco--so I don't feel too guilty about smoking inside once in a while during the winter months. I do try to limit it to aromatics though, just to be neighborly.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm widowed,so...

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 months ago #
  14. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

I feel you Jud, I am too!

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. them4chef

them4chef

Login to Send PM

I have the luxury of smoking my pipes indoors in the "panzer haus" my 400sqf studio where I do all my reloading, scale model building and all things pipes related. Keeps the mess out of the house and my wife happy though she doesn't mind when I light up in the house once in a while.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeffya2

Login to Send PM

Only Virginias inside

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did for years. Finally had to quit. My wife did not like it. She moved out and visits occasionally.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the living room, camo recliner, two flatscreens, very nice....

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I smoke in front of my computer. It adds to the distraction and enjoyment.

My apartment is small so my mother complains about the smell (mostly about the most "raw" aromatics or the non-aromatics, but since I smoke inside my bedroom I'm already doing my best to avoid issues with other living beings (mother and pets)...

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I prefer to smoke outside, but it's cold right now so I smoke in my Jeep. I'm hoping to get a room in my house dialed in to smoke in one day, but my kids are still in the house, so I don't do it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

newdave61

Login to Send PM

The spousal unit encourages me to smoke indoors, says she likes the smell. I'm a little reluctant to do it because of the lingering odor, second-hand smoke concerns, leaving smoke residue, etc.. No kids to worry about, just the dog.

I will occasionally succumb to temptation and smoke next to the fireplace, hoping most of the room smoke goes up the flue. So far the only downside is dirty looks from the pooch.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have zero desire to smoke indoors.
    Even if I didn't have kids, I still wouldn't want to stink up everything. If the weather isn't conducive I am fine with waiting.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm the only kid in the house.

An extra bedroom serves as a study/playroom; this may be the only place where I smoke indoors anymore. I mostly take it outside.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish.

-26F here right now. High tomorrow -13F. Low tomorrow -30F. Plus, it's very windy. Wind chills are 50-60 below. Is this when I'm suppose to pull out the latakia?

Tim
    Posted 5 months ago #
  25. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Thought I was getting away with it for a while, but I wasn't.

Non Serviam
    Posted 5 months ago #
  26. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

She has control over the rest of the house, but it's understood that this is my area and she respects that.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. dadosaurusrex

dadosaurusrex

Login to Send PM

I smoke in the house, but I usually throw one of those twin exhaust fans in the window, just to knock down the clouds a bit.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    -Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

jhblaze1

Login to Send PM

I'm primarily a cigar smoker, though being new to pipes, i'm starting to find myself reaching for the pipe more and more often...Anyway, point being, cigars STINK a lot more than pipes...I actually love the aroma of a quality cigar when you get a waft of smoke, but even I can admit a house full of cigar smoke just flat out STANKS.

As such, my wife insists on no smoking inside. Until about 5 months ago i lived in Boston, Cali now....well Xmas 2017, my wife and 2 year old son and the embryo she was carrying went to New Zealand for 2 weeks to return on XMAS eve. It just so happened to be the COLDEST damn 2 weeks ever. I sure as hell wasn't spending 1.5 hours outside to smoke my cigars, so i put a fan in the window and cracked the sliding glass door and smoked away every day. She never knew, and I'm certain she would have read me the riot act if she had.

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke inside...the car. Otherwise, it's outdoors. My wife wouldn't tolerate me smoking in the house, but more than that, it's the smell of stale tobacco smoke. It permeates everything. Whether you as a smoker can detect it or not, it's there, and non-smokers smell it right away. Also, it's not good for our dogs and cat.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still don’t smoke in the house at my wife’s request but I just made the executive decision to smoke in my brand new truck. I live in Minnesota for crying out loud. It had to happen.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

When you guys were single (and for those who are) - and that is, if you smoked pipes back then - what did your partners think of the smell of old smoke in your house?

Particularly for those who smoke in the bedroom...

I'm really curious.

I'm single and have been smoking pipes for 5 months, so far no complaints, but the smell in my bedroom is getting stronger as I'm moving to non-aromatics.

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. luigi

luigi

Login to Send PM

I smoke inside but only in one room. My people don't complain so far except when I light up some cigar leaf blend. When they won't tollerate it any more I'm gonna build a man cave in the basement and smoke there. I wouldn't smoke in a bedroom even if I could.

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Well, luigi, my bedroom is my refuge, my sanctuary, my study center, the place where I get my sexual partners to sleep, and also my smoking place! It's my second home.

I have virtually nowhere else to smoke. I share my apartment with my mother and it is small, so it's got to be here!

When I'm typing my messages in the forum, I'm also smoking most of the times. Not bad to smoke in front of the PC.

Still waiting for you guys' stories as single men...

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. luigi

luigi

Login to Send PM

I don't blame you, buddy, I can hear you. I luckily have plenty of space I could use for smoking, it's a privilege that I'm really thankful for.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ray47, 3rdguy, georged, alaskanpiper, pepesdad1, olkofri, nhhiggy, tobacconut, ashdigger, hugodrax