How Many of the Pipes You Own Do You Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How many of the pipes that you own do you smoke? To simplify the question, let me ask, how many of the pipes that you own intending to smoke them, do you actually smoke in rotation on a regular basis. I know a number of Forums members buy pipe in lots to fix up and sell, and others collect some pipes that you don't intend to smoke. So the question is, how many that you bought to smoke do you actually smoke?
It might be helpful to know how many pipes you have, and how many, by number, you smoke, or by percentage as an estimate.
I think I have about 80 and smoke at least 70 in rotation. Others, a clay pipe, a Haitian pipe with a tin-can lining, and a few others, don't get smoked often or at all. Rounds off to about 88%, although I admit some pipes wait longer than others to come back around. Some just have that magnetism.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Of the pipes that I bought to smoke, I smoke all of them. There are a few that are more fragile, so I don't smoke them often. I have something in the neighborhood of 120 pipes and I tend to create rotations of rotations, so that they go through a period of regular use followed by long periods of rest lasting anywhere from a few months to a year before going back into regular rotation for a few weeks. The few collectors pieces, like the unsmoked 1907 Barling set, don't get smoked.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
All of them. I buy them to smoke them. A couple may not get smoked more than once or twice a month though. The number of pipes I own, discounting cobs, rarely exceeds 20 or so. This does not include a Russian made pipe which was given to me, looks terrible and smokes only so-so. It's a gift, with some memories attached, so it doesn't get tossed.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
3-4 always make the weekly rotation
Another 3-4 sometimes make the weekly rotation
Another 3-4 are in a box somewhere!
(Not counting a handful of cobs I use from time to time and a few new ones)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
All of them of course!

I have 17 pipes of which 6 are cobs. When finances permit (which is rare) I'll more likely than not purchase another here and there, but no rush and certainly not foremost on my mind as I can only smoke one at a time which seems to have worked out rather well for many years.

Jan 8, 2013
Currently, I own 12 pipes, 4 cobs and 8 briars. One one briar doesn't get smoked, an 82 (birth year) Dunhill that was given to me as a gift by a former member here (not sure what happened to him). The rest all get smoked regularly.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I smoke all of them. Though some may not see action for a couple weeks. Currently smoking a Savinelli broomhilda. Haven't touched it for two weeks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Up to 90 now. Smoke three to four pipes a day, so usually have a month's rotation where they all get smoked.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have 125 pipes and I purchased each one of them to smoke. I'll smoke one and then put it back in the rack after cleaning. I'll then grab a different pipe and do the same. I generally smoke around 12 different pipes in one day. After smoking the 125th pipe I start all over again. Each pipe gets plenty of rest.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Out of my couple dozen, I regularly smoke 5. Most of the rest are smoked on occasion. I have ummmm... I believe 4 that I've never smoked. Of those

2 I'm unlikely to smoke until I'm diagnosed with a terminal illness :) and even then it's not a sure thing.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have about 60 pipes and all but two get smoked. The two that don't were estate pipes that were bought unsmoked so I left them that way. With over 50 others to choose from I really didn't need to christen them.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have just under 40 pipes, all bought to be smoked. I smoke all of them but tend to have a few favourites that get reached for more often and a few that don't see much action but still get smoked. :puffy:

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I've got 7 Briars and 3 Cobs. Rarely smoke the Cobs. When home, I smoke a lot, so I don't rotate pipes, except I tend to smoke 5 of the seven Briars more, letting the Poker and large Radice Billiard rest. I need more pipes.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Everything that I own, including the shop burners, sees regular action. Of course, not hard to do when you only have a dozen or so pipes. Even the ones delegated to shop only or pool only make it in the rotation.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I've got maybe 20 pipes. While I've smoked them all, about 10 rarely get picked. Of the other 10 there's probably a top 3 or 4 that see the most regular use.

Status
Not open for further replies.