PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Between looking at my tobacco cabinet and the "How Much Do You Smoke" thread; I was curious to know how many tins, mason jars, pouches, sample bags etc. of tobacco you guys generally have open at one time? I currently have 33 mason jars, 4 open tins and 10 sample bags of tobacco available for my smoking pleasure. That seems like a lot to me, but its nice to have a variety of blends to choose from. How many do you have?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I probably have 80+ jars of various blends. Most are stashed in my closet and I have about a 18 or so on my shelf that I dip into. Less than half of those get smoked regularly.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If we are talking active tobacco rotation, I have about 20. I don't smoke aros or VaPers, so that narrows things down a lot.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
One can never have too much tobacco on hand. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine for starters. Once you get a couple of tons of tins and mason jars of tobacco, well, that's when you can rest easy. Since you have 33 mason jars full, four open tins and ten sample bags stockpiled, I do think you are off to a good start.
Best,
Pipestud

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I try to keep my open jars to a minimum and if I open one, I usually transfer some to a small mason jar (2 or 4 oz). Of those I usually will have 5 or 6 available.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I have 9 pint sized mason jars and 1 quart sized mason jar. Although 'cellared' I consider them in my active rotation.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Lets see... Four small jars (and two of them are the same blend), an open tin of GLP Sextant, and three open 1oz bags of B&M purchases... For me, this is too much, as I've had to rehydrate one already. At about a pipe or two a day, I need that down to more like the four jars alone, no tins besides.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Nine open tins transferred to jars, and 13 bulk jars. I have an additional 48 tobaccos in 60 sealed tins or jars. This week I have been smoking mostly 7 or 8 different blends in my Rotation.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
image87-530x600.jpg

The middle shelf is my active rotation, some 40+ jars. There are about 15-20 of them that get smoked on a daily to weekly basis, the rest may only get smoked once a moth or once every several months. I'd say I have more than I need, but its nice to have choices!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The title has "to many" which should be "too many", think of using the word toooooo with an extra o added as an exageration.
The Spelling Nazi has arrived. :nana:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My blends vary wildly! Mostly English/Balkan blends and aros, with a few Burleys and a couple of Va and Va/Pers in the back. I'm not big on Va's and Va/Pers so they rarely get smoked.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Pipesutd:
One can never have too much tobacco on hand. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine for starters. Once you get a couple of tons of tins and mason jars of tobacco, well, that's when you can rest easy. Since you have 33 mason jars full, four open tins and ten sample bags stockpiled, I do think you are off to a good start.
Thanks, I have another 18 un-open tins and an 8oz package of Penzance in my cellar. When I get my next order I'll add another 4 tins to the cellar and one more bulk to my tobacco rotation. I don't consider my mason jars as part of my cellar as I do smoke from them, so they are part of my tobacco rotation. Its nice to know I'm not the only one with a large size tobacco rotation. Slowly but surely I'm building up the cellar too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd feel like a killjoy giving some cut-off, especially if it were restrictive. I'd go at this question a different way. Whether

you have cabinets and storage boxes full, to last you the rest of your life, or a small stash in the drop-front of your

pipe rack and on a shelf or two, you don't want so much that you feel you have to put it in your will. I think probably

being somewhat restrained about quantities, so you still feel rational when you order a new blend to try, is a good way

to go. If you're going to order more than a pound of anything, it should be something you've enjoyed for a couple of

years, so you have reason to believe you will continue to enjoy it. Otherwise, going a few tins at a time, and allowing

yourself some variety, is probably sensible. Or if hoarding mega quantities is your joy, that's okay. Just tell us about

it so we can buy stock in Ball Jars.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
That cabinet set up is amazing!
For me I have open @ 4 tins and 5-6 jars of bulk. Not much I know but I have thinned out the herd a little lately.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
petes03 - that is a great looking cabinet (very jealous!!)
Of my 28 cellared blends I have 26 open at all times for my rotation
Wow, I guess like they say, variety is the spice of life!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks Six and Badger! It's taken me quite a while to get it there. I'm starting to cellar more now than I ever have, I hope to triple my bulk tobacco by the end of January. That's my B-day month and I get a bonus that month, so look for me to have a major TAD post around the ends of January!

Status
Not open for further replies.