PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was just curious how many guitarists we have. I myself was learning a couple years ago, but unemployment stalled the lessons. Mostly I'm into playing metal/grunge. Seether, Staind, Nickelback, Cold (not Coldplay!), Soul Asylum. That sort of sound. I like a lot of different genres, but my heart is in the 90's alternative/grunge and todays post grunge. When I do play around I usually play on my Ibanez acoustic or Ibanez SA Series electric with my Line XI Spider IV amp.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I started playing guitar over 10 yrs. ago... Now I'm a recording singer-songwriter that plays guitar, bass, piano, banjo, mandolin, irish whistles, and harmonica. I was wondering the other day how interesting it would be if I could learn how to sing with a pipe in my mouth. I've tried, but it mainly results in drool pouring down my chin! :crazy: Course, that idea would likely grow defunct since I mainly play for different churches. :roll:
I like your choice of music lordofthepiperings... I used to listen wholly to 90's grunge and such but now lean more towards acoustic progressive stuff, and the great folk legends of old. Dang, I love music. It's all too good.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Bass when I play in public, acoustic guitar for myself. I believe that playing by the fire pit on a nice night has the same positive effect on longevity as pipe smoking. Smoke while you play, double longevity points!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm a bassist who also plays guitar. The hardest part was to lear to play guitar like a guitar player. you almost have to develop a split personality. you can hear some of my nonsense here.
http://www.killersbytrade.com/hearandbuymusic.htm

keeper

Lurker
Jun 29, 2010
I think it's interesting that there's a lot of bass players. I've met a lot of them over the years, and they tend to be more laid back and cerebral and less "competitive" and more helpful with each other than many of the guitar players I've known... traits it seems many pipe smokers share as well.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I started playing guitar over 10 yrs. ago... Now I'm a recording singer-songwriter that plays guitar, bass, piano, banjo, mandolin, irish whistles, and harmonica. I was wondering the other day how interesting it would be if I could learn how to sing with a pipe in my mouth. I've tried, but it mainly results in drool pouring down my chin! :crazy: Course, that idea would likely grow defunct since I mainly play for different churches. :roll:
I like your choice of music lordofthepiperings... I used to listen wholly to 90's grunge and such but now lean more towards acoustic progressive stuff, and the great folk legends of old. Dang, I love music. It's all too good.
*Oops! Another double post... Sorry guys. Mods?

I should be getting better wifi soon, which will result in less double clicking or whatever.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Guitar & Bass - good enough to be in a rock band

Piano & Drums - good enough to play at a drunken party

Vocals - I can do Steve Miller to a T
My first major in college was music, then I switched to computer programming, then to marketing.
Played in several bands for about 10 years. Now I just play on my couch.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Garageband on the iPad is every couch musicians dream. I can spend hours on it and even got the iRig for it.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I would call myself a musician. Hah I play guitar and bass, but I can make some noise on violins, didgeridoo, and keyboards. Does the cigar box guitar count as another? I started off playing bass and I really need to start playing it more often. My finger strength has suffered enormously from these years focusing on speedy guitar playing.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I play guitar. It is another passion that I have let get away from me. Love the instrument as much as I love just playing it. I have 13 at present. I know crazy! can only play one at a time but I love them just like pipes. I like a different one every day...

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Guitar and bass for this guy, mostly metal in all its incantations (not going to start the genre arguement here!) and blues, with a few classic rock tomes thrown in for good measure. When I was a kid, my father started me off on the banjo, as my fingers weren't big enough for the fret-board on his acoustic, but I really don't chicken-pick much these days (probably because I don't own a banjo).
Currently playing a Larivee neck-through-body electric sporting an S-D Jeff Beck Special 'bucker in the bridge position, and an EMP Intruder at neck. Noise is made through a Marshall Kerry King signature series head and cab. When I'm sitting around the campfire, I pull out the 1961 Hohner dreadnaught acoustic passed onto me by my father.

On very rare occasions, I'll pull out my great-grandfathers fiddle or mandolin just for giggles.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Been playing guitar since I was 18. Took up drums a little while ago. Never been in a band. I don't have enough friends for that. :)
Got a Fender Stratocaster, Yamaha AES 620, BC Rich cutaway acoustic and a handmade classical guitar. My wife has a Gibson V. She a big Scorpions fan, so we play a number of their songs together.
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.