PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How many medium size (Dunhill Group 4) bowls do you get out of a standard

176 oz./50 g tin? I'm thinking averages here, since much can depend on the

cut of tobacco, moisture, density of packing, etc. etc. But on an average?

Reactions: radrick96

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've been keeping track for the last several 2 oz jars and tins I've smoked through. Average seems to be 20, with a range of 18-23.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I've seen this question asked before, maybe on a different forum. If you're looking at a specific bowl and/or blend I would suggest cracking a tin and loading it up, dump and repeat until you get your answer. Although you did ask for an average and I think you got your answers.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Generally speaking, 20 bowls per 2oz tin; 10 bowls per ounce.
Of course, it's a question of weight vs. volume, so it doesn't always work out like this. For instance, I recently got closer to 30 bowls from a tin of Charing Cross. And I'll likely get fewer than 20 from a heavier flake unless I really rub it out (i.e., increase its volume).
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, so less than a dollar a smoke on the average. Compare that to cigars! Twenty a tin is an ample

number, to me.

• Haha

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Okay, so less than a dollar a smoke on the average."
Oh, usually significantly less! After all, a $10 tin would equal about .50/bowl. And even a $15 2oz tin would only come to .75/bowl.
Which is why I'm constantly amazed when folks complain about the prices of tinned tobacco. Taking the time of a smoke into consideration (30-45 minutes for a bowl, say), you can smoke the highest-quality tinned blends for much less cost than you can smoke even cheap cigars and cigarettes. And when you compare boutique pipe-tobacco blenders with boutique cigar makers, there's absolutely no comparison. Even if you paid $1/bowl for the pipe tobacco, you'd pay at least 1,500% more to have a comparable-quality cigar!
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Of course, it must be said that discussions of this sort always have to leave one big variable out of the picture: The cost of the pipe. That's probably the leveler here. If you had one pipe that you smoked every day for, say, 20-30 years, then the cost would be neglible. But if you've got 40 pipes that you're smoking for 20-30 years, then it does raise the per-bowl cost -- especially if you start talking about pipes in the $250+ range.
But I choose to completely ignore that side of the discussion. :) Cigar smokers won't pick up on it, if we're debating with them. Only spouses and significant others will suspect something's missing in our math.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bob, I totally agree that the cost of the pipe should never enter into the equation because once you vuy it you won it forever. I can smoke the most expensive tinned tobacco for maybe .80 a bowl and get 1.5 hours of smoking pleasure from group 4-5 sized pipe. When I was smoking cigars( 4-6 a day) I would spend about 24-36 bucks a day. I loaded up a 25 year old cellar for less than I would pay for a yearly's allotment of cigars. This is why I have never balked at any price for a tin of pipe tobacco, it is so freaking cheap compared to cigars and even cigarettes are way more money. I figured that if I smoked a pack at day at 6.00 a pack that is 2184.00 per year for 25 years that is 54,600.00 for 25 years and it only cost me about 20 grand for a 25 year supply of pipe tobacco which saved me over 30k. So I look at my pipe tobacco stash as being totally free.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
So I look at my pipe tobacco stash as being totally free.
A master of self-deception!
But yes, pipe tobacco is cheap, and like rmbittner, I have to chuckle when I see people complaining about the 'high cost' of stuff like an Esoterica bag, which is $35, or any of the $10-12 tins. The only pipe tobacco that seems expensive to me on a per-gram basis is the Solani stuff that's $20/100gr. But even that's cheap. I could buy 3 decent Padron sticks for that, but I'd likely get 35 smokes out of that 100gr tin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good point on the cost of the pipes, but they do last, some a lifetime. You don't leave

them crumpled up in an ashtray or toss them in the gutter.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
if memory serves, I got 14 bowls out of my last tin of escudo.
one of the cheaper thrills this side of vegas, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.