How Many Bowls Per Day? Yeah Yeah I Know It's Been Asked Before

(51 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from hawky454
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been away for a while and don't really know any of the new folks so I figured I would ask this question. Yes it is a question that may have been asked once or twice in the past. It is a question that is universally acknowledged to be the most important question ever asked on this or any other pipe forum. You of course realize that by my asking the question, it is fundamentally more important than if anyone else had asked it. You may proceed.

Oh yeah, I smoke anywhere from 3-5 bowls per day.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3-5, phhht, you had me convinced that you were a real pipesmoker. I smoke 10-12, and I have been known to do some heavy smoking on the weekend.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Less than one.

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, you are my hero. I feel like when I am smoking even 5 bowls a day I never take the pipe out of my mouth. My normal bowl last for 1.5 hours. I smoke almost exclusively group 4-5 sized pipes. How in the hell do you get 10-12 in one single day? Are you waking up at 6 am and going to sleep at 12 am and smoking every minute you are awake? What size bowls do you smoke? I know jiminks is in your league.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a good exercise in self-honesty. I'd say I average one bowl a day, some days two, some days none. But I know some days I'll do three or four, and I have gone for several days without, preoccupied or traveling. When I check back on "what are you smoking," this sounds about right, though I don't log in every bowl. I hope to keep it moderate, so it is a pleasure and not just a habit, and in hopes it won't cause any health problems, or contribute to them. The folks on Forums who have reduced or quit for health reasons mostly seem to have other have problems from other conditions that are aggravated by pipe smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cynicismandsugar

Jeffrey Deal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

During the fall, 2-3 bowls a day; and during summer (maybe) less than a bowl a day.

I enjoy medium to large bowls, and can make a flake last 2-3 hours.

So, throughout the year, I average a bowl a day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Monday thru Thursday= 2 bowls, that damn work gets in the way

Friday-Sunday more like 4 bowls

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

0-5 bowls a day.

On those 0 bowl days, I make sure to get in at least 30 minutes of clenching practice...it's been helping.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

A bowl every two to three days. Always outside so less in the Canadian winter.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't "get" those group sizes. Some say they have to do with the size of the briar used and nothing to do with the size of the chamber.
    Most of my pipes are stacks, .75" x 1.5", but some are wider, some taller. I find that the width of the chamber has absolutely nothing to do with the duration of a smoke. I figure about an hour per bowl, and I see no reason whatsoever to NOT have a pipe in my mouth. I really don't sleep much. Maybe four or five hours and my damn bladder makes me get up and drink coffee and smoke.
    Something has to kill me, and I might as well have a say in my own demise.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

Different bowl sizes but about 35 -40 grams a day.
    The first thing I do in the morning is to fill a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, a group 4 sized pipe would be around the following dimensions. Bowl height 1.75", bowl width .80, bowl depth 1.4. The difference in a group 5 would be bowl height 2.0, bowl depth 1.75 and bowl width .80. Most bowl widths range from .75-1.0. The group number is strictly about inside bowl dimensions. It has nothing to to with the length of the pipe or the outside size of the briar. You can have a huge chunk of briar and it still be a group 4 sized pipe.

The group sizes came from the Dunhill pipe company. They are the ones who first used it to tell people the size of their pipes. It is a guide and not an exact number. They also use the group sizes for their pricing. A group 6 is always more expensive than a group 4. Their ODA size is their largest and those can be somewhere around a 2.25 bowl height,1.0 bowl width and a 2.0 bowl depth. You can smoke that puppy for a good three hours with flake in it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Begging your pardon, but that still doesn't make sense. Just say a .75" x 1.2", if that is what you want to convey. There are still Dunnie experts that say it is based on the block size. Anyways, Dunhill is all cologne and belts nowadays. I don't even associate that pathetic name with pipes any more. F'em.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

8-12 on average.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. dunstanhillwell62

dunstanhillwell62

Login to Send PM

Anywhere from 4 to 10. My bladder wakes me up at 6am and nothing like starting the day with a large mug of coffee and a large bowl of Blue Capstan.
    I don't know anything about bowl sizes but the sizes go from a tiny Dr. Boston Lady to a huge Preben Holm bathtub.

I would have posted a picture of the two pipes in my album which I have done before but this time I can't get it to work.

Fumare Necesse Est Non Vivere
    (Masperius the Elder)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, The 3 numbers that are relevant are bowl height(2.0) bowl width(.80) and bowl depth(1.50) these number equal an average group 5 sized pipe. If you want, you can get a ruler, measure all your pipes, send me the info and we can put little stickers on the bottom of your pipes so you know what you are smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

5 to 9 is the usual range for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

I'm an irregular smoker. During the summer I indulge in cigar smoking mostly and on average 1 bowl every 2 days. Since I always smoke outside, come fall, no more cigars and I could say 1 bowl every 3 days. It also happens that I don't smoke for weeks. I'm still keeping in shape so I try to conciliate pipe smoking with my lifestyle, keeping it a pleasurable hobby and not a habit which takes over.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. swhipple

swhipple

Login to Send PM

I usually smoke 1 - 3 bowls a day depending on what I'm doing, etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I said 30-40 smokes a year, I would not be too far off.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

3-4

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being stuck in the house 24/7 I can theoretically smoke as much as I please. However I only smoke around five to six medium sized bowls per day. I actually did a weigh up the other day and I smoke 2 - 2.5g per bowl.

For some inexplicable reason, my first bowl of the day isn't really enjoyed though my evening bowls are fantastic.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, my day-time bowls deliver nicotine and satisfy what must be an oral fixation, cigarette, pipe and the occasional cigar. Evening pipes, good book or movie with a bit of port ,,, those pipes make my evenings a bit special.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cwarmouth

cwarmouth

Login to Send PM

Cudos to the humor of the OP. I smoke 1 or less. Sometimes up to three if I am fishing or spending the day doing yard work or tinkering in my shop.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. vokaa

vokaa

Login to Send PM

I smoke anywhere from 0-6 bowls a day. I sneak in 2-3 before and after work, but sometimes I have no time to sit down and enjoy any during the day. Plus, my campus is a no-smoke campus, so no enjoying a pipe during school.

Jakob

“However, no matter what the size, color, or shape is, the point is still to lean toward the discomfort of life and see it clearly rather than to protect ourselves from it.” ~Pema Chodron
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I honneur every man and woman who manage to smoke more than 5 medium bowls per day,unfortunately I'm still limited to some 3 medium bowls per day+ occasionally half corona cigar and some 2-3 cigartettes,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1 or 2 a week if that

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok ladies and gents from reading your responses it is time for everyone to step up their games myself included. I pronounce from this day forward, everyone needs to add at least 1-2 bowls a day to their current total. We have a duty to the tobacco mfgs, the pipe makers, the guys who make pipe cleaners and everyone in the pipe and tobacco industry to keep them in business. If not us, then who? There are children all over the planet that will go hungry if we do not do our jobs. Do you want that on your conscience, are you good knowing that people will get divorced because we do not buy enough pipes and tobacco.

I call on all my bothers of the briar to get off your asses, load those pipes and smoke at least 3 bowls a day from here on in. It is your duty, you cannot shirk your responsibility any longer, children are counting on you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee... and to think I wasted all these years being a non-smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hah!!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought once a day was what the doctor ordered.

Oh wait, bowls, not... errr, nevermind.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One could find a plume of excrement or urine in a pond, for example. If left bankside, in the right moisture conditions, the manure might show bloom. As it breaks down, it feeds plant life, creating larger and better blooms on many flowering plants.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Better dose it with an extra shot of Mycoban then...

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My pipe smoking has decreased from 10+ bowls a day to 3 to 5 bowls a day. I hope I'm not losing interest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Usually I smoke one to two. On a day off it may be two to three. Sunday however, after gifting my brother in law with a cob and a few tins of various blends, I smoked about 6. I was out in the country on a beautiful day and had a rare smoking buddy (was showing him the ropes) so a few factors lead to more bowls.... not that I'm complaining

I'll post again after I find the links to all the other times this question has been asked....

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, I tried cutting back, but then that left my mouth free, and my wife started talking to me, so... dry, pack, light, puff, hold... and repeat.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ She swears he's a "good listener."

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

Between 1 and 3 for me, very occasionally more. I don't ever light up before mid-afternoon, if then, and my smoking is definitely more of an evening activity. I'm with mso in that I want my smoking to remain a pleasure and not a habit.

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke 2-4 bowls a week. It is hard to work them in when I go to college and the pansies won't let me smoke there. I can't smoke with my kids in the car anymore. I end up doing lots of work/ research in the office of my house where the wife has declared it a smoke free zone as well.

I am 75% done with the man cave. I hope to have it finished off by New Years. Then I can join the 3-4 a day club.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Dunhill Group sizes always make me smile. There may be actual standards for these somewhere, although I believe they might be pretty shaky with so many different chamber configurations. It would take someone adept at calculus to categorize every pipe to standards. I joke that the Group sizing system was designed to frustrate engineers and other technicians who like quantitative data that makes sense. Whereas, if you are a non-techie and just learn how various pipes are sized, after you own a few, you can somewhat get it right by intuition. I think it is or was Iwan Ries who noted Group size on their online inventory, and that gave me a pretty good feel for it after a while. And it was a "feel," and not a precise measure. For this survey, I say a bowl is a bowl. Whether it's Brad with his megapipes or members sipping flake in their Group Ones.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

I smoke anywhere from 3-5 bowls per day.

Same here. 3-5 a day (depending on the blend strength) in medium bowls.

It is hard to work them in when I go to college and the pansies won't let me smoke there.

But they know better than you, and it's for your own good. Don't you realize that?

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's a link, since this has been asked/answered already,

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's an old thread. Harris wanted up to date info.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So... anyone want to talk about men, and what manliness smells like, how much more manly so and so is, or go on about how they just looooove men... ha, and other un-manly things like that? I think Jesse was getting the MANLY itch earlier in the thread.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke around 5 a day but most are in a small cob. Been thinking I should get it down to one or two even skip a day here or there, bring it back to leisure enjoyment rather than a need, if I'm being honest. I think the whole inhaling thing is what got me, haha there's a whole other cringing subject.

-
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    C.S Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's an old thread. Harris wanted up to date info.

That's the joke, it's from the thread he started about people responding with links to old threads.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. echambers

echambers

Login to Send PM

Right now 1 or 2 bowls a day. I do work from home so that gives me a lot of flexibility but I've also been really busy as of late.

"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  49. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It varies for me but it seems to be never less than 3 and hardly ever more than 6 these days. I can't help but notice what Harris did and that is that if I smoke 6 a day it seems as though I never take the pipe out of my mouth. Those squeezing upwards of 10 throughout the day are impressive and I wonder how you do it. I do tend to smoke flakes almost to the point of exclusivity though and I do smoke pretty slowly I think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2-4 per day........

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anywhere from 6-12 a day. I strive for 12 but I don’t always reach that goal cause life gets in the way. You’ve got to remember, I always smoke my pipes in tandem so if I smoke 6 times in one day I’ve smoked 12 bowls.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   geopiper, odobenus, ashdigger, jaytex969, oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, boffosquid, ben88, disinformatique, ray47, morgansteele, acidpox, weezell