PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I just wondered how many different blends you have on the go at one time? Are you someone who likes a blend and smokes mainly that for days or weeks at a time, or do you switch between blends with each bowl you fill?
I tend to have a set of around 6 to 8 blends that I choose between and rarely smoke the same blend twice in a day. I usually order tobacco once a month and the order is made up of my favourite 2 or 3 blends from the month before, 1 or 2 blends I have enjoyed in the past, but have taken a break from and 1 or 2 new blends to try. If I can I'll add a tin of something nice to my slow growing cellar. The new order is added to any open tins I have left from the month before.
The blends I am currently smoking are;
Gawith Hoggarth & Co - Caribbean Coconut - Coffee Caramel - Black Cherry

Peterson - Irish Flake - Nutty Cut - University Flake

Dunhill - Flake

Samuel Gawith - Grousemoor
As you can see I like my aromatics as well as something with a good nicotine punch. I look forward to reading your current blend rotation and how often it changes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think everyone will have a different response.

I smoke mainly 1Q.... There's a news flash for ya.
affraid.gif

But, I have about 10 or so blends/ tins within easy reach, and about 45 or 50 blends that I may decide to delve into at any given time. It just depends on what I feel like stoking up.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
How many do I have in my cellar? I have no idea myself as I suffer from the most excruciating TAD. Basically, if it's in my collection, I smoke it. How many blends do I smoke somewhat regularly? Right now, 7-8 give or take... I'm sure this post is most helpful. Or not.
-Jason

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am an organization freak, and I hate to have too many things open at once. Usually have 3 blends in rotation: an aromatic, an English, and the third would be flavor of the day, lol. RIght now I have 2 aros going, Goedewaagen and Townsmans Maple, and a tin of Erimore Mixture. (Forgot to pack an English for the three weeks I am offshore.) Another guy here on the rig has 3 aromatics in his rotation, so I'm getting a little variety this week. He brought Dan Vanilla Honeydew, Goedewaagen, and Very Cherry.
Open at home:

Connoisseur (Tinderbox) 1/2011

Sherlock’s Choice (Tinderbox) 1/2011

Old Dominion (Sterling) 10/11

Angler's Dream (Hearth & Home) 10/11

Penzance 7/11
So when I get home, I will probably have one of the above added into my rotation till I get tired of it, or run out of something.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
You guys have such discipline -- I have too many to count open right now. I've got probably 5 tins open, then many, many ziplock bags around here with about an ounce (or less) which had been pulled from jarred bulks. I keep saying that I'm going to smoke all this stuff, then limit myself to like three to five open blends at a time -- that hasn't happened yet!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I'm still learning what I like best.
I currently have several aromatics open, including 1Q, and several English blends open, including all 3 Seattle Pipe Club blends.
So I'll either have to have more blends open at once, or I'll have to stop trying new blends for a while.... or maybe I should just smoke more.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Lemme see - open right now:
Best Brown Flake

Black Woods Flake

Red Ribbon

Burley London

Back Porch

Altadis Balkan II

Burma Road

Stanwell Vanilla

MacBaren Vanilla

The Solent Mixture

Prince Al Choice

Larry's Blend

Fox & Hound

Gawaith Blackbeard's Flake

Penzance
I think that's all. :puffy:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I rarely smoke the same blend twice in day either. And I do love variety! So according to the ol' spreadsheet my current baccy "rotation" of open jars is:
AC Peterson/PS Escudo

EH Hoffman Spilman Mixture

G.L. Pease Key Largo

G.L. Pease Triple Play

Gawith Hoggarth Brown Bogie

Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Kentucky

Hearth&Home Black House

Hearth&Home Marquee: Sweet&Savory

Hearth&Home Strike Force

Hearth&Home Sunza Bitches

Hearth&Home Ten to Midnight

Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme

Peterson 3 P's Perfect Plug

Peterson Irish flake

Samuel Gawith 1792

Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake

Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake

Samuel Gawith St. James Flake
Also trying out some samples of Revor, Warrior and Mick McQuaid plugs I just got, thanks for that also baskerville!!

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I figure about three dozen. It's higher than usual since I'm slowly exploring all of Mac Baren's non-flake blends. The nice thing about having so many blends is that I keep getting pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy many of those blends, since my two primary blends are Carter Hall and MB Club Blend.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
my two primary blends are Carter Hall and MB Club Blend.
Interesting John -- didn't your two favorites used to be CH and Burley London Blend? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
I am glad to see Mac Baren gets some of the respect they deserve on here. We all have different tastes, but I feel some pipesters are overly-critical of Mac Baren tobaccos. I will say, not all their blends are for me, but everyone I have tried has been of high-quality and the flavor was very good.

kodiakred13

Lurker
Apr 1, 2011
West Coast BC
I currently have 29 blends in mason jars.

I smoke whatever strikes my fancy on any given day just from the mason jars.

I consider it a bit overkill as I can only smoke one blend at a time.

The rest of my tobacco is cellared in thier tins.

I will finish off some of the blends in the mason jars before I open any new tins.

However, there are always exceptions to that rule.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Currently open tins:

GLP Key Largo

McC Blue Mountain

Sutliff PS CD blend

SG Squadron Leader
Pouches and baggies:

SWRA

CH

Sugar Barrel

Walnut

1776 Tavern

Escudo

Penzance

Boswell's Northwoods

Revor Plug

TB Philosopher

TB Norse Gold

TB Captain Spice

Tewksbury Bar Harbour

Tewksbury Hobbit's Weed

Skiff

Weybridge

Smokers Pride Black Cavendish

Anglers Dream

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Still testing the waters to see which blends I like.
Open:

Tinderbox blends:

-Vanilla Black Cavendish

-Wilshire (1Q)

-Sunset

-Peach Melba

-Mild Burley

Rain City Cigar Blends

-Rain City Gold

-Rain City Reserve

Seattle Pipe Club

-Plum Pudding
Open Tins

Sutliff Private Stock

-Great Outdoors

W.O. Larsen

-Signature

Peterson

-Irish Oak
I like the SPC Plum Pudding and W.O. Larsen Signature the most so thats what usually fills the bowls.

terry

Oct 7, 2011
I have about 8 blends but I try to buy a diffent blend to sample with every tad.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Wow, maybe 20 different ones on the go. I can't resist trying a new blend when I get it, so I immediately open the tin.
Yeah, this is me too. I need to learn some discipline.

Edit: Fixed quotation.M

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Day to day, I Will likely be smoking 1-Q or H&H Black House. But I'll have 10 or so on hand for variety's sake. I prefer English, but When I'm out with the wife walking the dog, or out on the town in general, I'll smoke the aros. Today it was 7 Seas Royal. My go-to pipes are usually the MM cobs, the '55 Kaywoodie, or the Meer.

Status
Not open for further replies.