PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
It is a gloomy day in N.California. Yeah it happens. :| I have recently helped a old new pipe smoker pick up the briar once more. We were discussing the vast number of blends that are available today. I wondered how many there might be and estimated upwards of one thousand. A quick search of the forum did not turn up an answer. Soooo, I added up all the blends posted on Tobacco Reviews. :twisted: Wow! 6058. :puffpipe: :puffy: Keep in mind that does not include the shop blends that are around the country. OK. Back to getting a life.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have forgotten my math on combinations and permutations but it could be done considering number of varieties of leaf, processes for curing, maturing and flavorings. Anyone up for it? :crazy: :crazy: :worship:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I have forgotten my math on combinations and permutations but it could be done considering number of varieties of leaf, processes for curing, maturing and flavorings

I'm not sure that would work, theres so many different flavorings, you might not be able to list them all. Plus there are the various small B&M Blends that aren't available online. But it is definitely over 750.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Confusingly more than anyone could ever actually try in a life time. A good question would be how many blends have basically the same combinations of tobaccos in them and claim to be unique? I suppose technically they are if you consider different growers, regions, processors, blender, years, etc. Just in the mood to be a little bit of a skeptic today. - bp

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
As many grains of sand on the beach...
Or so it seems to someone like myself figuring out which blends he likes.
Allan

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
As of October 2012, I counted 3,433 tobacco blends (that were tried by some person and publicly commented on at least once). That's from automatically mining the internet so maybe a reasonable assumption is a 10% error margin, which would still yield around 3100-3700 blends.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Tuly, there are more than anyone could try in a lifetime. It is true that while there are an infinite number of variations in acceptable blends such as English Latakia Blends, there are outstanding examples. If you go with McClelland, Cornell and Diehl or Uhle's, for example, you really can't go wrong. For example, an all-time favorite of mine is Uhle's Bishop's Move. Unfortunately, I live inside of Wisconsin and have to pay a 71% excise tax on it bringing it to about $85 per pound. So, I don't stock it anymore. But, if you are outside of Wisconsin and want an excellent English Blend, give it a try! The point is, stick with the names you here so often, as mentioned and you really can't go wrong.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm guessing that there would be about 2,000 fewer blends if we eliminated all of the ones that are actually relabeled bags of 1Q. ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Staggering. Consider that in addition to all the different blends, you can pack a pipe with a

layer or two of different tobaccos or blends to give variety to your smoke. Oh, I didn't say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.