PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I bought some dusty Frog Morton yesterday with the date 450211. I know this means 45 (Blend) 02 (Batch) 11 (Year).
My question is, approximately how many batches of FM does McClelland process per year? If they process 2 batches a month, this would be tinned Jan 2011. If they process one batch every other month, this would be tinned either March or April 2011.
The same would go for other MCC blends as well. Is there a repository of information somewhere?

May 4, 2015
Totally guessing, but I'd think production volume of specific blends isn't public info. Doesn't seem like they want you to know that..

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Gotta agree with the above.

And, seriously,why does it matter? When I want to age a tin, I write on it the date that I acquired it, and use that for tracking purposes. I've got a tin of McCranie's Red Ribbon open now. I got it in June of 2006. I know it's at least 10 years old. Is it probably older? Without a doubt. Do I care? Not in the slightest. It's very easy to overthink this stuff. :puffy:

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I can see the point of MC not disclosing batch information. So thats not an issue; I was simply curious if such information was available, which it isnt.
As for why it matters? Because I am curious. Nothing more than that. I "could" only go by purchase date, but if you purchase a 5 year old tin, and only put the purchase date, wait 10 years, it will be 15 year old, not 10. I know tobacco peaks at about 10 , so the only reason to keep it longer is to sell it.
I dont see it as overthinking (which, honestly I do, and is probably why im still single, as ladies apparently aren't fond of such...but, I digress), I see it merely as wanting the correct tinned date :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I know tobacco peaks at about 10
Oh really? I'd be curious as to your source - I think you might get some dispute of that. From everything I have read,it's very much going to be dependent on the blend.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Everywhere I read, the consensus is that its about 10 years for VAs. I apologize if I inferred that all tobacco ages a max of 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.