How Long Will Pouch Tobacco Last Unopened?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I know it is recommended to buy tins or store your tobacco in mason jars, I have a really good sealing latch style glass jar I use for my opened stuff. But due to cost, I sometimes purchase pouches of tobacco but not far in advance. I was wondering if pouch tobacco unopened will still last a couple or few years, that is being stored in somewhat cool areas . . .
I know its been asked already somewhat, but I couldn't find a direct answer to unopened pouches.
Thanks

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Thanks a lot, thats what I needed to know. I live in Canada and the pouch tobacco here is pretty well all from the U.S. To be blatantly honest, the propylene glycol information there may have just officially turned me off from smoking pouch tobacco, or OTC's, I hate extra additives in anything.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I've read some very interesting articles on propylene glycol and the dangers and health risks of it. Most of the stuff I've read is relating to its use in hygienic products like soaps, shampoos and body moisturizers. I don't believe its completely safe, and I avoid using most typical hygienic products anyway and stick with a lot of organic products. I'm not to sure what the hazards would be in smoking it, seeing as I'm not inhaling, very little anyway. I guess the fact that I smoke a pipe at all is probably a similar risk 'level' as using the cosmetics . . .

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Interesting, I apologize for my ignorance in pipe tobaccos. I knew there were additives to an extent, obviously not as much as cigarettes, but I was hoping it didn't have too many preservatives, ha. Well, fair enough, there are a lot worse preservative type additives that could be used instead.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Loseth, I found this on another thread.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/preservatives-on-tobacco

got some good info on there. Hope it helps

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
by drying out oct tobacs with those additvies, do they evaporate after drying? i always let otc tobacs dry out before smokig. they smoke good and dry for me after letting them set and dry for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.