PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been looking at my old Peretti straight grain billiard for months now and have been wanting to get it back in the rotation, but alas I smoked a few bowls of GH Rum Flake in it and it has been ghosted. I kept telling myself, just smoke through it and finally today I loaded it with some Lane Limited Hazelnut that I got as a free sample from SP and am beginning the process. I am figuring( I could be all wrong) that an aromatic would maybe get the ghost out quicker than my flakes. I can deal with an aro ghost after I get the Lakeland essence out. I am kind of enjoying the Hazelnut, it is not drying my mouth out like other aro's and the flavors are not bad. So how many bowls do you think it will take? Has anyone smoked a ghost out of their pipes and how long did it take? Should I just smoke my flakes in it or is my theory about an aro being quicker, completely insane?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have you cleaned the pipe really well before going to the Hazelnut. If not, I'd give it a thorough going over.

I don't have a ghosting problem, just not sensitive to it, but on rare occasions a pipe has gone funky,

and a good cleaning fixed them right up.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a Comoy I picked up as an estate and it has the fabled lakeland essence ghost. I have scrubbed it with alcohol and pipe cleaners numerous times. I have retorted it 3 times. I did the alcohol and salt soak once. I still taste that scent. Starting to really piss me off.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Harris, since I know you're divesting yourself of Euro pipes, you should sell it to me for $20, give me the crappy GH Rum Flake that caused your dilemma...and problem solved!...the ghost is gone....

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
From what I can tell, you have more sensitive tastes than most guys around. That ghost may never leave. Even if the physical ghost is gone, the emotional, spiritual, and psychological damage may be permanent. Sorry, but I think it's less painful to hear the truth now. Tongue in cheek, of course. I don't think it's possible to remove a lakeland ghost. I tried to once and 100 grams later, was still there in full effect.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm still working on getting the ghost out of my Savinelli Caramella 920. Accidentally tried out Ennerdale Flake in it a few months back and it's still noticeable. I'm thinking of just dedicating it to cherry blends. Those seem to overpower everything. I guess the only other things to do would be alcohol clean it and if that doesn't work you could work the cake back carefully.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have a pipe so ghosted with Perique that I have considered tossing it into my fireplace.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If your ghost used to be a smoker himself, it can take a long time. Just find out whatever tobacco he doesn't like and fill the entire house with smoke. Don't forget the basement and attic.
5614248904_efffd7b638.jpg

My friends and I smoked a ghost out of the guest house once. It took half a pound of latakia and a whole case of wine.
Good luck.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Suggest everyone avoids those particular Kendal-derived tobaccos which are known to be flavoured with "Lakeland Essence", concentrate on the best ones! (joke!) LOL

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I believe it will depend on the ghost blend and how badly its ghosted. I had a pipe ghosted really bad of 1792 Flake or something similar. Even after I cleaned it up and then sent it out for refurbishing and a good reaming it was still ghosted. I eventually sold it on ebay, because I just couldn't bring myself to smoke it. It was a good smoker and looked great, but I just couldn't deal with the ghost.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for all the responses guys. It sounds like I will have to send this out for an ozone treatment and full refurbishing. I do have some CH to run through it, but I don't know if I can take smoking a dozen bowls in it and then find out it still needs to be sent out.
The pipe is too nice to sell, and it has some sentimental value. When I was a kid I used to go to Peretti shop with my dad so owning a pipe from them was always something I wanted to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.