PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I only have one pipe at the moment. It's a cheap basket pipe and I smoke it everyday 1-3 times. How long will it last me doing this? I don't have much $$$ for new/new to me pipes yet, but don't want to destroy the one I have. Are there any precautions I can take until I have enough to purchase a couple more pipes?

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Uh, I haven't had a burn out yet, and I figure as long as you let the pipe cool down fully after you're done smoking it, it should be alright. Key word is should.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Don't let it get too hot and clean it with a pipe cleaner every day or two and it will probably outlive you. Well, barring stem breakage and unseen flaws in the wood. That's what happened to my favorite basket pipe - there was a flaw on the inside of the shank - no one could have ever guessed it was there and one day I went to take the stem out and CRACK. I boo hoo'ed for nearly a week even though I have about a dozen pipes in rotation.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
If you let it cool and clean it between smokes you should get a long life out of your pipe. Occasionally you'll want to ream it, but that wont be for a little while. I would also recommend a cob because they are cheap and it will add one more pipe to your collection. :D If you have a little more you could get a Dr. Grabow.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Same as above. I think thats what the fellers did in the 50's.
My grandfather and I often have long discussions on care and maintenance of pipes (for those who don't already know the story, my wife and I care for him in his declining years). He hasn't smoked a pipe since the 70's, but, like all of us bretheren of the briar (or cob, clay, metal, or meer - if you smoke Brylon you're on your own!), he is opinionated, curmudgeonly, and loves to talk about all things tobacco.
He relays the following tale about pipe-ownership. In his youth (pre-War years), it was common practice for his mother to buy him a new pipe each year for his birthday. Upon receipt of the new smoker, the old one would often be round-filed (unless he received a real dog of a pipe). His pipes never saw a pipe-cleaner, nor a reamer; and would smolder from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year. When asked how he dealt with a sour pipe, he replies simply "You just did.".

The last pipe his mother gave him was a '65 Dunhill - he doesn't remember the line, but recalls that it was a simple straight billiard. Shortly after receiving the pipe, his mother passed away, and my grandfather made the decision that this Dunhill would be his "go-to" pipe for sentimental reasons. He figured it took him about three years to actually develop a burn-out - but he did. Seems the repair that his local B&M performed was quite clever - they drilled out the burn hole (right at the base of the bowl) slightly, then inserted a jewelers screw into the resulting tunnel.

***note: I don't treat my pipes like this - I fall into the clean 'em daily, and introduce alchohol and a reamer once per month category.
Sadly, I did not inherit any of his pipes; nor his brothers or fathers. To them; pipes were as disposable as a cigarette filter.
Oh, and to answer your question; before I was able to add to my rotation through the discovery of cobs, I found that I could smoke the same pipe up to three times per day without too many detrimental effects. Of course, this also assumes that you are able to break down your pipe and give her a good cleaning after each smoke...but, of course, YMMV depending on your technique.

As stated by others, I would consider either a couple of Missouri Meerschaum cobs or a Dr. Grabow or two to extend your rotation some...you should be able to pick up the cobs for

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I think burn outs are pretty rare.I've only had one in fourty years.I'm pretty sure it was the result of a defect in the wood.You probably shouldn't be overly concerned about it.I've known a lot of old time pipe smokers who actualy only owned one pipe at any given time.I'm not saying that you shouldn't have more pipes.I'm just saying enjoy what you have until you get more.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think burn outs are pretty rare.I've only had one in fourty years.I'm pretty sure it was the result of a defect in the wood.You probably shouldn't be overly concerned about it.I've known a lot of old time pipe smokers who actualy only owned one pipe at any given time.I'm not saying that you shouldn't have more pipes.I'm just saying enjoy what you have until you get more.
I agree with Puffy's statememts. I have about 25 pipes in rotation,but only use one pipe per day and will smoke 12-15 bowls a day in it.If you build and maintain a good cake a pipe will last for a good many years. I've never had pipe that was properly broke in(most of mine are estates) burn out.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Great information. Thanks so much for easing my "fears". I had wondered what they did before PAD. I'll be looking to grab a corn cob at the end of the month. I do clean my pipe after every use with a pipe cleaner. Hopefully it will last for many many years.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Schmitzbitz, That story makes me want to cry! Just thinking of all the cool old pipes discarded like trash.. ugh!
I just put an order of cobs, 3-5 I can't remember. AND I CAN'T WAIT! :lol:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah I've only had one pipe burn out on me in 13 years and I'm pretty sure that was due to a defect in the wood as well. The spot that burnt out in my pipe was hot from the very first smoke.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Never had a burnout .Just be sure to keep it clean run a pipe cleaner through it after every smoke and brush out the ash , I like to corkscrew a paper towel in the bowl after every smoke .as well . I dislike kake of any measureable thickness . By useing the paper towel as a corkscrew it only leaves a very hard kake .

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I usually smoke my small clay many bowls one after another (since smoking a bowl takes about as long as it takes to smoke a cig) - not even bothering to use a pipe cleaner.
But with briars I do like to give them at least a days rest. I find they taste better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.