How Long Should You Let Jarred Tobacco Marry?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm trying to visualize how you put the baccy under pressure, without much equipment. I'm

seeing a wad of home blend between two pieces of wood cranked tight between two C-clamps,

inside a gallon ziplock bag to preserve some moisture. But I doubt this would work. What does?
I have two or three home blends lounging in a small canning jars, just experiments. The one

I've tried seems to be too wet, or for whatever reason won't light up nor stay lit. I'm eying the

compost bin. Then I grab a bag of bulk blend and study the problem. Ha!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm trying to visualize how you put the baccy under pressure, without much equipment. I'm

seeing a wad of home blend between two pieces of wood cranked tight between two C-clamps,

inside a gallon ziplock bag to preserve some moisture. But I doubt this would work. What does?
I have two or three home blends lounging in a small canning jars, just experiments. The one

I've tried seems to be too wet, or for whatever reason won't light up nor stay lit. I'm eying the

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
How long should Jarred tobacco cure for optimum taste?
Hmmm. . . No one seems to be asking where this jarred tobacco came from in the first place. Do you mean bulk blends that arrived loose and then went into a jar? Tinned blends that you opened and jarred? Bulk blending leaf that you mixed yourself?
To be honest, any tobacco blend you buy should be "married" when you get it. You're not likely buying something that was blended yesterday; many blenders age blends for weeks, months, in some cases years before they're released to the public.
Good things do happen to tinned blends that are allowed about 3 years to age (in the tin). So I guess if you wanted to duplicate that with a bulk, then I'd say "three years." But in my opinion, you're almost talking apples and oranges, here. Different things can happen in a tin vs. what will happen in a jar over that time. And my personal bias is that any tobacco worth smoking is worth tinning; I tend to believe that many bulk blends aren't using the best leaf in the first place, so I have to wonder how much any time in a jar will improve them. (But, again, that's just my own personal prejudice here.)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.