How long should I rest after getting tongue bite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Just got my first good case of tongue bite and I'm wondering how long you usually need to rest your mouth before you smoke again? Sadly this is a blend I've smoked a fair amount of (WO Larsen Old Fashioned) that I absolutely love and I think I may have just over done it. :(

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
It really depends, I've had tongue bite that's lasted a few hours and then one that's lasted several days. But a day should be sufficient in many cases.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It sounds like burn, rather than bite. Just rinse with Biotene every day until your tongue is better, then smoke slower and dry your tobacco more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Once your tongue is feeling better the next time you light up pay attention and see if when the smoke is hitting your tongue are you getting a tingling kind of burn. If that is happening it could be you and that blend are not compatible. We all have different body chemistry's so you may not be able to smoke certain types. For me it is red Virginia's that burn my tongue the instant the smoke hits it. I spent a long time and a lot of money trying to smoke through this condition until I learned about it. If it is regular tongue bite time and Biotene will help. I would also recommend drinking sweet iced tea when you smoke and avoid carbonated or citrus drinks.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm stubborn and impatient so I decided to try the following:
1. Let the tobacco dry for a half hour before smoked (local blend called AUE TQ which I suspect is their version of 1Q

2. Packed the bowl much looser than ever before, probably close to half the normal amount I've been doing

3. Smoked a LOT slower

4. Had sweetened ice tea to drink with it
Had my best smoke yet! So flavorful, smooth and only had to re-light 2x. When I cleaned the pipe out (Brigham system pipe) the wooden filter was barely damp at the end, previously they have been soaked when I took them out to clean. Thanks for all the input, that was far and away the best smoke I've had yet.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Yep, I figured there was no chance of me waiting a few days before trying my next bowl so I followed the rest of the advice. Worked like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.