PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I find, with my Zippo, that after it is filled, if I don't use it for even a couple days it is empty. The fuel evaporates much to fast. It is not an old lighter as I bought it new and am still on the same can of fuel. Do they all evaporate this fast?

tkdlaxer

Lurker
Nov 13, 2011
Yeah its just part of a zippo, great as all get out, but don't hold fluid for long. I read on here that if you smear some petroleum jelly on the insert then put it in the case it will help it last longer. I just tried it and it seems true so far.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I guess this is a dumb question, but here goes........Referring to the insert, do you mean the entire outside of the insert? Does that also include the Cotton on the bottom?

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Depends how much I use it!
Haha but on a more serious note... Mine lasts me probably a couple weeks or so.

Hope you are able to fix the problem brother!
Happy puffin! :puffy:

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Mine evaporates too often for me. I get annoyed constantly refilling it and find myself just reaching for a cheap corner store lighter most of the time.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Fish:
Smoked nails for 30+ years - at 1 to 1.5 packs a day - lit with a snug fitting Zippo. I always kept a light smear of Vaseline/petroleum jelly on the metal walled insert and I'm talking a "skim" of Vaseline. Nothing on the cotton, mate.
My Zippo was refilled every three days whether it needed it or not. YMMV.
Fnord

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I have a newer Zippo pipe lighter model, and it needs refilling about every 3 days or so. My dad's old regular model Zippo (circa 1943) can go nearly a week before it needs refilling. Not sure why...

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I chucked the fuel and got a butane insert. It is great and it is a pipe style. No smell and no liquid and I still get a Zippo.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
These little keyring fuel canisters are helpful. I have one that I bought on Amazon. It gives you enough fuel to refill completely. I also use the petroleum jelly; it's helpful, I think.
312zGKCTZHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Mine evaporated as well - though not quite that fast. Plus I found that I was going through flints fairly rapidly.
I switched to a colibris butane pipe lighter and love it. The flame goes straight into the bowl, no fuel odor and it lights like a champ. I still like my zippo - they're well made classics, but I rarely use it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.