PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I just got a Big Ben Charme in the mail today, and it ended up being much smaller than expected, actually it is the smallest of my 8 pipes. I smoked a full bowl a few times today, and it lasts no longer than half an hour... is that uncommon or do you have a pipe that only lasts a half hour or less on a full bowl?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have a Sebastian Beo acorn that's good for half an hour. That's why I bought the pipe-- I wanted a nice short smoker, and got what I paid for.

I have six Savinelli Piumas that I use for burning Virginias. The bowl sizes are about .6" X 1", and I can stretch a smoke out to an hour in them, but I am practicing stretching it out to an hour and a half at four draws a minute. Gotta get in shape for the next slow smoker competition :wink:

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do have an old Big Ben small chimney. I do smoke usally half an hour. Not more than that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Peterson Belgique rustic straight yacht, Group 1 size, that lasts 20-30 minutes, sometimes a little

longer. I have found it has several good uses. It is good for really strong tobacco, especially at first, to get

a range on a blend. It is good for a short bowl of a different blend before or after smoking a larger pipe,

like an appetizer or dessert. It is good for a short smoke when time is limited. I always considered such

small pipes novelties, souvenirs, or toys, until a Forum member mentioned he has mostly Group 1 and 2

pipes. That made me order this one.

Aug 1, 2012
I've got 8 pipes that last 1/2 hour or less. 4 of them are fairly old and one only lasts 10-15 min. Love the small pipes for when I don't want a full length smoke.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've got an ancient little Genod Dublin that lasts anywhere from half an hour to three quarters depending on the blend. I like it for dogwalks.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Geez, what's with all these gigantic pipes! My smallest is a tiny miniature Barling that is good for 10 minutes, tops, and that's only if I'm smoking it very slowly. Next up is a Comoy's Old Bruyere from the '20's, made for a leprechaun as near as I can tell, that could go for 10 minutes on a good day.

You thing that you have small pipes? Sheesh!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I get about fifteen minutes of Molto Dolce enjoyment out of this Stanwell Harlekin Pipe.
IMG_20140114_013216_726_zps1bed8c0e.jpg

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I have a smallish Don Carlos Dublin that only lasts about 30 to 45 minutes. I really like the pipe but it is such a short smoke that it gets passed over often.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have a Tom Thomb (yes it is spelled ThOmb) mini briar straight pot. The bowl is barely wide enough to get a tamper into, and barely .500" deep! I can stretch it to 20+ min., but it normally runs about 15min. My "normal" group 1 sized pipes I can stretch to 40 min or so depending on the blend.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
My EWA Aunis can get 30 min with a rubbed out flake. Keep pipes like that for Kendal nic kicks.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Personally I prefer smaller pipes, but I'm still able to get a solid 45 min to an hour out of a .7" X 1" bowl. I find it next to impossible to have a pipe smoke less than 30 min, unless I let it purposefully go out. But that is just me

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
My mm cob legend is my smallest bowl at the moment. Gives me a solid 30-45 minutes.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My Pete Belgique, Kaywoddie Campus and MM Pony Express all last about 15 minutes. I imagine my vest pipe would also last about 15 minutes, but I've never smoked it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
None of you guys have those really really small clay pipes P&C was giving out a bit ago?
I bet those are like a 10 min smoke.
My smallest is a Dr. Grabow which is a solid 25 min smoke. But I have put a flake/coin in it recently and it lasted 40 minutes, which was quite nice.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I do have a clay also, but the smoke tends to last longer because I smoke it very slowly. The bowl gets really hot even under normal smoking conditions. not sure if it's the same as the P&C pipe you are referring to, but based on the bowl size I'd say 15 minutes normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.