Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
A size 4 Dunhill bowl, easily packed, 2mm under the rim, with a ribbon cut English mixture gets me about 1.5-2 hours of smoke, when I smoke it to the bottom, a small lump of charred tobacco left. What about you?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If I pack a group four size for work, I can smoke it on the drive to work, on three breaks, and still have enough tobacco to smoke on the drive home.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
You can't say, too many variables, the type of tobacco, how humid/dry is it, how much it is packed, how do you puff, if you rest in between. I don't really time the length of the smoke and I don't care about. I would say however that 45-60 minutes is generally the length of my average smoke, shorter than that and I feel unsatisfied, longer than that and I start to get tired and getting too much aftertaste.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Then there's monsters like this that will burn a bowl of Plumcake for about 3 hours.
img_20150106_084026.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Loose tobacco averages out about an hour in a Group 4 (medium sized) pipe. But this is highly variable. Flake can be nursed for much longer, as can plug and rope, and to some degree coin; likewise these can give an hour in one of the smaller pipes. If you take an extra large pipe and pack it with flake, you can get beyond two. I seldom run a bowl right through, but smoke intermittently, spacing the relights, just because I'm poking around at projects, chores, reading, etc. But I'm giving continuous times for this post. Along with medium size pipes, every one can use an extra large and a small pipe or two (or, always, more). On the other hand, dry burleys can finish in twenty minutes in a medium pipe even without puffing or pushing, which if you like the stuff is fine. I do.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I don't really know how big a group 4 is but an average bowl size for me is 20mm by 40 mm and that can last me between 40mins and 2 hours depending what I put in it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You can't say, too many variables,..."
Indeed, it's the kind of pointless question such as how fast does your car go. You might be driving a Ferrari or a Trabant where the differences are pretty marked.
To get any sort of meaningful answer you need to apply more specifics. A size 4 Dunghill packed 2mm below bowl height is simply not enough to achieve a reasonable consensus.
Regards,
Jay.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I could nurse a Straight Virginia Flake for 2-2.5 hours. A ribbon cut in a medium size bowl about 1 hour...a lot of variables come into play.....

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Are you two hour guys talking about a continuous smoke, no relights from an average sized chamber? I'd like to see that.
With a group 4 chamber, a folded flake, breath smoking and a couple of relights, it's very possible. I've never seen anyone smoke a pipe without a relight or two.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Medium sized bowl will last about an hour with ribbon cut or up to 90 min with a folded flake. I usually dump a little tobacco when I empty the bowl. I don't like the hot mess at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.