PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johno85

Lurker
May 8, 2017
Hello one & all! Something that I’ve been thinking about for a little while now. How long do you draw for? I seem to draw quite quickly and short. I still get the taste etc but I’m sure there a fuller & deeper way of doing so without tongue bite?
Tell me what you think, how long, fast/slowly do you draw?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't as much draw as "sip". I primarily smoke VA's and sipping extracts the most flavor. Barely noticeable smoke while I'm smoking.
Edit: exactly on a pipe going out or relighting.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Typically as I'm smoking im reading or browsing on my tablet... so i like to clench. I think i switch between short sips and very soft long puffs depending on how the bowl is burning.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Slow long mouth-filling draws at the beginning of the bowl

small gentle sips mid-bowl, when it's burning well

Then long mouthfuls or sips depending on how it's burning
basically:

cool bowl=long slow draws

hot bowl=small gentle sips

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
For the first time in many years I paid attention to the pipe. I'm at rest, not working and I'm drawing two or three times a minute. At rest it appears, hard to tell since I'm paying attention, I draw a bit of smoke most of the time. I'm more interested in what I'm doing, the pipe is... well, just there.
My presumption is, when I'm slogging up a hill, toting equipment that, I most likely draw deeper and harder, possibly more often. The pipe isn't a chore for me, certainly not the be all and end all, it's an adjunct to whatever I am doing at the time. The first few bowls in a new pipe are, of course, a different situation. I'm testing the pipe to see if it meets my expectations. I'm focused on the pipe then.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
did somebody notice on Y tube where pipechannel creator mr Matches860 is smoking his pipe,I'm wondering if he never getstongue

bite with his locomotive like buffing,(he gose mostly with Burley based blends)arguably those older experienced pipesmokers who smoke a lot during the day are pretty immune to tongue scortch regardless of smoking technique they follow,

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Puff to set the tobacco afire, then sip. Sipping like it's scotch, but slow. The aim is to enjoy the most flavor, which happens when the tobacco is barely simmering, just on the verge of going out. I adjust my sipping cadence accordingly to keep the blend on that edge for as long as possible. These days it's automatic, so I don't have to think about it. And don't neglect to snork, or you'll miss the boat.
EDIT: To be able to keep the blend at the edge, you also have to get it to the appropriate level of moisture content, which is nearly bone dry. Wet tobacco won't give up it's flavors. The extra water content masks flavors. When you figure this out, you're going to get the most flavors from pipe smoking.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I do gentle draws, three or four in row barely a second each. When the pipe starts letting off thicker, white smoke I stop and let it rest for up to a minute I would imagine.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
did somebody notice on Y tube where pipechannel creator mr Matches860 is smoking his pipe,I'm wondering if he never getstongue

bite with his locomotive like buffing,(he gose mostly with Burley based blends)arguably those older experienced pipesmokers who smoke a lot during the day are pretty immune to tongue scortch regardless of smoking technique they follow,
He addressed this in one of his videos. He said he starts smoking fast when he does videos. When he's not filming, he doesn't smoke that fast. Similar to when people are on camera, they tend to talk faster, basically nervous smoking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After lighting, I fill my mouth with smoke, then it's a constant ebb and flow of smoke from mouth to pipe ocassionaly raising tiny wisps of smoke from the bowl. Drives my wife crazy because she doesn't know if I'm smoking, or just chewing on a pipe. Every few minutes I retrohale some of the smoke to make the flavor stronger, but never enough to empty the smoke in my mouth.

johno85

Lurker
May 8, 2017
Taking notes from this! I appreciate you guys telling me how you do this, reason why I started this post was because I couldn’t find anything about it & thought it would be interesting to talk about, keep your methods coming please!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Stupid question, but how do you know the tobacco is dried enough? I had to put the pipe away since last Wednesday due to tongue burn (my tongue is still sore, darn it). Methinks my ribbon cut tobacco is not dry enough, even though I let it dry several hours before packing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.