How long can you keep tobacco in its original tin?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I just received in my first shipment of tinned tobacco from 4noggins.com. How long can I keep it in the tin, A. if its unopened and sealed, or B. if I open the tin? My office smells amazing right now and I really want to crack them open to smell them, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't. I received in Dunhill EMP, Escudo Navy De Luxe, Erinmore Flake and Captain Black Royal (along with my new Zippo pipe lighter).

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Gentlemen! Once I open and try something, if I put it in an airtight container like a mason jar, is it good for a few months?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Here's my haul, I'm rather proud of it today! I know it isn't much, but it's my first shipment and I'm looking forward to using the new pipe lighter too!
img-20130107-

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Once you jar it, I use mason jars, its good for years. So long as you keep it closed...i.e. load your pipe and close it when done

cant see your pic..

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
If your going to leave the tin unopened, I would check to make sure you have a solid seal... if so then you can store then indefinitely (well not really but you get the just). If the seal is loose then jar it.

If you plan on opening and smoking it... then I always jar as soon as I open the tin.
If you use a mason/canning jar you can again... store them indefinitely... just check every couple of months that the lid is still closed and tight (I check my jars about once a month to make sure they are still tightly closed)
Hope that helps.
OH and I dont see the pic,.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I don't worry about the Dunhill type tins, at least for a few months. On the other hand, the rectangular tins, such as SGawiths and flakes, are pretty sketchy once popped. The McClelland and C&D tins with the plastic lids are surprisingly good too.
hp

les

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
If I open a tin, I plan to smoke that tin up with in a couple of weeks. So I keep it in the tin except the portions I entend to smoke that day. I put that much in my leather tobacco pouch.

So I only jar pouch toby or bulk normally.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I open the tins and keep the tobacco inside for months with no problem. Never needed to use a mason jar. But if you smoke flake then you should transfer to a jar unless you will use within a few weeks, the rectangular tins do not seal very well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
On the second shelf of this picture you will see a couple of plastic containers with my open tins that I buy at Walmart for cheap money, I can keep open tins fresh for a couple of months in them.
DSC09706.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.