PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Greetings folks,
How long does tobacco stay fresh in your pipe bag/pouch? On average in your opinion and taste. Thanks.
*cheers*

Mike

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
If you have a pouch with an air tight seal, the tobacco should last for weeks unless you smoke it. Zipper pouches let air in and humidity out, so after a few days the tobacco gets crispy. Roll ups and snaps probably the same. For extended trips I use a zip lock bag,and transfer to the pouch a few bowls at a time.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I keep some from the tin in a leather snap pouch, in the old cigar box with a water pillow where I keep all open tins and bags, and it smokes fine for me even after a few days. After than I throw it back in the tin it came from. But then I've been finding I really prefer dryer tobacco anyway.

evenflow

Lurker
May 11, 2013
I put mine inside a zip-lock bag before I put it inside my zipper pouch seems to keep it fresh so far.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Some OTC tobaccos are known to go months (years?) in a pouch due to the preservatives used. For other tobaccos, you should probably move it to a mason jar unless you plan on smoking it all within a couple of weeks.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've only used my pouch with 1Q so far - and it got pretty dry after a couple of weeks. I eventually put the remainder back into the jar to rehydrate, and it seemed to work. Currently, I've got the remains of the Jamaican Rum aro in there, which I plan to smoke at the B&M later this afternoon, freeing up the jar for my sample tin from Sutliff...

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Pouches tobacco stays fresh only two or three days. A week tops. I've got one of those zippered leather ones, lined with surgical rubber. I keep it in my back pocket so the baccy gets flake treatment somewhat. Course I can't exert 1000 lbs. pressure like they do at the factory. Rear end ain't that big. But you'd be surprised at how the flavors meld that way.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Especially if its moist goin in.
That's what she said.
Wrap it up! (the tobacco, but she said that too)

------------------------------------------------
In all seriousness, I keep small amounts of various blends in ziplock bags for on the go smoking. They tend to lose something after a week or two. But those small ziplock bags of leaf get abused... Sun, heat, cold, other stuff. ;)
I don't own a leather pouch thingy. Haven't found one I like yet. The inside will have to be safe for me to wash...because I'm insane.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a roll up that I use when I'm going to be out and about.

I generally only put enough in the pouch to last a good day of smoking.

It'll dry somewhat over the course of the day, and be fairly dry by the end of the day.

But, I don't keep/store tobacco in a "pouch"... cept the occasional Carter Hall, or Paladin Black Cherry.
:puffy:

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
My Peterson fold over 2 pipe pouch lasts 5 days easy, and my Mac Barren zipper pouch is about 2 days.
I am also in Japan with higher humidity.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I have a zipper pouch but it is certainly not airtight. I found that if I want to take along a pouch of tobacco I put some in those little snack Ziplock bags, then keep it in my pouch. Keeps air out and freshness in.

Status
Not open for further replies.