PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, today at work I had a down moment. I thought I would check my Facebook quickly just to see if anything was going on. Well, low and behold on the "People You May Know" section was Kevin! I thought to myself, "Hey, I like Kevin." and friend requested him and he accepted shortly after. I worked a bit more and then figured I would check out Kevin's page. I found myself asking why Kevin likes this Mad Men show so much all the way home from work. I figured I like Kevin. I respect him greatly for creating the best forum on Piping I've found. I think the man has great taste. So, to unwind I packed up my favorite pipe, opened my computer, got on Netflix and decided to try out ONE episode of Mad Men...
I have all but abandoned my family this evening and am pretty sure that after watching a good 3 hours of this show that my secretary will probably slap me with a sexual harassment suit by the end of the day. That should be okay though, because I'll probably already have been fired for smoking and drinking in my office by 2pm.
Thanks Kevin!

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
How are you feeling Fisher? I hope better! Sounds like you're having a heck of a time.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
See, THIS is the kind of laugh I need when taking a break from paper-writing. Speaking of this site being distracting...

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Mad Men. Another show we watch due to the high caliber scripts.
chendicks_zps165bd3da.jpeg
[/url][/img]

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't seen it, but have heard interviews with the writer. I could conceivably get hooked and lose

a few weeks entranced by it. Actually, I think it is set in the sixties, and it always bewilders me that

that period is seen as a festival of acquisition and ambition. For me, it was a wall-to-wall dance

with crazy intensity with academics (I was a kid who wasn't college material who eventually did a

graduate degree ...) and my draft board. I guess for the people who side-stepped the war one way

or another, quadrupling the value of their house purchase and parking snowmobiles and other goods

distracted them from unpleasant engagements overseas. I didn't have a car until I was 27 (I was on

a ship, etc.) and didn't have a kitchen in my living quarters until I was 30. I was a mad man, but

from a different planet, perhaps a different universe from these advertising professionals in skinny

ties.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The good ole days... Why can't we have whiskey at work again?
Valid reasons escape me for the moment.
I think you have to be in a suit...gotta be the suit.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
My wife & I have watched this show from its beginning, and at first we enjoyed it, but as the episodes wore on, we began to find it kinda depressing. Here are these guys sitting around the office drinking all day, cheating on their wives, and a couple of the characters don't seem to do anything other than that.
And this season (just started) the show is really living up to its title graphics: images of well-dressed men falling in slow motion towards the ground. There just are no sympathetic characters on this show (except maybe Peggy) - just a bunch of worn-out, alcoholic depressing characters. (All this just IMHO, of course).
And has anyone noticed that the theme music is exactly the opposite (that is to say, tonal inversion) of the theme for Southland (but I think Southland came along after Mad Men, so blame that show's composer.)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
4dot
Being a former muscian, I did not notice the inversion, alhough I haven't watched Southland for a year. I am surprised at myself for not noticing that. I'm usually aware of music way beyond most.
My wife and I both love Mad Men. We watch it religously. Of course, it is an exageration of reality (reading some reviews from folks who were in ad agencies back in the '50s and 60s.
I agree that it is depressing show of life for those involved, but somehow we are captivated in the drama. Hey, its alot better than the reality shows! IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.