(87 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by tufftony
  • Latest reply from gatorlope
  1. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

this was Interesting & Good conversation,
    Ps.One older Englishman told me as what he remembered, the majority of those mining town Blue collar'pipesmokers in his youth seemed to inhale the pipe smoke and mostly what they did smoke was Condor,St Brunos and some other G&H blends as Revor Plug

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  2. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

But why respond to my threads if they upset you? You can always ignore
    them.

Great idea.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

That is an extreme sensitivity...I can't imagine what your reaction to chew would be.

Never tried and never interested me. I blame the nicotine, but it could very well be something else in certain tobaccos. For instance, I have same reaction/aversion to maduro wrapped cigars.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tuftony, are you Salted Plug come out of retirement?

In response to the question, I smoke for the flavor, nicotine hit and even some oral fixation. Even though some day differently, I think if nicotine were totally removed from pipe tobacco, you'd have far, far fewer smokers. If all I wanted was the nicotine hit, I'd chew the nic gum. Cheaper and easier.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke because I'm an asshole, the nicotine just keeps me sharp, or loose, can't remember, probably just need more tobacco. Everyone having a bully day? I can bench press a car and I'm the size of a tower! My finger was chiseled from stone!

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But why respond to my threads if they upset you? You can always ignore
    them.

Upset? How could I possibly be upset with a bunch of words strung together. I find such to be entertaining and, the give and take of the responses is stimulating for my thinking machinery. Responding keeps my fingers nimble for the guitar. But, when a thread, this one is but an example, really goes circular, it does get rather boring and tiring. I lose interest unless it is kept fresh by others.

"It's quiet out there. Too quiet."

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

I have smoked maybe 10 cigarettes in my whole life and the last time was probably over 30 years ago. Every one of them was awful. So I was probably lucky not to take up cigarette smoking, particularly as I have led a pretty athletic life. My father has smoked since he was a teenager as did his father. My grandfather died at 87 and so did his brother (also a life long cigarette smoker). My father is still going at 74 although where he can smoke is severely limited now by government regulation.

The OP’s question was how Important is the nicotine hit to pipe smokers. This made me ponder as to why I took up pipe smoking 6 months ago. I had just given up a sport and was sort of drifting. I was thinking of my grandfather one day and remembered he had a lot of pipes but I never saw him smoke one; only roll your own cigarettes. Then I searched pipes on the internet, probably found this forum and the rest is history. I am possibly lucky because I get a Nic hit from strong blends but they don’t incapacitate me. I quite enjoy it. So at this point in the pipe smoking journey I certainly look for it. Whether than will be the case in 6-12 months who knows. After getting rid of the only 2 aromatic blends I owned I just bought a new one.

So I have given up a sport for a hobby. I enjoy the Nic hit, but I also enjoy the complexity of pipes, tobacco, the history and forum/social side pipe smoking offers. My friends and family think I am going to die tomorrow but I don’t think so. What is funny though is how few pipe smokers there are. In my life (50 years) I can only think of 3 close acquaintances who smoked a pipe. Now days the only ones close by are other New Zealand pipe smokers on this forum and I may never meet any of them. Pipe smokers are seriously a hidden relic.

Glad I got that off my chest. Good evening to all.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here, let me fix the OP...

We I know that inhalation draws the largest amount of nicotine into
    the body. Merely puffing, on the other hand, absorbs very little. This is why I smoke.

If, as some claim, the "nic hit" is the main reason we smoke pipes
    we would all be inhaling and not puffing, and we aren't.

I think the notion that we really smoke pipes for a "nic hit" is
    effectively refuted by the fact that most pipe smokers do not
    inhale.

The post was worded to directly inflame those with different ideals. If you aren't going to accept other people's opinions, then stop poking a stick at the ideas of other people's The post starts off inflaming people with different ideals. Otherwise it just makes you look like an asshole here to start fights.

Unless of course, you did want to drive wedges between beloved forum friends, like... Good , good, fight amongst yourselves, bah ha ha ha.

Ultimately, you can only answer for you, and I can only answer for me. And, don't even start to propose that you know the mindset of all pipe smokers. We range from poor to rich, from good to bad, short tempered to patient, gentlemen to thugs. We all have only one common bond, and that is that we enjoy burn an addictive weed in a piece of wood, or stone, or metal. That's it. And, that's enough. You may or may not have been aware that most of these divisive posts that you've been making are all old hashes. Unless of course you are Saltedplug, and that would make sense too. Buttttttt... Saltedplug was a devoted strong nicotine blend smoker, so... I can only guess that you just jumped in and started with the divisive posts instead of joining already posted conversations because you were anxious to stir the pot.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  9. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't help but completely agree with Cosmic on this last reply. This feels a lot like it happens every few months, too.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I seem to agree with most of what Warren says, which is too bad, as it seems much more fun to disagree with him.
    I always feel the nicotine when I smoke. Even though I'm used to cigarettes, after a bowl of any tobacco (except Grousemoor, is there even tobacco in it?), I feel filled with nicotine. I can smoke two consecutive bowls of light or medium blends, but then I need a break. And yes, nicotine is definitely one of the reasons I smoke.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I seem to agree with most of what Warren says,

Scary, that!

as it seems much more fun to disagree with him.

Often my purpose. Most times I'm trying get people to think a bit more deeply and question, rather than simply accept, most everything they read or hear.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. This one is heavy and has gone a long ways. As a pipe smoker, I say the nic hit is important. I’m a lot like Goldilocks: too little and I’m unsatisfied, too much and I feel woozy (and go looking for a bed myself), but have found blends and techniques that make it mostly “just right.” The original question is one that is unanswerable, in that what is important to me may not be important to others. It’s a subjective question trying be sneaky and act like it’s objective.

Posted 6 days ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Polygon flu.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 6 days ago #
  14. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

This has proven to be an interesting thread, like many of them it comes unglued and splinters off rather quickly. I don’t smoke a pipe for the nicotine, but I love getting a good buzz from some tobaccos. I used to smoke cigarettes heavily, which is why I enjoy the sensation. It takes a good wallop of nicotine for me to feel it, though. I don’t chase it, but I do like a good buzz, especially at the end of the night. Like many others have stated, it’s really the flavors I chase. That’s what’s so great about pipe tobacco, the varieties are nearly without end.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 6 days ago #
  15. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently quit smoking a pipe, I mean vice, Because the nicotine was making my Arse Bleed. “Oops!” Wrong forum, I thought I was engaged in StrangeItemInBum.org. Sorry fellas. Moving on.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 5 days ago #
  16. oldbaccy

oldbaccy

Login to Send PM

I smoke a pipe because I can. Sometimes I think it's because I don't give a $#%& about the consequences, cancer, death etc.
    This world isn't exactly heaven and vices help us to get by and cope with bs. Try eating some jerky and then smoke a bowl of your fav. baccy. Why? Because you can.

As far as baccy goes, I've never found a blend with enough nicotine. Pirate Kake, 5 brothers, Ten Russians etc. Bowl after bowl. Just not enough nicotine. Then again, I might have a cigar lit and a pipe burning at the same time, again because I can.

Smoke a pipe because you want to but to answer the question of how important is the nic hit, it depends on the individual who is smoking the pipe.

They say 8 glasses of water is good for you but there's no way in the world I can drink that much water a day and feel ok.

We're here to enjoy the hobby. A fun hobby it is (for now). When I'm done with it I'll move on to something else likely.
    Or I'll start caring about my health again. Naaa... Just light up another bowl of Ten Russians and read some more posts on the forum is what I'll probably do.

If I rattled any chains, I'll apologize in advance but only because I can.

Posted 1 day ago #
  17. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Make that 8 cups of coffee instead of water and I think you have my daily minimum!

As for nicotine, I don’t even feel like I get a hit. I just relax with my pipe and contemplate whatever comes to mind whether it’s something as meaningful as the grass growing or as meaningless as the days’ political shenanigans...

Posted 1 day ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lightmybriar, zack24, ekert, donjgiles, dukdalf, sigbullet, mso489, aldecaker, papawhisky, elpfeife, sablebrush52, didimauw, jpmcwjr, pitchfork, morgansteele, madox07