PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm curious to hear how important the button on a stem is to others. It has become the primary factor for me when deciding on which pipes I like, want to own, and want to keep. I'm a clencher and hate when a pipe does not feel secure or does not allow for the jaw to close naturally and comfortably. I used to think the thinner the better, but have found that I don't like really thin buttons. I've been going through pipes quickly for this reason, as it has become an issue for me lately that previously didn't bug me. It used to be aesthetic, shape, weight, bowl diameter, etc...; and while those are important... the button is the most important to me now.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I get along well with most buttons, but when I find one that isn't comfortable, it does ruin the whole damn pipe for me.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's fairly important to me, but I'm probably an outlier in that, while I'm a clincher, I don't like a prominent button. Just about any degree of button at all is enough for me in terms of grip.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The real question, I suppose, is how much thought the pipemaker gives to the button. Artisanally made pipes are a different matter, since the pipemaker is usually quite skilled at his art, and pays great attention to every detail. Factory pipes may be a different story altogether. Peterson, for example, are generally quite solidly made, and usually have a substantial button. I've looked over a few of my Stanwells, and they seem to be ok. Perhaps MotherNature will help this discussion along by advising us which brands seem to have weaker buttons, and more to the point, perhaps contact the pipemaker about the problem.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"How Important Is The Button To You?"
That depends upon the button...
th

th

th

M

@ravkesef, it's not a particular pipe or maker that I'm referencing. It's meant to be a general discussion based on the button of a pipe becoming more important to me over time. In short, I recently found a button on a pipe that is more comfortable to me than any other previous pipes I've owned. It's had a major effect on me as a pipe smoker and was just curious if any other forum members have had a moment when they find the perfect button (meaning a button that creates the optimum personal smoking experience) and realize how important a button can be to them. I never gave the button much thought, and just smoked my pipes; until I came across a button that significantly (front and center) changed my smoking experience, again, mainly as someone who clenches.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
My Savinelli 320 keeps falling from my mouth almost each time I smoke it. I has a button, so I guess it is the way the whole stem is designed that matters.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The button is of huge importance to me. If the button is not large enough and shaped properly, it ruins the smoking experience for me. I clench all the time and need a well designed button. All of my 44 artisan made pipes have excellent buttons. I know what to look for when buying an artisan pipe. I am always on the lookout for certain pipe makers because I know their buttons are going to be great.
When it comes to factory pipes, I have seen some good and bad buttons. I recently bought a Pre Transition Barling and it took a couple of smokes to get comfortable with the stem. It does not have a large pronounced button like I am used to, but the stem is thin enough where I can get my teeth to a comfortable position. My Willmer has a nice button as does my Upshall. My lone Castello has a decent button, not bad but not great either. My Lane Era Charatan has the double comfort stem and is comfortable even though the button is not very pronounced, Again the stem is thin enough to make cleching easy.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Extremely important. A bad button defeats the whole point of smoking. I've had some pipes that push the edge of acceptable with buttons too large in the center, really making it difficult to clench, but they usually find a niche; my standard choices for pipes usually are the standard Peterson fishtale that seems just right. Nordings can vary so watch out for those before smoking, the button might be thicker than you can handle.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
MotherNature is right, and I agree--the button is quite important, but I'm still unclear as to what dimensions or proportions are necessary. I suppose mine always fit appropriately because I had a professor in grad school who remarked that he always wondered how I kept from setting myself on fire. It seems that as I dozed off, he would watch as the pipe dropped lower and lower, but apparently the button must have caught on the right spot on my teeth, so I never dropped a hot pipe into my lap.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I mostly smoke my pipes while not wearing my dentures because I can taste the tobacco better. I prefer a flatter button because it won't hurt the roof of my mouth and gums. I use softie bits to aid in gripping if I'm clenching a pipe. I've got 4 Falcon stems with those dental stems and even with softies they can really cause me problems. I don't clench those stems. I bought the dental stems before I had my teeth pulled.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't focus as intently as some on the button. I understand the interest, but I seem to adapt to many different buttons. I have one P-Lip Peterson and like it well enough, but one is enough. But I always listen up when people discuss this, to see if there is something I am missing. None of the pipes I own has a button buffed down to nothing. That would be irritating.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Buttons are important to every pipe smoker whether they think so or not. As in, if a button is uncomfortable enough to disrupt or interfere with the smoking experience, that pipe won't get chosen often. And as we all know, pipes that don't get smoked much usually end up being sold, traded, or given away.
The same is true of the entire bite zone, in fact. Same story---too thick, too rounded in cross section, too wide, too narrow, too wedge-shaped, too sharp, you name it---if a pipe doesn't fit decently well it won't be smoked often; and if it doesn't fit REALLY well, the pipe will never be a favorite.
How do I know? People tell me all the time. Making stems is a big part of what I do, and get asked often to replace ones that are NOT broken or worn out with tailor-made ones. (Usually a loose stem from a favorite pipe is sent as a pattern.) Sometimes with large and/or heavy pipes the issue is length (because shorter feels lighter) in addition to button height, for example:
xjuRRPF.jpg

Culenjv.jpg

I saw a YouTube once on this forum on making a factory button fit better in the chompers. The guy used files to level the area behind the button and reduce the thickness. Then he used sandpaper and a buffer. I've found factory pipes do need a little attention to tweet them, and even a few artisans. I suspect quite a few artisans are using mass produced stems though.

George, was it you who made the video? For some reason, it seems like the guy was explained as being the best pipe repair guy, so I thought it might have been you. But, my memory is not the best.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I don't know, Cosmic. Maybe. There are a LOT of videos out there. I did make one a few years ago by hiring a neighbor kid to set up some lights and run a camera, but neither of us knew what we were doing and it ended up getting uploaded (by accident) in a nearly raw state---way too long overall and in need of considerable editing.
Never was tempted by movie stardom again. :lol:
The original intent was to address a chronic problem seen in Kansas City Carving Contest entries. A, "This is how you do it, so no more excuses!" sort of thing. (I'm the contest's longest-serving and crankiest judge so can get away with stuff like that. :twisted: )

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
just curious if any other forum members have had a moment when they find the perfect button [...] mainly as someone who clenches
This describes me. I've been smoking a pipe for a couple years now, and was pretty much content with my Stanwells, Radice, old Comoy's, etc. (well, I still like them but...), until I got a Le Nuvole, then a Kyriazanos and, recently, a Becker. The button on each of these last three purchases has been better than the one before it. With decent artisan pipes available on the estate market for as low as $200, and new from $300 on up, I've now decided that I'll be primarily concentrating on those. And the button is about 50% of the reason why (the other being just how darn dry they smoke, which I assume is due to the briar curing process).
There is a special place in hell for basement commandos with buffing wheels who lean the bite zones of pipes into them until their buttons are little, rounded nubs.
One of my very first pipes was a Sixten-designed registered no. Stanwell acorn. Beautiful pipe, but the button had been buffed down to nearly non-existent. I have to use a softy bit to even get a grip on it. Now that I have more and better pipes, it rarely gets smoked, unfortunately. Can't bring myself to part with it (yet), though.

M

I couldn't agree with you more on the Kyriazanos mention @dublinesque. I've got a few of his pipes, and the button on the straight bulldog I have is my second favorite button. I bought the pipe based on it's shaping, size, and bowl diameter; but got lucky that the button really agrees with me. If I'm following you... the Becker is your favorite? If so, is it enough to where you kind of wish all your pipes were Becker's. That's where I'm kind of at with my number one button.

Status
Not open for further replies.