PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first began looking for different blends to try, tobaccoreviews.com was my place to go. What I did was find a few guys who I saw who liked one of my favorite blends( Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug) and then searched what other blends they enjoyed. When I began using the site it was 2001. I found a bunch of guys who had similar tastes to mine so each time I saw a blend they enjoyed in the category that I liked smoking( VA, Vaper and Vabur Flakes) I would try a tin to see if my tastes matched up with theirs. I ended up getting most of my favorite blends from that site as sites like this just did not exist. All of the reviewers I followed were the guys who were on there from the beginning. I still use this system even today although not as much because this sites existence, and I cann just ask you folks.
Here are the names of the reviewers I followed.

Sykes Wilford

NEWMAN

Tantric

Paddy

Colonel Panic

Eulenburg

cakeanddottle

Noorrmm

Beer (302)

LoisKelly
They used to also have a star system with 4 stars being the highest, but I no longer see that feature. So if you find some people with similar tastes as yours, check out their reviews and maybe you can also find some favorites. I would have to say that probably 90 percent of my favorites came from this site. I wish all of you good luck.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
That is the same way I use the database. I also make it a point to check out JimInks' and PipeStud's reviews, too.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Jiminks is on there with a ton of reviews. I trust his tastes completely. I use the same concept but generally do not check with TR until I've smoked at least a half dozen bowls. I've cheated a few times and peeked first but it's more satisfying to reach your own conclusions and then see what your trusted reviewers have to say. Some of the blends get hammered with the number of reviews and there are a few numbskulls that have no idea what they are talking about so you almost have to follow a trusted few.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Good system, Harris. I usually just look for Jim Inks' review. I'm also guided by the consensus, provided the tin description appeals to me.

Of course, my way doesn't help to discover new blends, which, I think, was your whole point.

I've never really followed anyone else's reviews. Maybe I should give those guys a look. I do give pipestud's reviews a read over when I see them. But, mainly I use the site to see what is in the blend, is it cased, does anyone seem to think it's cased or topped (if they seem to be the sort to know what those mean), and I skim the reviews to see if there is a pattern. But, I pay more attention to all of the information above the review section.

And, I always assume that my own tongue is going to be my guide.
I have seen a few tobaccos that were obviously victims of bandwagons, people all just copying what the first reviewers said as if they never tried it. The Formers Private Stock comes to mind. The first reviewer said it was an aromatic, then several others said it was as well, all saying it disgusted them. But, it is a straight Virginia all the way. It was obvious that no one had actually tried it. But, I'm glad in a way. It was easy to stock up on it, as no one else seemed to be buying it.

So, I don't take any of the reviews too seriously. But, some I read because they are hilarious. There are some very creative people on there, but I don't let what any of them persuade me. Some bad tobaccos are worth trying, just to have had the experience. Even though I was repulsed by them, I am glad that I gave a few Lakelands a try, just to know what all the hype (or disgust) was about. And, I am glad that I at least gave 1792 a try. That one I do enjoy when I am in a mood for a mule kick to the head and an assault on my tastebuds, haha. Sometimes, I just deserve 1792. :puffy:

Mar 1, 2014
One afternoon I went and upvoted about half of Pipstud's reviews, and a large percentage of JimInks. It annoys me when they get lost among the rabble.
I also like DK, and Gentleman Zombie for some reason. I think he shares my enthusiasm for strong aromatics.

(At times I have taken note of Norm and Beer too.)

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I use the reviews like I would for most any product. If there are a lot of one and two star ratings I look deeper. If there are numerous three and four star ratings and few to zero one and two stars, I will most likely try it.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
tobaccoreviews.com is the only one essential website on pipe smoking.
Well, just in my opinion, and in the way how I consume pipe tobacco. Forums are good fun, to share joy and experience, and to gain some knowledge and exchange ideas; on the other hand, databases are good solid references. Of course you can 'like' a review, I would still call tobaccoreviews.com is serving more as a reference database than as a communication platform for users to interact.
I smoked mostly just 2 tobaccos: McClelland Blackwoods Flake & Murray's Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, but they became not so easily available to me and I started the search for their more easily available or even more superb replacements or matches in Europe and led eventually to my zeal of getting some quality pipe smoking pleasure.

I do use the database to look up the manufacturers' description as well as in the way cigrmaster does - read some other smokers review and find out who may have a similar preference as I do and try to follow their other reviews (and I do miss the star rating system). However, the ideal way I think would really be like cosmic & settersbrace trying not to read the reviews (at least not before the first 3+ bowls) and provide one's own original opinion about the certain blend.
At the moment, I am trying to use the database to guide my exploration of tobacco and purchases, however it does not always work - for example the lowly rated Belle époque from Larsen (2 stars) is actually the same tobacco according to many as St. Patrick's Day 2015 from Peterson (which is rated to the max 4 stars). And for me there are 4 stars tobacco purchases that were disappointing and some samples of tobacco rated 2 stars which were pleasure surprise. As for my quest, I searched for almost all the review entries on blends that say tasting like McClelland Blackwoods Flake - I tried many of those blends suggested and NONE of them taste like it to me, at least to my palate.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cortez, yes my point is that I have always used TR to find new blends in the categories I like, once I have read the reviews of the people I trust, I rarely go back to read other reviews.
I also think it is a very good database to see what is in a blend and who makes it. For example, I like a number of blends made by Kohlhase & Kopp, so while I am perusing the site, if I see a blend made by these guys, I will pay attention to what is in it and then look for the people I follow to see if they have written annything about it. I will definitely have to go look at jiminks reviews because he and I have similar tastes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
TR can be a useful tool as long as it's combined with other sources.
Ultimately, it comes down to your own opinion as even the most "prolific" of reviewers are not always right.
A very recent example for me was Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake.
One reviewer mentioned here gives it a very low rating while another gives it 4 stars.
Harris would "thumbs down" it just due to the fact that it contains Red Va's.
So, use the online resources but, in the end, always form your own opinion.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I like using the sort feature to find similar blends based on types, ingredients, and cuts. Using this I produced a master list of 50+ flakes, slices, ropes, coins, and kakes that I am working my way through. I sometimes go for the highest rated when ordering but more often than not, I'll order based on a passing comment that someone posted here at PM.
I like flakes, so that is the only real qualifier for my to-try list. There is some serendipity to the blend orders - some pleasant, and some not so pleasant. SG Brown Irish Twist xx and Black Irish - naah, not so much. On the other hand, I ordered Bob's Chocolate Flake, a Lakeland aromatic that I would never have purchased except that it was next up on the list. It turned out to be one of my favorite blends of all time.
In the cigar world, the name on the band is a fairly reliable predictor of quality and style. I know I will like any Padron made but would be very surprised if a Comacho made my favorite's list. (Comacho is a very high quality and respected line. I just don't like them that much) I can't generalize pipe tobaccos that way.
BTW, I when I light up a bowl containing a new blend, I frequently WILL read the reveiws while I'm smoking it - just to see if I can find the flavors that reviewers say they taste in the blend. I usually can't differentiate between cocoa and dark chocolate or the various other food flavors mentioned. I do try to taste the perique or the darkfired burley or the yellow vs red Virginias. I'm not saying I can't detect some of those flavors but I wonder how much of that exists in tin and how much in my mind.
I'm not saying other's can't do it. Some people have better eyesight and others have better trained palates. But I do believe there is a lost of copy cat reviews being written. And maybe most are done unconsciously. After reading umpteen times that Escudo tastes of dry hay and grass, I probably can smell it.

Not that anybody here does that of course.
Which is a good reason to not to read the reviews until after you have a few bowls.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Ultimately, it comes down to your own opinion as even the most "prolific" of reviewers are not always right."
I agree, that it comes down to your own opinion, but disagree that a review/reviewer can be "wrong." It is all opinion. If a reviewer mistakes the component parts or some fact that is another matter. Using the Tobacco/reviewer in question, there were four reviewers out of 21 that gave it one star. The average is 2.9 and the other reviewer gave it three stars. So it could be argued the three star reviewer is "right." But, when 20% of the reviewers give it one star, that is a huge red flag for me. I spent some time deciding on what tobaccos I want to cellar/stockpile. My main three have zero one stars, two have zero two stars, and the third is only four stars. The reviewers in question both give two of my choices 4 stars and have not reviewed the third. In the end, I a more than happy with my three main choices.

Tobacco Reviews was most helpful in the decision/process.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm a fan checking TR for what folks have to say. I don't base my entire decision on what I read there, but I like to get feel for what others think before putting in an order of stuff I've never had. I've kind of felt my way around enough that I can get an idea if I want something without TR.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cobguy, I would actually rate Dark Strong a 4 star as I love the flavor of it. I smoked an entire tin of it back in the day because I loved the flavor so much and back in 2003 when I was smoking it, either they put less Reds in it or my affliction was not as bad. I would never give a low rating to a blend just becasue I cannot smoke it. Marlin Flake, Hal O the Wynd, 5100 Red Cake would all get 4 stars from me as I loved the flavor of them all. I cannot understand why people who don't like Engish blends go on there and even review an English blend if they don't like Latakia. I see that crap all the time on TR where people start out saying, I don't like aromatics but I think this particular aromatic sucks for what ever reason they give.
Reviewers like that are a complete waste of space and should just be ignored. I have a couple of reviews on that site and I only review blends from the category that I enjoy. TR is a great guide, but it is never a substitute for your own tastebuds. I would have never found most of my favorites if it were not for TR. I had no way to get the information I needed back in 2000 to see what was in certain blends. The retailers back then did not give much information on the tobacco they were selling. The descriptions today are much better than years ago.
This is what we looked at from retailers back in the day.

http://www.marscigars.com/wessexbrigade-campaign.aspx

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I cannot understand why people who don't like Engish blends go on there and even review an English blend if they don't like Latakia."
Agree. Makes no sense to me either. Also of no use to the prospective pipe tobacco buyer.

"I cannot understand why people who don't like Engish blends go on there and even review an English blend if they don't like Latakia."

Well... for those of us who also don't like English blends, it might come in handy. What if they liked it? It might mean that I, as a guy who also hates English blends, might like it too, Ha ha ha!!! And, if they don't like it, it affirms that I too won't like it. :wink: ha ha!!
No, I think the whole review thing is egocentric. Look at me, I'm a straight Virginia smoker, and I hate aromatics. Or I hate Englishes. Or, not enough latakia for me, because if it doesn't taste like a campfire, I'm not going to like t, ha ha.

But, like Harris said, I guess it's better than what we used to have, especially since the tobacco companies are going to out and out refuse to put which tobaccos or flavors are in the blend, and many make their damned tins so obscure, you'd never know what the heck you're buying without it.
I do like the creative posts on there though. I can't remember what blend it was, but someone had posted, "you'd like this blend if you like the way a dirty fat man's sweat tastes after smoking a maduro cigar," or, "it has the undertones of sweaty sex." Ha ha. These types of reviews might not be helpful, but they crack me up and hold my attention.
But, mostly I am perusing the review site when I am at the B&M trying to figure out one tin from another. But, as I've said, I don't take the review parts as serious as the stuff at the top of the page. Usually, I take reviews on here more seriously when shopping online. But, even on here, I wish people would also add whether they are reviewing this or that to get free tobacco from companies like Sutliff. I think it would make it more honest and let us know who are the tobacco whores just getting their free tin of swill. That is a pet peeve of mine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cosmic, you are saying that peope review tobacco on this site just to get free tobacco? I had no idea that was going on. I think that really sucks that people would write up a review just to get a freebie. tobacco is so freaking cheap that I would never waste my time reviewing something just for a freebie. Now if someone really loved a blend from Sutliff and was actually buying a blend to cellar for themselves, then sure write a review, but writing just for the sake of free tobacco, please stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.