PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I won't mention specific names in this little tale because I don't want to embarrass anyone's family. It is a true story. Many years ago, a person who was active in promoting healthy lifestyles appeared on a TV talk show. Towards the end of the interview, this person declared (not exact words) " As a result of all these things, I will live to be at least 120 years old." Immediately afterwards that person had a heart attack or stroke, and died on the show. The moral is:?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Heart conditions are sometimes hard to detect. I think the most telling case I've heard of would be Alexei Cherepanov. He was a kid from Russia who was drafted at the age of 18 in the first round of the NHL draft a few years back. He went through all the physical workouts and examinations by league and team doctors. He passed the physicals and was said by the physicians to be a young man in top physical condition with no real worries of injuries. These doctors go into in depth family history for the teams as well determining if he'll likely have bad knees based on bone structure, family history, and what not to advise the team whether or not he's worth drafting and a ballpark salary figure based on injury potential. After all that he got drafted and played in the professional KHL league in Russia. While playing a game he had a massive heart attack and since the arena didn't have a defibulator on site the young man ended up passing away. It amazed everyone in the hockey world that a heart condition could have escaped the NHL league doctors and team doctors at the combine because that's something they typically look for among other things.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
"I, the LORD, will punish the world for its evil and the wicked for their sin. I will crush the arrogance of the proud and humble the pride of the mighty".

- Isaiah 13:11

Aug 14, 2012
Kash: And the Nazarene said, more or less, "do not tempt God." This wasn't in it, but do you know "The Gospel of Thomas"? I hope it is ok to talk about spiritual matters here. These are not religious things because Thomas is not recognized by the Church. Any problem, monitors?

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
As my Father used to say, Don't call attention to He who does the final accounting.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Personally, I don't believe that God doesn't directly punish our sin in an "eye for eye" manner. However, there is a clear idea in Romans that the "wages of sin are death" - ultimately this is the death of our souls, but I think, in an earthly manner - it results in a sort of spiritual death.
So did that guy keel over because of his statement? Doubt it? As a man of faith, do I believe that my sin carries consequence? Yes. Both in the temporal and eternal.
Chris

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen, who is wonderfully talented and often described as a difficult

personality, said that what he has learned through experience is that he isn't in charge here. People are

led to believe, and rewarded for acting as if, they have decisive control of their lives. And alas, we don't.

And it helps if we know that.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
+1 on the Gospel of Thomas (and Philip too). Powerful stuff. I think religious posts are generally verboten, but I think it's sometimes overlooked if it's not inflammatory.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen, who is wonderfully talented
+1 A number of Cohen's songs contain a lot of wisdom and meaning. Two favorites are The Future and Everybody Knows.
James had something to say related to this, ch. 4:13-16:
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
This sort of belief goes outside of Christianity, as well - the word "hubris" is from the Greek, and Greek mythology included a cadre of Furies whose purpose was to pursue and punish the overly proud, preferably in a public and humiliating (and often lethal) fashion.
In Norse mythology, pride wasn't necessarily seen as a bad thing - but overdoing the boasting could still have fatal consequences, as in the Saga of the Jomsvikings, where a band of Vikings swears an oath to do something lethally stupid, and all of them die as a result.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
The owners of the Titanic stated before its maiden voyage that "not even God can sink this ship." The rest is history...

Aug 14, 2012
Great observation flyguy. Don't tempt God or take Him for granted, or He pushes a button and you are gone. For those that do not believe in him, don't fret, He believes in you (until you get egotistical). He, who is really neither he nor she, is a loving Father, but has limits to His patience. You may address Him in any respectful manner, God, Allah, Jehovah, Vishnu or other such names. He is none of them but welcomes the communication.

Aug 14, 2012
lord: As Walt Whitman said "Do I contradict myself? I am vast." The bible was written by many different people. It is part wisdom and part propaganda. You have to discriminate between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.