PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its Sunday and as I sit slicing Condor off a plug I wanted to know how finely you all sliced your plugs. I like to start in the corner and make my slices about 1/16 inch thick and then rub them out before packing my pipe. What do you plug chaps like to do?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have a large chef knife with a thin blade. I slice lengthwise across the plug and this knife lets me slice it very thin. Then I rub it out into a fine shag and let dry.
The only problem is when there is just a little corner left. I usually chop those up as fine as I can and mix with the shag.

May 31, 2012
I use a Yankee Slicer like this,

but mine doesn't have the decal...
6gnr0Op.jpg

...and cut the plug into average sized flakes,

then usually cube cut the flakes.
Works good for me.

:puffy:

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
A big huzzah for the Yankee Slicer. With a good sharp blade plugs can be sliced paper thin, if so desired, with little danger of bloodletting. I usually cut several thinner than 1/16" slices. Quick to dry and easy to rub out.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I cut the entire plug into flakes and put them back in the tin for about a month.
When ready to smoke the blend, I take out a couple of those flakes and cube cut them.
After the cube cut it gets some drying time prior to smoking depending on moisture content.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm just using a kitchen knife (Chicago with carbon blade), and I doubt I get it down to 1/16th, though maybe

a little thinner than an eighth. I think thicker may slow down the burn to good effect. I don't want to reduce

it to loose tobacco thickness; I already have that on hand. I tend to rub it out, or at least break it down a little

so it packs. The Yankee slicer looks pretty wonderful, but my life has so much stuff in it, when I can

multipurpose with a thirty year old kitchen knife, it's good, very good.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I use my Great Grand Fathers iron bladed knife and have done so for thirty odd years and it works a treat on plugs like Condor. If you are very good I will post a picture of it when I get back from the pub in an hour or so!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I use a 60's era Barlow knife for cutting my plugs ... still sharpens up to a razor's edge!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would love to get one of those Yankee Slicers. All the ones I ever seem to have an option to get are large cutters. I need something small and compact.

landon

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2013
Does anyone still make plug cutters? And if so where can one purchase one?

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've been using an Ulu knife with cutting board. I cut a thin slice lengthwise and then cube cut it.
I really like that Yankee Slicer though!

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"Does anyone still make plug cutters? And if so where can one purchase one? "
Nope. You gotta hunt one down and trap it. Hit the web and good luck.

landon

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2013
Been thinking about making one. Been trying to hunt down the patent number for the Star tobacco cutter I saw so I can look up the plans. Haven't been able to find them though.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This topic interests me because I'm branching out toward the British and Irish plugs. I've been working on warrior Plug and Revor which are very different form the US plugs I'm accustomed to. I just ordered 5 different plugs from James Fox so I hope to do more experimenting with this form shortly.

Of course, if War Horse ever materializes again I'd look forward to that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.