How far do you have to drive for tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
This is actually as much me venting a little as asking a question.
You can buy cigarettes and cigars in pretty much every store and gas station around here, but there's not a single drug store or convenience store or grocery store or gas station in my town that sells pipe tobacco. I either have to order online, or drive to a nearby town to a JR store.
The craziest part is that I live in Central North Carolina. This used to be the leading tobacco producing state in the country, but I have to drive fifteen miles to be able to buy pipe tobacco.
Just curious - how many members can't find pipe tobacco in their hometown?

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Same boat, same state. I have to drive from Taylorsville to Hickory to get it. Haven't had time to look around a lot yet. I have found a couple small smoke shops that carry some OTC blends and a IGA that has a good selection of them also. But both are over 20 miles away. IGA is closer to 40 miles.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
So far I've been surprisingly lucky living here in northwest NJ. There are two B&Ms right here in my home county, my main one only 10 minutes from home and another 20 minutes away. The next closest one is 45 minutes away in Milford PA. Finally there are three others here in NJ, each about one hour away. So go ahead, say something bad about NJ.
Actually, I'm shocked that NJ hasn't yet caught up to the other nanny states that have enacted crippling legislation against tobacco, while at the same time picking our pockets through taxation of same. Unfortunately, I'm confident that my benevolent legislators will eventually get around to protecting me from myself as soon as they're finished doing whatever it is they're doing that I'm not going to like when I find out whatever it was that they did, that they did with my money. After all, I live in the enlightened northeast.
Sorry for going a bit OT...I'm in a mood this morning.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
BTW, that's fifteen miles one way. I'm about to make a 30 mile round trip to buy some smokes this morning.
To coalsmoke - Even my local Walmarts don't carry any. It would be nice even to be able to buy 'drug store' brands nearby, but no one here in Mebane even carries any of those.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I know what you mean tpicking, The Walmarts and drugstores dont have anything, not even cobs anymore, Its about 15 miles to JR's one way in Burlington, They have a B&M about the same distance but its a hassle to go to. I order all my goodies online. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My local guy is about a 10 minute drive. He has lots of pipes, and his own line of blends. There's a smoke shop not that much farther that has some stuff - mostly drugstore, but a few MacBarens and so on. 30 minutes away is a JR store. If I want a road trip, within an hour one way are two more full B&M's, with their own lines as well as some tinned stuff, and there's a third 90 minutes away. There's smoke shops,too, that I haven't bothered to investigate. I'm in pretty good shape, but still by a lot through e-commerce, just 'cause I know that I can get what I want.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I guess we're fortunate where I am. I notice the Walgreen's around here all have the basic drug store blends available and Dr. Grabow pipes. We have a local B&M and smoking lounge.
Then for the days I work in the office there's Uptown's in Nashville that really has a great selection of pipes, pipe tobacco and pipe accessories.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I guess I got Lucky Stag Is a 16 mile round trip from my place. there is a cigar shop with about 4 pipe tobaccos and 2 smoke shops in walking distance that carry OTC. and the Walgreen and super markets carry some of the OTC also.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Jungle Jim's which is a grocery store is about 3 miles from my house and they have all the Mac Baren I want.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I can get most OTC's at the grocery store about 6 miles from me. Our Walmart doesn't carry pipe tobacco at all. Some of the convenience stores carry the el-cheapo generic "pipe" tobacco. The closest decent B&M is about 50 miles away, so I order a lot online.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I'm back, and I made the drive worthwhile. Got some Mac Baren Dark twist and some of their vanilla bulk, Cornell and Diehl daVinci, Skandinavik Full Aroma, Dunhill Nightcap, and some Moontrance exotic fruit + bourbon vanilla.
Now, which to try first... (and second, and third, and... :) )

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
if ya get the chance and want to drive a bit farther the Pipe and Pint is worth the trip. they have a bunch of diffrent blends than what JRs has and friendly folks as well

knoxamus

Lurker
Oct 30, 2011
Two hundred miles round trip for me as well, It's a nice little cigar shop that fortunately sell a lot of tins and house blend tobaccos

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Living in a big city, which I hate,does have its advantages. 6 B&M's in a 20 minute radius. Only one carries tins, but all carry bulk. Four of those have some pipes. The other cater more towards cigars and have just a few bulk and OTC's.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
About 20 miles for a decent tin selection but in this state taxes are terrible and its illegal to order tobacco online.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Actually now that I think about it I believe my grocery store, which is literally a three minute or less drive up the street, carries a few OTC pipe blends. I remember seeing some PA there and I think they may have had a pouch of Captain Black too.
If I want to hit a tobacconist it's about a fifteen minute drive to the nearest one, which has a pretty good selection of tins and pipes. The other one that the Vegas pipe club meets at is about a good twenty to twenty-five minute drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.