PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kais1

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
how dry should you have your tobacco guys?
mine is crispy....i think its dried out in the sun too much....what is right then?

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I'm still trying to decide if I prefer it drier for less relight hassle or kind of moist for more flavour...

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I smoke VaPers and if I can detect any moisture on my finger tips, I deem it "too moist".
Of course my technique could never pass with aromatics.
We all have to find our own method for the type of cool sweet smoke we want.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
"Just right" does vary by blend. All I can say for sure is that "just right" is (for me) quite a bit more dry than I thought it should have been when I first started.
I spent quite a bit of time re-hydrating tobaccos that were already far too wet, and paid the price in tongue bite.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
spent quite a bit of time re-hydrating tobaccos that were already far too wet, and paid the price in tongue bite.
When it's too dry, pack it in your pipe, and blow warm breath through the pipe until you feel heat rising out of the bowl, and it will be perfect.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
chasing,
Yep. I'm pretty sure that it was a post from you that first told me that. It's a great technique!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Water is a natural byproduct of combustion, so "dry" is a relative term. I agree with the previous posters who stated that their desired degree of dryness is predicated upon the blend in question.
Having said that, I tend to prefer my tobaccos to be dryer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So different between blends. Semois and Five Brothers, for example, ship dry and are delicious. Fire Storm is quite moist and delicious. In general, I think tobacco can get much dryer than most prefer and still be smokeable, and beyond that tasty.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Lestrout likes his "crispy" but I'm a bit more moist than that!
Dry? No maam, dry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNPlp-fGya8

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lestrout likes his "crispy" but I'm a bit more moist than that!
I'm in the "crispy" camp as well ... nothing worse than steam to detract from the flavor and cause tongue fatigue.

I'm a crispy guy too. No bite and more flavor. Except in some tobaccos that I have come to like right out of the tin, which is few and far between. Try it all, and come to your own decision. I've spent years trying different methods, packing, drying, pipe shapes, to come up with my own way of getting the best enjoyment and flavor, but everyone is different.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I tend to prefer it on the drier side because it seems to burn better for me. Certain blends I will smoke with more moisture than others. Penzance I can smoke fairly moist right out of the package. Sometimes I dry it out a bit if I have time. GL Pease's Gaslight I have to dry out a bit once I slice it. Gawith blends pretty much all need drying for me...rubbed out and dried for at least 30 minutes. The Hearth & Home blends WhiteKnight and BlackHouse I tend to smoke on the dry side since that's how they come straight out of the tin. Dunhill tobaccos are almost always the "perfect moisture" out of the tin to me. The exception is Flake, which I dry a little bit so it burns better.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke my tobacco on the moist side as for me it just tastes better. Dry tobacco burns too hot and loses flavor for me. The only 3 blends I dry on a regular basis are Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James Flakes, all the others I rarely if ever dry. I honestly don't understand why people smoke their tobacco so dry, can they not taste how hot and cigarette like their tobacco gets when they smoke it so dry?

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Dryer side than I used too, figured out what Las Vegas was good for 3 weeks ago, driest tobacco I have ever smoked & loved it. Wasn't crunchy dry.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I used to just pack straight from the tin or jar. A few weeks ago I started drying out my tobacco a bit, maybe an hour or so at 45-50% ambient humidity here. Not crispy, but not super moist either. Bowls have been so much better, and breath smoking keeps the bowl lit and the smoke cool. Tongue bite used to be an issue from all the steam coming from the wet tobacco, not so much anymore.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
For you who like it crispy, would that be crumbly? I just bought some SWR it was. It like CH or PA, it was so dry that it was like a chunk of tobacco until I crumbled it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.