PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The draft hole looks a little angled to my eyes. I'm sorry if it doesn't come out to well in the pictures. Everything else on the pipe looks great, but I'm wondering if an off-centered draft hole will create issues when smoking. Am I just being too nitpicky?
p_20190528_132355-600x450.jpg

p_20190528_132541-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you have a good and exacting eye. I really doubt that this will cause a problem, but I'll be interested to see what others say.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is off center and I would return it if it were my pipe. I don't care what the price point is, there is no reason to ever accept something like that.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
just my .02

If you like the pipe, go with it. Perfection is nice, but.....
I have several pipes where the drilling is not "perfect", but the pipes still smoke fine. I have a peterson spigot that is ever so slightly off to the side of center, but I have no problems. I have Savinelli that is centered, but about 3/16ths above the bottom of the chamber. Smokes well, but cannot smoke to the bottom of the bowl, but close enough for me. I have another Peterson that the stem drilling is a bit off center. Again, I do not notice any real issue. It smokes fine.
On the other hand, I have a vintage comoy's that is drilled perfectly that gurgles. I personally think the drilling is "close enough" works.
For what its worth, an imperfect drilling on Peterson's seems to be a bit of the norm.
jojoc

Jan 8, 2013
Doesn't look to awful to me. But it's hard to say with photos without seeing it in person. How does the drilling come out in the chamber?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all the input guys. It is probably just a minor quibble that now that I've seen it, can't un-see it. I'd like the drilling to be straight though, as it was an expensive pipe (by my standards at least) given to me by a great guy (by my standards at least). Also if there are issues with the smoke I'd like to know that its my horrible technique and not the pipes fault!

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Peterson... Their pipes look too good to resist, but they don't have the best craftmanship out there. Anyway, this off center drilling still seems to be a minor issue - but I wouldn't be happy about it. If it doesn't whistle or gurgle then you are lucky and you can use it without any problems (most likely).

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Well, if it doesn't gurgle or whistle, it'd probably be fine, but if it bothers you, return it.
Sorry ... nothing original to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.