How does pipe smoking effect your better half, mates or friends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Looking for anecdotes about how pipe smoking alters, effects your mates, friends and family's habits in a humorous way.
Mine would be as stated in the big jar thread, I have a "table scraps" jar for leftover tobacco. When my gal and I got together, it took her a while to catch on to that concept, as anything left on the table was destined for the trash when she cleaned the table off. Now, its funny, just like a bad habit, she now, non chalantly pours what is ever left on my drying paper into the table scraps jar.
She seems to spot tobacco shops faster than I do when travelling to new places. Amazing how she can read "fine cigars" at 70 mph.
She has online tobacco shops bookmarked on her laptop.
She has a perseverance for tagging along to a smoke shop, especially those with smoking lounges, and although she does't smoke she enjoys the smells of a tobacco shop. And to that note, I am also a lot more tolerant of shopping forays for things that she enjoys.
For my friends and family, I am the easiest person to shop for at Christmas. Not too much dissapointment in unwrapping a small rectangular gift and the first letters you see are Dunh or Penz
My anti-smoking brother-inlaw lets me smoke Boswells Christmas Cookie or a Christmas blend at our annual family Christmas in his non smoking home, not on my request but his.
So there's a few..let's hear yours. B

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
My pipe smoking, which has been going on for a year this month, has caused my wife and I to make more time for simple one on one conversations between she and I. Its not that we didn't talk before but it just happens more often now which is great. She will even say, like she did last night while we were watching a movie, "Aren't you going to smoke your pipe?"

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I get that too. My wife says, "You haven't smoked your pipe in a couple days." as if she expects trouble is a-brewin'.
When the dogs see me with a pipe in my mouth in the evening, they start dancing around because they know it's almost time for a walk. They would probably fetch it for me if they could reach it, but I have enough slobber in my pipe already.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
My wife does not mind one way or another really, She does mention it if I dont smoke for a day or two. Or before we start a movie ask me do I need to get one ready.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Not much really. She has tolerated my smoking for as long as we have been married. I have always smoked outside on the covered patio. Since I picked up the pipe, she will on occasion, depending on temperature and mosquito population, join me on the patio. At which time I enjoy a good beer, she some sweet white wine. I load up a bowl of a "that smells nice" tobacco and we have a solid hour uninterrupted conversation. Which is also new for us since we are now empty nesters.
Such was the time last Friday, which was excellent and pleasant ! Note the mosquito candles in the background :rofl:
Friday_Night.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My wife will also ask if I am smoking my pipe sometimes. She rarely joins me however...prefering to watch TV. Oh well. She always keeps a keen eye out for pipes and accessories at antique stores.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Doesn't matter what I am smoking. "That stinks". She wants me to quit but knows it isn't going to happen so she takes it in stride. She has even bought me a couple pipes.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
My girlfriend just makes me take two day breaks from smoking occasionally. She knows I enjoy it and I know it bothers here. Relationship is about compromise.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm lucky in that Mrs Sothron likes the smell of pipe tobacco. That said, she's not afraid to tell me when a given tobacco lacks a pleasant room note. So when our tastes contradict I take it outside. But mostly I smoke in the house so I guess I'm lucky. As state's earlier, Christmas gifts are pretty easy...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I live with my 2 sons and they like my pipe smoking. They are very glad I quit cigarettes. My daughters who are here on weekends and other times, will ask me to smoke the good smelling stuff in the house. Friends are mostly cigar guys so of course they bust my balls about the pipe, all good natured of course. No significant other right now, got tired of the dating game and having to listen to inane drivel.

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
Several of my friends are converts because of me, and several of my brothers friends as well!

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
The other day I was getting ready to watch a movie with my uncle, and I said, "Let me go outside and smoke my pipe first." He told me that I could smoke it in the house because it smelled good.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I don't have anything like that. My girlfriend went with me to the B&M and started to rush me out of there. It kind of irritated me. I sit through her boring stores. When I try to hurry her, she just takes longer.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
My fiance has had no problems with me smoking a pipe. In fact she bought me my very first pipe and when the dog chewed that pipe, she bought me a second pipe so I could take it with us on our trip to Vegas. Since then she's helped me collect more pipes and actually likes the tobaccos I smoke. I even got her to smoke a churchwarden that she now has. So I guess that pipe smoking has brought us closer :) Planning our yearly trip to Vegas she thinks i should buy a pipe while in Vegas instead of the same old tourist merchandise they have out there. I have no problem with that!

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
My neighbors tell me they like the smell of my tobacco. My wife never says a word. She knows what makes me happy and doesn't interfere. Shes cool that way.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Mick that's awesome man.

De Leon, that's a great idea. I'm going to have to start picking up pipes and tobacco any place we visit.
Since it summer my oldest son likes to sit on the porch with me late at night when its cooled off. I smoke a pipe while he chatter boxes and we watch the bats fly around. We've had some good "grown up" talks. It's nice.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I was smoking some Sunset Breeze last night and the wife made me load up my Falcon for her to have some too. She's very tolerant, but the PAD monster is becoming her arch enemy.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
my smoking got my father older sister and younger brother all into smoking as well, though my father is strickly a cigar man right now. the four of us smoking brought a large part of my family outside and we now enjoy more family time. Even my Girlfriend shares a pipe with me, kinda wish she would just smoke one of my others and let me be but ill take what i can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.