PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippocob

Lurker
Feb 20, 2018
I just got into smoking a pipe after more than fifteen years of cigars. This has led me to have a preference for a very cool, dry smoke. I'm getting fairly good results with a Missouri Meerschaum cob, but I'm curious about actual meerschaum. Is there a difference between all-meerschaum and meerschaum-lined? What are some brands I should look for or avoid?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmm ... as olkofri you should check the discussion with regards to meer lined bowls. As for comparing cob and meerschaum.. you can't really. Apart from both delivering a fairly dry smoke, there is hardly any other term of comparison. I have experimented once with Dunhill 965 in a Dagner Cob vs a pressed meer pipe that I own. The taste was quite different. I am not saying one is good, or the other one bad, I am just saying that in my experience they deliver differently. Should you prefer one taste for the other, well that's up to you to experiment.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
That too :) oh and I can think of one more, they are both light pipes - as in weight, meetschaum being the lighter of the two.

zippocob

Lurker
Feb 20, 2018
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. I'm going to keep a lookout on eBay for a good estate meerschaum.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Whoa! Before you shop for an estate meer, check out

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-thrill-of-the-hunt-a-guide-to-estate-meerschaums/

zippocob

Lurker
Feb 20, 2018
That was an informative read. Maybe I'll just buy a new one from a reputable seller instead. Or buy a couple of clay pipes.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I second the clays they are quite nice. Took a bit of getting use to for me as I like clinching the pipe with my teeth.
I personally love both the cobs and meer pipes. Be careful with meerschaum in the colder weather. I've had a couple crack on me, one was a cigar holder I forgot in the car one night. Got to freezing and it cracked in a couple of spots, but it is still useable.
Welcome to the forums and keep us posted.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
There is a fleabay seller from whom you can buy lots of German clay pipes. If you watch his sales sometimes you can get a lot for less than $25, often a dozen or more pipes. He uses family moulds that are over 100 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.