PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like to smoke my pipe and commune with one or more of my three cats at the same time. They enjoy watching me light my pipe and they don't bat at it in my mouth or hand, and don't knock it around when it is on my desk. Sometimes one will carefully study the smoke as it rises. I am especially careful not to puff the smoke around their heads, since I enjoy having both the cats and the pipe together. They don't sneeze or shy away, so I try to keep it a pleasant association. I've had some fun getting cats to chase soap bubbles, but they don't seem to go after smoke; they see it is not a solid.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My two cats watch the smoke rise, and follow it with their eyes. Molly used to like it when I smoked Old Companion, because I noticed every time I lit up a bowl of it, she'd suddenly be at my feet or on my lap. Molly occasionally likes to catch smoke rings, too.
I used to have another cat who used to chase smoke rings.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My cats wait for the cleanup as they each get a clean pipe cleaner to play with for a while.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My dog rolls her eyes at me. :puffy:
photo_zpsff28dfc6.jpg

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
My dog is mildly interested. She usually wants a sniff to see what I'm smoking, and is satisfied with one little sniff at the bowl of my pipe.

Now ash, on the other hand, she always wants to eat; Pipe or cigar. If she finds a lump of it, she eats it. Gross.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mothernature, that is an incredible portrait of your Basset Hound. What a soulful face, a little edge of skepticism and a bit of sorrow, and many deep feelings. What empathy she seems to have. That is a dog I could not stint in any way. She would test my every intention.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mso489, she's an absolute sweetheart, and has been the best dog I've ever had. She has that 'could car less' and slightly stubborn basset personality, loves people, and is a great cuddle buddy. I even share a birthday with her. Some of the best things about her are that she's not a slobber hound, doesn't bark and rarely howls, loves riding in the car, walks well without a leash, and only weighs 45 pounds. I wish you could meet her. I'm sure you two would be friends. She'll be at the Chicago show with me again this year. :puffy:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Our dog a (Pekingese) leaves the room whenever I light up and our cat stays put, when she smells Latakia, which I smoke probably 80% of the time, she lies on her back in the middle of the room and rolls back and forth. It's quite adorable, sort of a Cat-Nip light.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've posted this pic before. Felix claimed this empty St Bruno pouch, it's one of his favorite toys. I caught him trying to steal an open pouch that was on my desk last week. It's only St Bruno, he's never bothered with anything else.
win_20160609_221300-600x337.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Beautiful hound Mothernature! :) That is adorable davet! He has good taste. :clap:
Since I smoke outside, only one of the three cats has seen me smoke up close. Loki introduced himself while I was smoking outside, and has always been more interested in sitting on my lap than the pipe. He sniffed at it on occasion, but paid no mind otherwise. Nymeria, the black cat, will watch from a window but seems completely unimpressed with the whole smoke and fire business. There are birds to watch, after all. Europa, the kitten, reads me the riot act whenever I go outside to smoke. She looks me in the eye and makes chirping meows that only rarely come within the range of human hearing. Most of the time it looks as though she's wide eyed in amazement and mouthing words to a song I don't know. Loki used to be the only cat that warbled, but the kitten does it all the time now and the other has even picked it up. They all have a huge vocabulary, but the warbling sounds similar to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l75QyRYr0g8

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Whenever I get trade samples in the mail, I lay the baggies on the floor in front of me in alphabetical order so I can add them to the list of what I am smoking (and also to my review list if some are new to me, which is often the case). Suzy always comes over to sniff them, and will lay on the baggies if I'm not watching carefully. I always have to chase her away. Molly will sniff the baggies, but she won't try to lay on them.
On occasion, they do like to play with pipe cleaners. I used to have two cats (brother and sister), who would fight over a pipe cleaner. I'd twist the ends together, and Jack and Mary would have at it. If I tossed another at them, they would ignore it. They were more into rasslin' over one rather than have one of the their own to play with.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My feline companions seem perfectly happy to share a lap and a desk -- I use a broad table -- while a pipe is being smoked, but they are not fond over Latakia blends. Their favorite seems to be Semois.
Felix is adorable, and so is that droopy-eyed friendly-looking basset hound.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great wonderful critters. My trio hasn't gotten around to expressing opinions on Latakia or Semois, though I give them distinct opportunities.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife reports that her cat Teddy, in her New York years, liked to chew on her Gauloises cigarettes so much that she gave him a pack for Christmas. Our current trio of cats are snobbish and prefer only better grade cheese, but that's a different story. Eventually my wife "cut back" from the Gauloises to unfiltered Camels, and eventually quit. The cat, Teddy, lived to be 19, apparently not losing any lifespan to his tobacco chewing habit.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My childhood dog, a golden retriever was literally terrified of the sight of smoke. But if you covered his eyes, he loved the smell. The dog I have now, always gets up close and personal with my lit pipe, and sneezes every time. I have 3 cats, one loves to sit on my lap while I smoke, and smell my pipe. The other two could care less.
Interesting topic mso! Theres plenty of posts about what your significant other thinks about smoking, but pets are just as important!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I also want to clarify: I own no animals.
They own me.
Little do they realize, this means they are legally responsible for me.
No wonder they keep dragging my beer, pipes, guns, knives, and death metal into hidden corners of the house.

ttakata73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
I believe raw tobacco is toxic to most animals so best to keep them from eating any. My cats don't seem to care when I smoke but I don't puff towards them.

Status
Not open for further replies.