PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
So iv just received my first ever Tobacco ,50g's of gorgeously smelling Century 'buttered rum'. I'd like to ask you guys which container is best to keep it in to retain its optimum freshness?..... tin? leather pouch?.......other? what do you use?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Mason Jars. Realy depends how fast you are going to smoke it. 50g to me is about 5 days. I go through 8 bowls a day. I would use a pouch for that little of an amount. If you are trying to cellar/ store it away then Mason Jars.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
50g lasts me about 2 months, I just keep it in the tin and put the tin insize a ziplock bag. Seems fine, still stays moist.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
For me, a tobacco pouch is good for 2 or 3 days. Keeping it in the tin keeps it fresh for about a month. Any longer than than I use Mason or Ball jars.
Sealed in their original tins, they last for YEARS.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I found those tall ceramic canisters with the plastic seal and metal latch (we usually used for ground coffee) do well for tobacco long-term if kept mostly filled.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
When I have more than 4oz of tobacco I put it in this glass jars with rubber seals. $3 ea. at my local what-cha-ma-call-it store.
The small ones hold about 6 oz, and I'm gussing the large ones hold 10oz. Uncompressed.
P2291480.jpg

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Sealed tins for very long term, Mason for long term, Ziplock bags for medium term, tin for short term/ immediate use, leather pouches for immediate use, as in ill put tobacco for that day in the pouch to use that day

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
Wal-mart canning jars work Good...But the lids stink. You can buy the white plastic screw on lids

that fit the jars, sold right next to the jars themselves.

Stop by the stationary dept. for some stick on labels and you're all set!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Mason jars here too..I went all put & got better homes & gardens jars (cause they were on clearance)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Not to reiterate what is already obvious, but I too use Mason jars for storage. As soon as I crack a tin I put it in a Mason jar. I have kept tobacco for up to 7 years in a Mason jar and it was still very very fresh.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Leather tobacco pouches may be good for the day's smoke, if you want, but they won't keep the tobacco as fresh a s a ziplock bag. :puffy:

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Big and little Mason jars. I buy my tobacco in bulk and store it in the larger jars and move it to the smaller jars and sometimes a day-pouch. The more you open your jars, the more fresh air you let in to dry your tobacco. Thus 8-ounce (quart) jars to 2-ounce jars is my method. A day-pouch only when needed for that day. Click on pictures to enlarge:

The larger jars...

The smaller jars...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
If it comes in a tin, I keep it in there. When I buy local bulk tobacco, I roll it up in its bag and put it in a air-tight plastic container I bought at my local smoke shop. Those work really well and are inexpensive.

Jul 15, 2011
Once you have popped a tin, it really depends on how moist you like your tobacco. Me, I smoke most tobys on the crispy side, so I can leave a tin open for months and have no ill effects. If you are afraid of it drying out on you, I would do like others have said on here and store it in Mason Jars until you are ready to smoke it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Pipe Novelist,
When you say you leave the tins "open for months", do you mean that literally? No lid, just an open tin sitting out for months?! That IS "crispy" indeed.
I'm just curious, what brands to you "age" like this for months? I assume heavily preserved blends (those with lots of PG, like drugstore brands) take longer to dry out than unadulterated leaf.
Like I said, I'm just curious.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
While I like the Mason Jar thang - I order all my tobacco in bulk and leave it in zip lock bags that often come with the tobacco - these get put in a pop cooler with a glass of water for hydration. This works for me and I have not had any drying out or loss of flavor. Also the storage is easy - nothing to break. Now if I had a real man cave and not a patio chair out in the garage - I would probably opt for the Mason Jars. But space is a premium and since I don't have a nice storage area - my ziplocks and pop cooler works fine.
Observe:
downsize-3.jpg

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Fred that is great jar with history behind it 1922-1933 and great patina of high copper to the glass . Outstanding !!!!

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Pint or quart mason or ball jars for long term. Odds and ends of bargain glass storage jars for desk top medium range storage. Pouch or zip locks for on the go. Small jelly ball or mason jars for daily smoking in the truck. Filled with Sugar Barrel, they fit Big Reds cup holders perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.