PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just listened to the radio show and Brian brought up the subject. I have a 36 rack and a round 6 that I store my pipes in. I like Brian store them stem up and have always done that. I also divide my 36 in sections. The top row are all my American artisan pipes with the ones on the right for Vaper flakes and the ones on the left for Va flakes. The next row down I have my Italian and my Danish pipes with the same set up, va left, vaper right. My bottom row are all my British pipes with the same right and left as above. Since I have started using Obidisian pipe stem oil, oxidization on my vulcanite stems is no longer a pain in the butt. I do notice though that the newer vulcanite does not oxidize hardly at all where as the older British stuff does quite easily. From what I have learned, it seems that there is a higher sulfur content in the older British made stuff.
My round rack that holds 6 pipes I keep my large pipes that will not fit in my 36 rack. So what types of systems do you guys use?

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have 1 ten pipe round rack that holds my regular rotation smokers (thanks johnnyxpipe), and a seven pipe rack that holds my 5 family heirlooms that dont get smoked and two others that are rarely smoked. Im out of room though as i still have 2 pipes not in a rack. they stay in leather bags. all of this and my tobacco are in the unfinished part of my basement. constant temperature (about 65 degrees) and no sunlight.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a 12 rack, a 6 rack,and a 4 rack. The 6 is for Virginia pipes, the other two for lat blends. I also have a gourd calabash that sits on its own, as do my cobs.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have an 8 pipe round rack and a 7 pipe straight rack... I have a 6 pipe round rack with jar that I just found for Hawk but he ended up not needing it, so now I have to buy 6 more pipes to fill it! My meers sit on their own.
All my pipes are always stored stem up and everything is stored with the baccy in my nightstand (for now)
As far as dividing them, I dont really have enough pipes... but I am going to clean up 2 of them and devote them to some light aro's that Jack (pipeinhand) got me hooked on!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Right now I just have one I built that hangs on the wall. It holds 12 pipes. No particular order.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here's where I keep most of them.

DSC00315.jpg

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I use home made pipe rests dotted around my living room like they are ornaments.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have salvaged foam rubber barbeque lighter racks that hold novelty BBQ lighters like "fishing rods" or miniature guns (I work behind the gun desk part time at a gun shop) and cut them down to the proper size. I can store eight to ten pipes per one of two sides, by brand in the rack and shape on each side of the rack. I have 8 of those going. For regular rotation in a few day period, I have an 18 pipe carousel with a mixed up bunch of pipes that get smoked for awhile and then replaced with others. Gotta show all my pipes some love, you know? My gal thinks I'm crazy as I keep getting nice wooden pipe racks for presents but prefer the foam rubber ones. They are soft, flexible and won't mar the finish. I especially like the foam rubber for my meers.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I have a 6 rack and 2 4 racks with humidors. I'm out of space and I'm looking for a 24 rack or something along those lines. My PAD has surpassed my RAD ;)

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
My main pipe rack is right above my computer desk. since this is where i spend most of my time i like to have my "companions" close by. I have a second rack just for my meers, by the mantle keeping them nice and warm. I also have an unfinished rack in my garage, someday ill get to finish it and move it inside.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Mine hang upside down on my racks. I remember Brian stating that he didn't want any nasty liquid to travel into the stem. What are the odds of that happening? Do you guys recommend that I switch to stems up and bowls down?

Thanks and good thread!

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Mine hang upside down on my racks. I remember Brian stating that he didn't want any nasty liquid to travel into the stem. What are the odds of that happening? Do you guys recommend that I switch to stems up and bowls down?

Thanks and good thread!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Stems up with my Brighams in a six rack. Those are the only ones I have organized, the rest are in two round sixes, a round eight, and various single stands. I will find my cabinet someday...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
About half of my collection hangs on a wall down in the basement. Some are in a variety of 6-12 and 18 hole racks and several sitting in single pipe rests.Then down in the shop there's a bunch in a big wire rack.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Wazny, it's been my experience that even if I run pipe cleaners through a freshly smoked pipe, its still slightly damp in the stem and shank. When I throw a freshly smoked pipe on my rack, I want that liquid to run into the bowl and absorb into the briar and dry up. Otherwise, its going to dry in the stem and when the liquid from my next smoke enters the stem, I'm going to get a slightly off smoke.
Although I could be wrong.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
@Steve

I wonder how much damage that has caused my stems over a few months time...

What about storing them on their sides in drawers? Some of my pipes are on padding in a dresser I dedicated to them.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I doubt you've done any real damage to any of the pipes. As for them sitting on their sides, I don't see it being a real problem. I always make sure to put a freshly smoked pipe on the rack. I'll take a pipe off the rack and set it down to make room for a pipe that needs to rest. But YMMV

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Brian also mentioned that a rack is kind of the United States way of doing it. What is the European's way then?

Status
Not open for further replies.