PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
I was curious how people here store their flake tobacco? I just received my first flake ever (macbaren vanilla cream) and was wondering: how long will it stay fresh in an opened tin? And do u store it in mason jars like ribbon cut blends? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jars are it, though I admit the last flake I opened, Mac Baren's HH Latakia Flake, was such a hit with me that I haven't jarred it. I have four squares of it left and it's going fast.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
If it's in my rotation I'll normally leave it in the tin, if I open it and decide its not my thing or it needs more aging it goes into a mason jar. Anything over a couple weeks after opening off to a jar.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pressed tobacco, although more fermented by virtue of that process, and thus more abounding in properties of tobacco that ever-popular, integration and smoothness, was first made for durability. Sailor could keep it in their pocket; in rope form they could either chew or smoke it. If you buy plug, flake or rope, part of the craft of smoking is to keep it in as intact form as possible, preparing what you need as you go along. Such preparation becomes part of the pipe ritual, relaxing in its own way as smoking.
But the necessity of storing it in jars means that it must fit, so do as you must. When I used to buy pounds of plug, I would dice it all at the beginning, thinking that I'd put all the work in up front so as to get to smoking later. I don't do that now.
Part of the benefit of pressed tobacco is that the longer it stays pressed, the more time the tobacco has to take on the properties, above. Perhaps not very noticeable in the smoking, but hey!, you're smoking the pipe not for its ease but because you adore it. Take the time to add manipulating pressed tobacco to your repertoire and join the ranks of all august pipe smokers! Wear glasses and tweeds and have your picture taken with a stack of leather-bound books.

Dec 24, 2012
Nowadays, 5 mil mylar that are heat sealed.
h9gN2GJ.jpg

Reactions: ChippewaAce

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
OK. I'm new at this. Is it ok to cellar my flake in the tins until I open them and then seal them in jars? Or am I supposed to open the tins and put them in jars?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes, that is perfectly fine. A lot of my cellar are unopened tins. My bulk and open tins do go into jars, however.

May 4, 2015
Generally depends on the moisture condition when I open the tin. If it's too wet, I don't jar it right away and I'll leave it in the tin (which isn't air tight any more after it's been cracked.) When it cruises to the right amount of moisture, that's when I jar it.
Same for any cut, but if a flake is too wet out of the tin (which I find they always are because they're pressed and they hold moisture), I'll set it out by its lonesome for a while before I smoke it. I've been smoking Peterson's Irish Flake in the AM with my coffee because that's the literally the best thing in the world, and I've actually been loading it and leaving it overnight in the pipe so it's ready for me in the morning.

May 4, 2015
Those mylar bags look awesome for cellaring, but aren't they a bit pricey? Do you just use a regular foodsaver vacuum sealer for them?

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Open tins and bulk go into jars, if they need a tad of dry time (SG flakes) the jars lids stay off until...
Now the big question, do you stand the jars up or lay them down? I lay mine down.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Mine go into mason jars as is. Have been considering the Mylar bags for the future for all the tins.

May 4, 2015
Now the big question, do you stand the jars up or lay them down? I lay mine down.
I'm not familiar with the debate. What's the thought? ..that more air inside the jar makes contact with the tobacco if it's horizontal or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.