PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billporter

Lurker
Nov 14, 2012
I just bought my first twist tobacco. It's Brown Irish Twist from 4 noggins. How do you smoke a twist? I'm thinking I'll just cut off some and rub it out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also just sliced off a chunk and rubbed it out. I tried the SG XX Black Twist and Brown Rope No 4 and both were pretty strong. The flavors were very meaty and smoky and it took forever to dry it out.

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
+1 all of the above.
Also sip really really really lightly to avoid shakes and sweats. I swill down black coffee, with lots of sugar, so the caffeine off-sets the nicotine.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Take a bite and pretend it's beef jerky. Do not eat.
Let me know if you're still alive. :)
I haven't smoked a twist yet but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I tried cutting into coins and that did not work out for me, probably human error. Then I tried cutting a slice off and running it out, tasted decent. No problem with nic for me but I have heard of it knocking people over. Use a small bowl and don't smoke on an empty stomach :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I haven't smoked a twist yet but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some.

You might not want to get your "hands on some".... once you see one up close and personal.

Looks like something that might be found in a back yard. :nana:
Just kidding guys.
2nd-place.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I dunno what you're smoking Lawrence, but you might wanna tweak the title of this thread before making another poo joke lol.
Edit: :oops: Thanks, L.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Haha spartan, I would have never of noticed the typo in the title of you didn't point it out, funny how minds work.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've tried SG XX Black Twist and Brown Rope No 4. I slice off a bit, rub out onto a piece of paper, and let dry overnight. Best in small bowls, as it does have a bit of a nic hit to it. Sometimes I'll use it as a condiment to bump up the nic in another blend. Spices up Prince Albert nicely it does.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I have some G&H Sweet Coconut Twist, and I did like the others said. Sliced off some and rubbed it out, it smoked really well that way.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah, I cut me off a chunk of that SG XX Black Twist. Sliced it and diced it. Got me a pipe and ran in the opposite direction.
Stronger than a Mississippi Mule's kick. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
Only smoked twist a few times and treated it like flake - took the slices, folded and stuffed them into the bowl (as best I could). It smoked like flake too as I recall, slow and cool.
Tried rubbing it too, though I've found that I prefer not rubbing my tobacco. In my experience, the main benefit of flake and twist is the slow, cool smoke - rubbing negates this.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I smoked a couple of ounces of the SG XX Black Twist in the same pipe over the course of several months. It ghosted the daylights out of that pipe -- two alcohol cleanings and a retort-cleaning later, that XX flavor came through some VA flake I was smoking last night. Not a friendly ghost, this!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Oh man, I tried some SG XX Black Twist today. Chopped some off the end, tried rubbing it out the best I could, and stuffed it in the pipe.
Big mistake. Should have dried it out first, for approximately 24 weeks. It was like trying to smoke a wet paper towel.
After 300 relights and only smoking 10% of the bowl, then comes the nicotine hit. I got dizzy and almost threw up. It was like some cheap carnival ride. My Savinelli even started sweating.
I think I'll dry it out, mix it with Dark Star, and save it for when I want to commit suicide by tobacco.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm done with the big nic hits- I was at my sister's in Oxford Ms a couple of weeks ago, smoked some 3P...OK..a lot of 3P...along with a reasonable amount of adult beverages...and passed out...sometimes, it's very unpredictable....

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Smoking some black cherry twist as i type; slice it with my xikar cutter, rub it out, break it up between the fingers, pack and enjoy. I love the stuff, particularly the flavored ropes such as this one, the coconut twist and maple twists by Hoggard & Gawith. I am also sipping on some Laphroig 10 year and my stomach is quite empty. Nic hit is there but not overwhelming as i come to the end of the bowl. I guess i have a really high tolerance to nicotine. Lighter blends just don't cut it for me most of the time, although i do enjoy them on occasion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sliced off a few coins and rubbed them out, with G&H Black Irish X rope, not quite as heady as the brown rope, but plenty. Smoked it in a very small bowl, Peterson Belgique Rustique. Yes, it needed drying time, but I relit a lot and enjoyed the flavor and didn't get kicked by the nic so much. With that cautious approach it was pretty tasty and I want to dry some out so it will stay lit, but I'll stick with the small bowl or mix it with something milder. I enjoy full-strength tobacco, but not so it lays me low.

Status
Not open for further replies.