Tags:  No tags yet. 

How do you smoke

(48 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by trouttimes
  • Latest reply from trubka2
  1. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

When I have a day to kill in the shop/man cave, etc...I tend to load up 4 or so pipes with different blend and start with mild and work my way to wild as the day goes. When driving long distance I tend to stick to a single blend. In the evening before hitting the hay, I tend to smoke a single bowl of something like Quit Nite or Nightcap. How do you smoke?

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Usually one pipe all day long. Sometimes the same pipe all week/month. But occasionally I'll switch it up. And I have 4 open tins that I'll switch from these days.

I've grown from a one tobacco kinda guy!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It varies a lot. Ideally I will smoke a bowl of some light va or va/per in the morning, a bowl of some darker va or va/bur/per with a lttle more of a kick in the afternoon and a bowl of something heavyer in the evening. But it varies a lot.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

On weekdays I smoke a single bowl. English or Virginia, whatever suits my fancy. on weekends I tend to smoke from two to four bowls per day. I alternate englishes and Vas. I find that keeps my palate fresh.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I smoke the same pipe 2-3 times per day for a week or two, often the same blend.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't really have any hard/fast rules other than pre-loading several bowls for road trips. Wherever I am I usually have 2-3 blends handy & they may vary. Unless I've got a specific taste in mind like Chimney Smoke, Black Frigate, 3 Nuns or something, I'll smoke whatever my hand hits first.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Usually a bowl a day, a different blend each time through a rotation, a different pipe each bowl. I often smoke incrementally, maybe four or five relights, and sometimes an overnight pause. I have about a dozen blends open on hand, maybe a few more, and over 80 pipes of all kinds, a few up-market, but mostly mid or low. I favor non-aro blends, but also enjoy some aromatics as a change of pace, I'd say every dozen bowls or so.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Usually one bowl a day different pipe and blend each day.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Totally unstructured without a set routine or rules. I keep my pipe smoking simple, grab a pipe, load it and smoke. I think I'd not enjoy the pipe so much if I had to stick to some sort of schedule, seasonal pairings, etc. Not my style. But, "whatever works for each of us" should be the credo.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3 to 4 bowlfuls ,usually starting with some medium strength burley alternating with some more virgina forwards blends in order to refresh palate, yet some max 5 cigarettes or little cigarillos to keep me calm' during the day. switching between 3 pipes per day.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What warren said. I keep a half dozen or more pipes in my golf bag, and one blend in a pouch. A handful in the car, also one blend. On the counter in the utility room, a half gross of pipes and ten tobaccos to choose among as the fancy suits. All ready at ca. 70% RH, so little to no drying time needed.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Basically "whatever falls readily to hand," right, John? All time same same.

B

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always smoke two pipes at a time but I’m pretty sure everyone know that about me by now.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As soon as I get up I turn on the coffee machine. I then walk over to my pipes and fill 2 of them. If I plan on smoking a Samuel Gawith flake I will lay those out and let them dry for however long the first two pipes smoke. I usually begin my day with a milder straight Virginia flake. Usually after that it is a darker Virginia flake then usually either a vaper or a vabur, those are interchangeable. I smoke four pipes a day and sometimes five.

I smoke flakes and plugs 99% of the time and use group 4-5 sized pipes. I usually get 1.5-2.0 hours for each pipe. I am smoking for a good 8 hours a day on most days.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

1, sometimes 2 bowls per week. Different blend, different pipe each time. I’m still new so just trying to play the field as much as possible, but with some restraint so as to not become JimInks

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For some reason, I don't smoke in the morning. That's coffee and breakfast time. I don't often take my pipes in the car. I like to focus on the smoke, and driving takes the focus. Pipe smoking is down time, reflective time, time off to check in with my thoughts. But as warren says, no rules or set habits. If I want a smoke in the car, I do it. If I want to smoke in the middle of some project, I will. But I do have my ways. If I get engrossed in an activity, I usually will stop smoking and relight later.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

On weekdays I smoke in the evenings after work. So, usually 2 or 3 bowls at night. Weekends I may smoke 4 or 5 bowls per day. Kind of a nights & weekends routine.

Whatever sounds good at the time is what I reach for. Right now, I'm smoking some Balkan Sasieni which I haven't smoked in about 3 months. Just sounded like a nice change of pace.

I have a few different pipes that I tend to use and another 5 or 6 that I rarely use.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke a pipe all day long. The amount of bowls would floor some of you. I change pipes each time I smoke, but with 157 pipes (mostly cobs & Falcons) I can do that. I start my day with C&D's Pegasus and stay with that blend until I feel like smoking something else. In the evening I'll smoke only mild in nicotine blends because heavy nic blends keep me awake and it's hard to fall asleep. Yes I'm an Old Codger, but I'm 72 and have been smoking a pipe for 53 yrs, so I earned the title.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedbs999

Login to Send PM

Usually a bowl a day. Sometimes when on vacation 2 bowls one in the midmorning with my coffee and one in the evening.

Dan

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke after dinner most nights. Out on the patio most times without company. I either read or listen to a book via Audible. Glass of ice water during this time of Floridian year.

"I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing."
    -huntertrw
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ray, don't be shy. How many bowls a day. I love hearing crazy numbers.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

1 bowl per day (in the evening) during weekdays. On weekends it is minimum 2/day but when I have the time it can be more. On vacation/holidays there is a pipe hanging from my mouth, non-stop. I have no system, I smoke different blends and pipes according to my mood. This means that it can be 30+°C in the morning during a vacation and I smoke a strong English or Balkan blend with a beer and whiskey.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@cigrmaster

ray, don't be shy. How many bowls a day. I love hearing crazy numbers.

Most days I'd say 15 to 20 bowls. That doesn't include a pinch or two of dip and a cigarette after each meal.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ray, you are my hero. I love hearing that. I still work in a few Camel Blue 99's at night.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is impressive ray, I must say. I use to kind of keep track of how many bowls I smoke but not any more. Fortunately, I'm able to smoke pretty much whenever I want. If I had to guess, I'd say 4-8 bowls a day, depending on pipes used. I use to start each day with something strong, but I'm venturing into some much stronger GH/SG blends and will try to save those for a little later in the day. At least that's the plan, but we'll see how it goes.

Tim
    Posted 1 month ago #
  26. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I have absolutely no pattern.

I can smoke several pipes a day through to several weeks between bowls.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

As I have to go to the local park to smoke (no smoking in my unit block [US: apartment building]) I tend to take a book and spend a couple of hours. So, usually two bowls; single pipe if smoking only one blend but more usually two pipes and two blends. One will usually be a Balkan or English, the other most likely will be Black Frigate but I've recently tried and have been enjoying (unlike many on this forum if comments are anything to go by) Grousemoor in which case I will start with that and then move to something a bit less 'flowery'.

Pretty much the same approach all week although on Friday arvo and the weekend I might not bother with the book and just watch the yacht racing in the harbour (several local yacht clubs nearby but I noticed yesterday quite a few international registered boats so I guess there must be more than a local competition coming up very soon).

Other than that; if meeting mates in a pub or to watch rugby (Manly Marlins should anyone be interested) I'll lunt on the way to/from said event.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Ray, that reminds me of one of my uncles in Ireland; he was contract furniture and cabinet make who spent all day (and most of the evening) in his workshop. Whenever I visited he had a bowl on the go or was just finishing one in which case the next would follow on pretty much immediately. He's the only person I've met who chain smoked pipes!

I've no idea if he smoke only the one pipe continuously but I suspect that was the case as he always emptied out and refilled the same pipe when I was there.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ray, you are my hero.

That is impressive ray, I must say.

Prior to retiring I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day along with smoking maybe 5 bowls a day. I was a crime scene investigator prior to retiring and the stress was enormous. I eventually gave up the cigarettes after retiring, except for one after each meal. The pipe and dip took the place of the cigs. That helped me kick the cig habit. I could do without the cigs entirely, but there's something about a cig after a meal that draws me. My wife has always complained to me about my heavy pipe smoking, but it's better then smoking all those cigarettes. By the way, I get a checkup every 6 months and a chest x-ray every year and my doctor, who is in his 40's says I get better results on my tests then he gets on his.

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@Timelord, Excuse me, what? No smoking in the unit block? What kind of retarded law is that? Madness.

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's the only person I've met who chain smoked pipes!

Well @timelord you just met a second person.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

@daniel. Unit blocks in NSW (probably much the same across Australia but laws are made at state/territory level) have management committees (made up of the owners) and a 'strata manager' (a third party property management company) which actually manages the building. The strata manager ensures everything complies to state law but the management committee can also make bylaws for the building which are then also enforced by the strata manager.

In the case of the building I live in the building has a no smoking in communal areas rule; it also has two very un-Australian ones of no alcohol in communal areas and no BBQ anywhere in the building (i.e. not even on private balconies). The no-drinking rule is very new but was brought in because some Twit got drunk on New Years eve when watching the Sydney fireworks and fell off the garden and on the rocks at the bottom of smallish (5m) cliff - we don't have fences or other permanent barriers on the harbour edge but do have childproof gates to prevent access to the garden. Unfortunately said Twit tried to sue the building claiming it was all unsafe and he was sober; fortunately there were enough witnesses for Twit's case to get thrown out of court; anyway if he had of been sober he would probably have hurt himself a lot more than he did! However, the upshot is now on-one is allowed to drink in the garden at anytime and they also erect a very ugly temporary fence for New Year.

Oh, and I can't smoke in my Unit because I'm renting and the landlord doesn't allow it (I have no problem with that; we actually have the same clause in the tenancy agreement for a flat we own and rent out in London).

Fortunately the local park is actually the same distance from the front door as the garden so smoking in the park is no hardship (although possibly also not legal). (BBQ's are allowed in the park as is alcohol so it does get used a lot for parties and the occasional wedding by locals.)

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On vacation: Once in the morning,once in the evening,once in a while at mid day.Sometimes the morning fill up will last me til evening.
    When at Work: At night after all is said and done.
    The light up is slow and easy,no puffing like a locomotive.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I probably smoke 4 or 5 bowls each day, usually from a Peterson, Stanwell or Bari that I picked up as estate pipes, and normally a nice cob as well, the new MM Bully being my new favorite. I rotate between Scotty's Butternut Burley, one of several English blends, an aromatic like Lane 1-Q, and a codger blend, mainly Granger. In the car, I smoke filtered cigars ie. cigarillos, 38 Special being my favorite. Late in the evening when the wife and I play our daily game of Gin Rummy I might smoke a nice cigar. Other than that I don't smoke very much.

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Usually I’ll have one or two bowls a day. Weekends can be up to five or more. I like to start with something easy and mild and progress from there. Lately Rattrays Macbeth is my go to morning smoke.

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Evenings and weekends. No real pattern to it.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  37. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

One bowl per day. Halfway through on the way to work and the other half coming home. I tend to finish a tin before opening another. Can smoke two bowls on the weekends. But winter is coming so I find myself smoking way less since I don't smoke indoors.

Pierre
    Posted 1 month ago #
  38. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been at it with help from this forum for about 5 yrs. I had acquired a cob from the drug store just to smoke some RYO I'd been using with papers and wanted to eliminate the paper. At first I inhaled the pipe.
    That lasted maybe a month?
    The first 2 1/2 yrs were an incredible immersion in all things pipes and tobacco.
    I'd retired about a yr before and had been a non smoker for about 4 or 5 yrs before my health and stress levels drove me back to the succor of nicotine.
    Thank The Great Spirit that I stumbled into pipe smoking!

I'm up very very early most days, like 2:30 a.m. and within 10 min. I'm outside with either a new bowlful or a good sized delayed gratification technique bowl of dottle from the day before. Seldom do I encounter another human, but when I do it can be very interesting.

I do enjoy about 2 or 3 bowls before and just at sunrise most days and continue smoking either outside or on the porch at the rate of about a bowl every 2 hours. Once I'm outside, I tend to stay with a pipe till it's finished, usually walking about on a shady paved right of way street in front of our parking lot.
    I don't count the #.

I rotate about 24 pipes typically and smoke almost all D&R tobacco. Believe me, I've tried a whole bunch of what we all call 'premium' blends and found then delightful, but my evolution has led me to be content with the 2 Daughters line and I don't break my little piggy bank.

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I choose a blend on impulse; and inevitably it scratches the itch since my stock is mostly Va's and VaPers -- some with Burley, Orientals and occasionally Cavendish amendments.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 month ago #
  40. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@Timelord, I couldn't live under this kind of control, it must be quite difficult. USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, these places have some weird control by their governments especially when it comes to booze, tobacco and party time.

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

one bowl a day. diff pipes everyday. mostly english and balkan. occasionally va/per. typically have 3 tins/jars open. sort of rotating blends and pipes.

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

My pipes are all small so I have 3-4 a day with different tobaccos, don't smoke same pipe twice. Usually star of the east bulk is the last thing I smoke.

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

Usually smoke a different blend each day in a new pipe.

The past two days I've been smoking MacBaren Navy Flake exclusively in a navy blend dedicated pipe (must include rum).

I have certain pipes dedicated to certain tobacco or blend types and some dedicated to only one blend.

Usually 1-2 bowls a day.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

1 bowl a day, skip a day or two depending on timing. I smoke in the evenings after dinner outdoors. If it’s too late, I just skip it, I don’t like to rush or feel I have to get a smoke in.

Different pipe different blend each time. Almost 2 years in and still defining technique and palate. So far my favorites that I will try to stock up on : Black Frigate, Balkan Saseini, White Knight, and Germain’s Royal Jersey Latakia and Virginia Cavendish. I want to like Virginia’s, but I think I’m too much of a puffer to enjoy them. I get fried and tasteless. Time will tell.

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. the85boro

the85boro

Login to Send PM

I smoke just like how I grill....low and slow

Leaves Into Ash
    Posted 1 month ago #
  46. yuda

yuda

Login to Send PM

1 or two a day, maybe 3 depending on work or the heat. I like to have a "work pipe" and some kinda pouch blend to enjoy when I'm not doing anything for like 20 mins. In the evening I'll select a nice pipe and something I've got jarred up, normally an English. A lot of this depends on work or other obligations.

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. bosmer

bosmer

Login to Send PM

On average I'd say about 2 bowls per day. Usually a no frills codger blend on the way to work and a more interesting vaper on the way home. On the weekends I may get 3-4 bowls going of different vaoers and maybe throw in an english later in the evening.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

I smoke while working, mostly in my home office (finished attic with big skylights that open - the smell stays up here), so 10+ bowls per day minimum unless I'm traveling or in meetings all day. I'm hoping that will come down with time to more like 2-3 bowls/day. I keep a couple beaters and some blends in the car and take two cobs and my pouch whenever leaving the house. As far as blends and pipe rotation - total anarchy except for the first pipe of the day, which is GH Scotch Mixture (I gather I'm one of the only people who actually likes this stuff) in one of my two ginormous Danske Club volcanoes - always pre-packed the night before.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jfred, jiminks, jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes