How Do You Resist PAD?

(76 posts)
  • Started 8 months ago by mso489
  • Latest reply from economistandfisherman
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When you decline to buy a pipe, other than price, what stops you? I think now with scores of pipes it is mostly that I already have a pipe that fills that niche. I have several nice compact bent billiards. Three zulus, two small straight bulldogs, two bent brandy sitters, and so on. Of course the variation in pipe designs, sizes, materials, etc., is almost infinite, so sometimes to make this work, I have to resort to fairly lame excuses, like I already have some pipes with that size bowl. Sometimes I can skirt around the purchase, and other times I can't. I have a number of once-unfinished pipes that have taken on a beautiful glow, but I bought another anyway. There's always a cold shower or a session of serious bill-paying.

Posted 8 months ago #
  2. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I look at the balance in my tobacco account. I’m now working with the rule that all my pipe expenditures are self-financed. I can buy more, but only with funds I obtain by selling pipes or tobacco. This, after a severe dual case of TAD/PAD.

Posted 8 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an account that is for my hobbies. I can spend the money on pipes, tobacco, guns, ammo or whiskey. If I spend the money in reverse order I can get in trouble.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 8 months ago #
  4. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is the PAD you speak of? Never heard of it.

Neal
    Posted 8 months ago #
  5. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

I also have a monthly hobby allowance in a separate account from operating expenses and savings. The hard part is deciding between pipes, pipe tobacco, cigars, beer, and whiskey!

Posted 8 months ago #
  6. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I resist buying new pipes by owning a meer that I love smoking. It's slowly but steadily coloring, plus I don't baby it and it's getting a few minor scars along the way too. It's constant evolution satisfies my itch for something different I guess.

Tim
    Posted 8 months ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm at that point where a pipe would have to be something extremely special, the greatest of white whales, for me to consider buying it. It's time to sell off pipes that I'm not using. The chase has been fun and now it's done.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 8 months ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Something that helps me is simply to reach for a pipe I haven't smoked in a while and realize what a great smoker it is, just what I've been missing. That stays my wandering eye for a time.

Posted 8 months ago #
  9. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately I seem only to curb my PAD when I have already spent my money on some other AD.

6 bottles of Scotch recently kept me from buying a pipe...

Posted 8 months ago #
  10. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

I have to balance it with all my other hobbies. Like this month is light video game wise and possibly vinyl wise as well. But I need to upgrade my turntable so I have to account for that. But I am waiting for black Friday and cyber monday to see if any deals pop up.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 8 months ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

that, and a lack of space. It has worked pretty well to keep the collection under control.

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PAD has been riding me hard for at least a month. I haven't bought anything yet as I cannot find something I love in the price range I want to spend. You would think with a pain threshold of 450.00 I could find something nice. I look at hundreds of pipes per week and none fit my strict weight and dimension criteria along with a great blast and proper shaping.

There have been a few that I do like, but don't love. I am at the point where I have to love a pipe before I buy it.

Harris
    Posted 8 months ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wear my special underwear.

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't resist. Spend every dime you have. Spend your childrens' college fund and your life savings.

Posted 8 months ago #
  15. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no resistance! I am sick with PAD. In fact, I don't ever recalling seeing a pipe I didn't like. Please offer some advice. I am sinking in pipes and tobacco and loving every moment of it!

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 8 months ago #
  16. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't ever recalling seeing a pipe I didn't like.

That's the spirit! Get a second mortgage and buy a dozen S. Bangs! Buy so many so that you're sure you will never ever smoke a third of them.

Posted 8 months ago #
  17. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've sublimated my PAD with TAD. I even buy old, previously owned tobacco that other people are getting rid of because they were smart enough to stop smoking.

Posted 8 months ago #
  18. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't enough pipes and I am trying to like the few I have and make the best of them. I would really like to have a nice meerschaum, but most meerschaums are of a kitchy "buy-beautiful-souvenir-from-Turkey-my-friend" design that I dislike. So I am being patient. That's my remedy. Patience.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  19. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I heard that the guy whose tobacco you bought eloped to Pago Pago with the millions he made from his tobacco sales and is set to unload dozens of worthless pipes from that remote location..

Posted 8 months ago #
  20. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

Resisting PAD is easy. I’m saving all my money to buy all of next year’s new blends.

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My other hobby is HO German model trains (Fleischmann) which means I get HOTAD along with PAD and TAD. I don't have an explanation how I control it...I just do.

There have been times I put items in the online shopping cart and then walk away. I come back later and empty the cart realizing that I really don't need it.

Posted 8 months ago #
  22. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

TAD is my issue. The struggle is real people!

Posted 8 months ago #
  23. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I have about fifteen briars, plus a bunch of cobs, and that's plenty of pipes to enjoy smoking as many pipes as I want and as many blends as I want in a given day. That, combined with my recently-dwindling bank accounts, does the trick

Posted 8 months ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

When my yearly pipe and tobacco budget is exhausted.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 8 months ago #
  25. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Resistance to PAD is futile. I was pretty well behaved last year but am back to my old ways lately. However, now I just keep my purchases to myself and wallow in my shame all alone. One thing I have noticed is my PAD is pricier than it used to be. Tastes evolve.

Posted 8 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

stanwellman

Login to Send PM

The answer is easy: I only smoke, buy and collect one pipe: Stanwell 52, a smaller straight billiard. The older the better. There are so many different finishes and models that it never gets boring. They do not show up often, but when they do, they are always of interest. I much prefer the older ones made in Denmark with a well-made vulcanite stem. The current production from Italy comes with an acrylic stem, which is much less comfortable; I have 5 of them and am looking for someone who can make vulcanite replacement stems for those pipes based on a template that I would provide.
    I have 5 non-52 pipes: Stanwell 140 (1/4 bent Dublin) x 2 which I use when travelling, a Stanwell 32 Bulldog, a Castello billiard and a 1966 Dunhill billiard.
    I appreciate the beauty of all pipes, but collect only one so it is easy to resist PAD.

Posted 8 months ago #
  27. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

One thing I have noticed is my PAD is pricier than it used to be

Actually, mine have become significantly less expensive.

Posted 8 months ago #
  28. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As much as I'm tempted to succumb to PAD, my rational mind says 20-30 pipes is plenty, from a functional perspective as well as in terms of variety. However, if I had unlimited resources I might turn it up a notch or two, ie, buy a B&M tobacconist shop and just keep the whole store to myself.

Dot
    Posted 8 months ago #
  29. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also wear my special underwear and buy at least one pipe a year and keep it there.

Posted 8 months ago #
  30. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once you reach a saturation point, and I think most pipers get there eventually, it's not too difficult. I have enough pipes it is difficult for me to smoke most of them at least every 2 weeks. My philosophy is one shouldn't have more pipes-if you're a smoker not a collector-than you can smoke at least once every 2-4 weeks. Also helps if you really have few other pipes which really create cravings in you. The last pipe I bought earlier this year waa the last pipe I really had a craving for. Now, I might buy 1 more pipe in celebration of my retirement next spring when I'll be "free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty, I'll be free at last."

Posted 8 months ago #
  31. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

I resist PAD with my bank account. It almost drained up just for living day to day and paying my mortgage so I gladly resist it anyway

Adhie was here
    Posted 8 months ago #
  32. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is the PAD you speak of? Never heard of it.-NPOD

Neal, PAD is the acronym for Pipe Acquisition Disorder. It is my opinion that everyone should have that disorder.

Your friendly neighborhood eBay pipe seller,

Pipestud
    Posted 8 months ago #
  33. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't lol. I've gone a bit crazy with pipe buying this year. I picked up two Sam Adebayos, two Pete Prevosts, a Silver Gray, a Scottie Piersel, a Scott Thile, a Ryan Alden, a Peterson horn stemmed silver spigot, plus a Peterson 2017 Christmas 999 shape and a Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2018 120 shape. I still plan on buying a Dr Bob hawkbill at the West Coast Show this weekend.

In my defense though I have also traded in about 15-20 pipes in order to acquire the other ones this year.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 8 months ago #
  34. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...now I just keep my purchases to myself and wallow in my shame all alone.-peckinpahombre

Finally, I've found someone I can share my shame with!

Pipestud

Posted 8 months ago #
  35. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wear my special underwear.-woodsroad

Woodsroad, seriously? I've met you at a pipe show and while I've never taken a peek under your britches (and for the record, it's not a temptation), but I just don't recall your belly being that flat. Just sayin' ...

Pipestud

Posted 8 months ago #
  36. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Other than the occasional meer, I'm still focused on TAD...

"the weez"...
    Posted 8 months ago #
  37. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woodsroad, seriously? I've met you at a pipe show and while I've never taken a peek under your britches (and for the record, it's not a temptation)
    Perfect, Steve...perfect. That’s exactly what we agreed to say, if we ever got caught.

Posted 8 months ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

All I have to do is look at my meager cellar, then read all the glowing reviews of tobacco on this site.

I then cross reference my bank account balance with the cost of whatever new pipe I'm pining over.
    (it also makes it easier to figure how many lbs of tobacco I can buy for the price of that pipe I'm looking at)

Then, I read more about FDA deeming regulations.

Lastly, I just give in and buy both.

Posted 8 months ago #
  39. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perfect, Steve...perfect. That’s exactly what we agreed to say, if we ever got caught.-woodsroad

ATTENTION ALL MODS! Please, somebody remove this thread immediately!

Pipestud

Posted 8 months ago #
  40. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did I actually post that? What a blooper.

Posted 8 months ago #
  41. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lately I'have notice I was been eying for more expensive estate or artisan carvers pipes, and that is very bad sign.In most cases and by some strange reason todays factory made pipes are not meeting my criteria.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 8 months ago #
  42. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When my local independent pipe shop owner sees me gazing entranced at the wall of pipes, picking up this one and that one, he asks me, "Do you see anything you like?" My response is, "I'm looking for something I DON"T like." Same with tables full of pipes at pipe shows. Only the rare pipe gives me the completely negative response, that I'm glad I don't have to make room for that one. My wife and friends know it is easy to delight me with a pipe. If I don't like it at first sight, it takes me about 45 seconds to be enchanted in most cases. I never broke for a churchwarden or a Hungarian, but when my wife gifted me with them, I immediately got the idea. Finding that one on the back of the circular rack that I haven't smoked in a while helps. Also, it helps that the more a pipe is smoked usually the better it gets, so the ones that are well broken in and well understood always smoke a little better, or a lot better.

Posted 8 months ago #
  43. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Easy, I'll only buy another pipe when my financial status changes to millionaire.

Posted 8 months ago #
  44. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Now I know what my disorder is!!! I am new to piping but I can't get enough of looking at pipes. I got a cheap one with a kit I bought last month. Now I have 2 Peterson's, 4 Savinelli's and one Dunbar. What's the next step from there?

Posted 8 months ago #
  45. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have finally found the best way to curb PAD.

Date Ordered: 11/06/2018
    Savinelli Doblone d'Oro 100g
    SKU: 003-401-0009
    Quantity: 7

Date Ordered: 11/09/2018
    Savinelli Doblone d'Oro 100g
    Quantity: 20

Date Ordered: 11/12/2018
    Savinelli
    Doblone d'Oro 100g
    Quantity: 13

Posted 8 months ago #
  46. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Better hurry guys. I see d'Oro is going on the endangered list.

Posted 8 months ago #
  47. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's the next step from there?

Don't forget about meerschaums.

Posted 8 months ago #
  48. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are 92 tins left of the d'Oro. Plenty for anyone looking to grab it at the sale price.

Posted 8 months ago #
  49. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't resist, and cannot.

Posted 8 months ago #
  50. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got 4 pounds of it. That's enough for me.

Posted 8 months ago #
  51. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, you hoarding pig you. Have you no shame?

Posted 8 months ago #
  52. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After a long remission period I relapsed and bought three pipes this weekend.....

Posted 8 months ago #
  53. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peck, I took 3 days to fill my cellar giving everyone ample opportunity. I never hoard, I cellar with extreme prejudice. 40 tins is hardly hoarding, 8.8 pounds is actually light in comparison to other blends I have cellared.

Hoarding is what you do with 200 pounds of McClelland Virginia's.

Posted 8 months ago #
  54. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I resisted by asking myself if pipe X, Y or Z is similar to what I have already. If so, no sale. Is it non-traditional? Then no sale. Is it unique? Hmmmm. Is it priced right? How likely is it that it will be in my top rotation? This kept my from buying among about 500 pipes that crossed the first thresholds as I attended the WCPS. I did end up with three new meerschaums, and am happy with them all.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  55. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I just think about deeming regs and buy tobacco instead.

Posted 8 months ago #
  56. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By being too broke to get tempted.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  57. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've discovered that looking at pipes that are way over my budget helps keep me from buying them. Although I hope I don't eventually breakdown and buy one or two anyway.

There were 3 pipes of particular interest to me at the pipe show last weekend.

One looked a little like a pearl grade Larson but in a simple sitting check-mark kinda shape if that makes sense.

The other two were by a husband and wife carving team. I wish I could remember their names. She won a pipe of the show award for one of hers. The pipe I wanted from her was kind of a bent egg shape that would sit on its own and had beautiful grain. The pipe he had was a spectacular looking blowfish. I can't remember if the blowfish would sit on its own. He offered it for a good 25% off which brought it below the $1K mark but still just way out of my range.

For some reason sitters are really appealing to me right now.

My fear is that I'll get older and decide to have just a few really nice pipes and that's when the trouble will start...

Posted 8 months ago #
  58. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was going to lie & say "overabundance of self-control," but I know I'd get called on it in half a heartbeat. }:)

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  59. tenfiver

tenfiver

Login to Send PM

I don't. The better question is, "how does my wife resist my PAD?" I have to admit, she's doing a bang up job at it.

Posted 8 months ago #
  60. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I had been doing really well resisting PAD, until MSO posted somewhere about P&C having a sale on Peterson unfinished pipes. I'll let y'all know how it smokes in a couple days

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 8 months ago #
  61. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Poorly. Very poorly

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I just go to ebay and buy a 10-20 dollar pipe each week then throw it out when it has too much tar. So that way I smoke fresh every time.

Posted 8 months ago #
  63. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I keep a log of what I smoke. I looked at it today and discovered that a favorite pipe of mine- one gifted to me - hadn't been smoked in two years. How the heck did that happen ? I smoked many other pipes instead. I forgot I had this pipe. I have unsmoked new pipes.
    Lesson: I have plenty of pipes already and need to focus smoking those I have.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 7 months ago #
  64. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't... especially with 30% sale at Tobacco Pipes...
    But, hey... I saved $100.00!

Don

Posted 7 months ago #
  65. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I picked up three pipes and some tobacco this weekend from tobaccopipes. It was a great deal I couldn't pass up! I stocked up on tobacco from pipesandcigars at 15% off as well. It was a nice haul.

Posted 7 months ago #
  66. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mothernature said “I also wear my special underwear and buy at least one pipe a year and keep it there.” I am remembering this in the off chance you sell off one of your pipes, I draw the line at pipes stored in underwear!
    banjo

Posted 7 months ago #
  67. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Recently I asked my wife if she'd like to give me a pipe for Christmas. I'm not sure asking for a gift is resisting pipe acquisition disorder, or just deflecting it a little.

Posted 7 months ago #
  68. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An empty bank account helps.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  69. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found a new defense mechanism against PAD!

I'm still going to look at pipes but from now on they will look like this (or worse):

I know it's supposed to be a Ser Jacopo Mangia Fuoco Spongia Rusticated Cherrywood with Silver (R2) (D) but really it's a salt mill with a handle!

No. Thank. You.

Posted 7 months ago #
  70. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gave up resisting PAD. In a couple of years, I’ll be that homeless dude on the freeway on-ramp... but I’ll have a duffel bag full of damn fine pipes!

“Will Work For Tobacco”

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 7 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alaskanpiper, husky, jfred, elasmo, jiminks, jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes